• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Inspection Authorization Crash Course?

akwing

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a reputable (from experience, word of mouth, etc.) school that teaches an IA crash course? Would prefer a school within an 1.5 hour drive from Denver or Phoenix. Thanks.

-akwing

I used the ASA test question workbook. Learned a few things, and passed the test. One I missed - compression fractures in a wood spar. Since then I have done maybe 20 wood spar inspections, and know what to look for. One I did not miss - a field approval is approved data for the original installer/applicant.

I used Bakers in Nashville, only missed one question.
I'm not smart, they just prepared me well.
Dave

I'll talk to my mechanic. I think he went to Dallas. they were real good. specially when youre old and cant remember nuthin.

Isn`t there a requirement for you to have an FBO and do a certain amount of inspections each year to be an IA?

Yeah - you need a location, which is not the same as the current definition of FBO, and you need to do four annuals OR eight 337s each year. Cannot do three annuals and two 337s, because somebody used the word "or" in the rule. There are other ways of staying current, and one involves an oral exam once a year.

Yeah - you need a location, which is not the same as the current definition of FBO, and you need to do four annuals OR eight 337s each year. Cannot do three annuals and two 337s, because somebody used the word "or" in the rule. There are other ways of staying current, and one involves an oral exam once a year.

Just sent you a PM

Bakers in Nashville for original test, then the last few years Gleim on line for the option of 8 hours of training per year for renewal. I only do my own aircraft so don't do 4 annuals, 8 repairs, or 8 alterations per year. I use my home address for my location, they just want to know where to find you and where to send things. I use Tdata for AD's as they included the applicable service bulletins if required for the AD.

Tim

No. It used to be that way. Now, either you do four annuals, or eight 337s, or prove to an inspector's satisfaction that you are "actively engaged" AND do the 8- hour course, or take an oral exam with a maintenance inspector. Good luck scheduling the latter - it is getting very difficult to actually see an inspector unless you do something bad.

I forgot to add - Opinion! Each FSDO gets to sort of decide what they want to do - there is a lot of discussion over what "actively engaged" will mean next week.

The left coast FAA seems to be a bit different that the right coast FAA. Seems to be a misunderstanding of the meaning of "or" as applied here.
So all I need is an 8 hour refresher each year to stay current
This works in my district.

I did not know the sign off authorization was only good for 30 days the first time I went to the FSDO. I was not ready to take the test and had to get signed off again.

I didn't think I would be able to do 4 annuals a year or 8 337's. But when I got the IA, I never realized how many friends with airplanes I had

I did not know Federal Exams still existed. I showed up there one bright fall morning, parked my Cub across the street, rented a car and a motel room for two weeks, asked the receptionist if she had received my test scores, and was out of there with an A&P by noon the same day. I have always had a soft spot for those folks. That was four decades ago.

Be careful what you sign off for friends. If something happens, there will be lawyers involved, and lawyers can drive you to the poorhouse even if you win.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated! I suppