• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tx to Az Attractions

MN_flyer1

Hutchinson, MN
Been saving up to make a huge family flying trip from MN to TX to AZ later this month. Looking for some insight on the must see attractions for the family (Dad, Mom and 2 teens). Like to stop at some GA friendly airports. Courtesy cars and overnight stay options are a big help to keep the costs down.

Here are some highlights of potential interest:

• Flyby the St. Louis Gateway Arch and stop at St. Louis downtown
  • Houston, Tx - Visit the Houston Air and Space Museum and Johnson Space Center
  • San Antonio / New Braunfels, Tx - Alamo and the River Walk
  • Possibly Graham, Tx
  • Tucson, Az - Pima Air Museum
  • CHD, Az - Father's 85th surprise birthday party - Likely a few days in the Mesa / Gilbert Az area

So with some of the desires above I expect some "Are you nuts!!!!" type of input and would welcome many "Well you should....."

I sure welcome recommended airports & FBO's to overnight the plane and catch some sleep. One hangup at this point is NW Louisiana or NE Texas area within about a 2 hr flight north of Houston. Any recommendations there?

Thanks for your input.

Tim

Planned route so far:

http://skyvector.com/?ll=29.5725762...51449:A.K2.KSJN:A.K2.KLVS:A.K3.KMCK:A.K3.KLJF

PS: Probably shouldn't add but I will be making the trip in a Ce**na Cardinal. Little short of fabric :)

I used to be an expert on that part of the country, having only a 12 gallon tank. All the airports I truly liked are gone except Deming and maybe Benson. Those that aren't gone have changed character - Deming now looks just like any other airport.

I am at KRFI in NE Texas just a little west of your planned route and about 1.5 flight hours north of Houston. Nice airport with cheapest fuel in Texas most of the time. Call ahead and you can reserve the courtesy car for ride into town for meal or hotel. I would be glad to show you around if I'm available.

While in Houston, drive down to Galveston and visit the Lone Star Flight Museum. It is a quality museum and if the weather is nice they usually have one of the warbirds out running it up or pulling maintenance. While there, the kids will love Moody Gardens which is not far from the museum.

http://www.moodygardens.com/

KRFI looks like a very attractive stop. If things go as planned I would get in there about dark (~6:00) on Monday. Weather has a lot to say......

Thanks for the info.

Tim

I would add in Carlsbad NM and take a day/afternoon to check out the caverns. If you're really into exploring you can arrange some time away from the standard tour. You would need to rent a car to pull this off as the caverns are a 30 min drive from the airport. The ariport was a test location for the norden bomb site, they have a small display set up at the airport. The town is classic southwest, and there are some decent places to stay & eat.
Once you get to Chandler feel free to contact me, I'm nearby at pegasus airpark (5AZ3), about 10 min by Cub away from CHD. PM me for a # or email, could possibly arrange a Cub flight while you're out this way, schedule permitting. Best fuel prices out here is near CHD...but not typically there.

Nelson

I am at KRFI in NE Texas just a little west of your planned route and about 1.5 flight hours north of Houston. Nice airport with cheapest fuel in Texas most of the time. Call ahead and you can reserve the courtesy car for ride into town for meal or hotel. I would be glad to show you around if I'm available.
Rocky is based at a nice airport. Too bad you are in a Cessna, he has a cool grass strip just west of the airport that is a hoot.

While in Houston, drive down to Galveston and visit the Lone Star Flight Museum. It is a quality museum and if the weather is nice they usually have one of the warbirds out running it up or pulling maintenance. While there, the kids will love Moody Gardens which is not far from the museum.

http://www.moodygardens.com/
I second Lone Star Flight Museum and Moody Gardens. There is also an IMax theater there.

I would recommend adding the Santa Teresa Air Museum at the Dona Ana Co Airport just west of El Paso. Lots of good US, German and other WWII aircraft in flying condition as well as car collection. I see you already have St John's AZ on for a fuel stop. That is likely to be the best fuel price you find on your trip. Gary is great and always has a crew car available if you need to run into town. You will be passing over Grants/Milan airport in NM. Not much there, but a good stop for breakfast or lunch. Wes has a fleet of old BMW crew cars and will send you off to the Wow! Diner. It's a favorite stop for the $100 burger or burrito. You've got Las Vegas, NM on your agenda. Nothing there. Doubt it's even attended anymore, but should have SS fuel. Santa Fe has a nice restaurant in the terminal building and should have a reasonable price on their SS fuel near the restaurant. If you need a maintenance day or an overnight hanger space in northern NM, I'm at KLAM.

-Cub Builder

Gaston's Whitewater Resort (3MO) is on your route as well. Fun stop, no problem for a Cardinal.

sj

I'd second the Grants NM stop. There is a small museum dedicated to the old airmail beacons, one of which is onsite, pretty unique stuff. Also recommend Double Eagle II (AEG) on the west side of Albuquerque, they have the Bombing Range Cafe on the upstairs floor of the FBO, although only open from 8-2. Great lunch items, the owner is a former chef, and great views of the airport. The FBO is also one of the best I've visited, they'll put you up overnight in a hangar, and they have a cool fireplace in their rustic lobby. And the scenery on the west side of the Sandia mountains can't be beat.

Also recommend Raton, NM for a lunch stop just after your Las Vegas NM stop, looks like it is right along your route of flight. They have a griddle in the FBO, and if you call ahead they'll have great cheeseburgers and fries ready to pull of the grill when you arrive.

I've flown through these places in my Supercruiser this year doing a tour from Montanta down to New Mexico during the Spring and Summer, and back here to Atlanta just last weekend.

I second a stop at the War Eagles Museum at the Doña Ana County Airport at Santa Teresa, New Mexico - surprisingly good!

Tucson has the International Wildlife Museum as well as Old Tucson Studios and, since you're so close while there, it's worthwhile to take a side trip to Tombstone ("The Town Too Tough To Die"). Tourist trap, but worth the trip. I called ahead and arranged for a ride into town from the airport before we flew to "Tombstone International" since there are no taxis and the airport is out of town a couple of miles. (Nothing at the airport but a few tie down spots.)

NW LA .... 3f3 Mansfield ... south of Shreveport La Friendly, Free bedrooms, free car, cheap fuel Enjoy the trip..
Fakecub.

Home base 3f3

After you leave New Braunfels head over to Fredericksburg, Texas (T82) just a little west of your route. When you land you taxi right up to the Hangar Hotel and Diner. http://www.hangarhotel.com The hotel looks like a WWII hangar and is decorated with 1940's memorabilia. The town has a lot of German influence with drinks and food. There are winery tours in the area as well if you are into that. Certainly worth a couple days time or even a short stop over. It's also the deer capital of Texas.

KRFI looks like a very attractive stop. If things go as planned I would get in there about dark (~6:00) on Monday. Weather has a lot to say......

Thanks for the info.

Tim
Bring a copy of your auto insurance for use of the courtesy car.

I'd second the Grants NM stop. There is a small museum dedicated to the old airmail beacons, one of which is onsite, pretty unique stuff. Also recommend Double Eagle II (AEG) on the west side of Albuquerque, they have the Bombing Range Cafe on the upstairs floor of the FBO, although only open from 8-2. Great lunch items, the owner is a former chef, and great views of the airport. The FBO is also one of the best I've visited, they'll put you up overnight in a hangar, and they have a cool fireplace in their rustic lobby. And the scenery on the west side of the Sandia mountains can't be beat.

Also recommend Raton, NM for a lunch stop just after your Las Vegas NM stop, looks like it is right along your route of flight. They have a griddle in the FBO, and if you call ahead they'll have great cheeseburgers and fries ready to pull of the grill when you arrive.

I've flown through these places in my Supercruiser this year doing a tour from Montanta down to New Mexico during the Spring and Summer, and back here to Atlanta just last weekend.

I stopped at grants and spent the night. Borrowed the old bmw, went to the diner and then a hotel. Good stop.

I would second the suggestions regarding Galveston and Fredericksburg in Texas....they're neat enough stops that I often (for Galveston, less often for Fredericksburg) drive there from Ewe-Stun. Depending on your available time and interest, taking a day or two to cover the Houston-Galveston route with a stop in Kemah might be worthwhile.

Not sure of the constraints on your route, but a couple of personal views on the Texas area:

- San Antonio and the River Walk are nice; I've always found Austin a more interesting place to hang out in than San Antonio and (for driving) Austin is closer to the Hill Country.....if you're in the air, either Austin or San Antonio are "close enough" to the Hill Country....for a displaced Alaska boy, I can't go more than a month or so in Ewe-stun without going to the Hill Country to get some vertical relief
- West Houston (just West of Houston :-?) airport is a decent place for GA....don't know about what they offer for car, etc (for "free") although there's lots of options in the area
- Other worthwhile (IMO) things in Houston are the Houston Museum of Natural Science...great museum and lots of IMAX shows and the Houston Zoo.
- FWIW, Luling and Lockhart both have small airports...presumably GA friendly but other than driving by/through I don't have any intel....but you can access some GREAT BBQ at either Luling or Lockhart...if you're going to Texas, BBQ is a must.

Is the old airport dog still around in Grants? I think his name was/is Ceaser.

If you need to fly into TUS I recommend Tucson Jet Center for the FBO. Went down there the other day, they put my 12 in the hangar and gave us use of the courtesy car. We were gone for a little over 4 hours. They were more than happy to let us keep it all day. Warning, the suburban they lent us had brakes almost as good as the heal brakes in my 12. Highly recommend the Pima Air and Space Museum.

Well gang the trip was mostly successful except for weather. Made the trip: LJF > CPS > 3F3 > SSF > FST > ELP > CHD > LVS > MCK > MHE > LJF

In all it took 28.1 tach hours to complete the trip.

Key highlights:

1) Weather delay out of LJF (unscheduled snow squall came through). 2 hr delay
2) Took some pictures of the Gateway Arch and landed at CPS. Ate lunch under the Arch but did not have time to go inside :-(
3) Landed at 3F3 (Mansfield, LA) after dark. Was received by Larry (fakecub) who got me and the family to a supper at Sonic and assisted with fueling. Showed us the onsite living quarters. All I can say is that this is a wonderful little airport stop. The main building has 2 rooms with bunkbeds and a shower in the rear quarters. Woke to a heavy fog. Spoke with Clayton H. on the phone about the situation along with conditions in Houston. Due to the weather situation unfortunately the trip to Houston was scrubbed. Thanks Clayton for the hospitality that we couldn't follow through on. Hope to catch you on another trip soon. Replaced the Houston trip with a local trip to the Civil War battlefield museum at Mansfield. Always great to catch the little nuggets at the small places that you wouldn't see otherwise.
4) 3F3 direct to San Antonio: Beautiful afternoon trip and landed at SSF. They were very receptive and did us well by setting us up at the Drury Plaza Hotel on the River Walk and getting a cab on the way when they heard us on the radio. Nice place to stay during the week with a morning brunch and evening meal. Worked out great as we go to see the River Walk and the Alamo. Got hooked into the touristy stuff a little as the weather kept us there an extra day. This caused the Carlsbad, NM stretch to get scrubbed.
5) SSF > FST > ELP: Initial plans were to bypass El Paso but the timing of leaving San Antonio gave it our final choice. A stop at Fort Stockton was intended to be quick but had an Apache Copter tying up the pump area for about an hour. El Paso (Friday) to my surprise had a weekend fuel rate (60 cents per gallon off). This made it very competitive with every other stop. Cutter Aviation did well by getting us to the motel. The next morning a heavy frost delayed our departure. Brushed as much off is could be done but it just took a long time to warm up.
6) ELP > CHD: Final leg was beautiful and we made the trip via Tucson. Approach was very accommodating with a fly-by of the military boneyard. They even suggested circling overhead to get better pics. The final leg into CHD was great and we were met at the airport by family. By this time we were a day late for the festivities but caught the main event.
7) Spent a few days in the Chandler, AZ area before heading out on Wednesday morning for home.
8) Fuel stop in Las Vegas, NM and McCook, NE. McCook has as pretty decent airport with the cheapest fuel on the route. Windy though. Blowing 30+ mph down the runway.
9) Had to stop in Mitchell, SD overnight due to weather. Was rescued by my brother who lives there. Had to wait out some MVFR stuff in the area the next day until about noon.

Thanks again to all the good ideas on places to stop. Will have to take another trip someday to catch those places we couldn't catch this time around.

Will post some pics when I get them all loaded.

Tim

Back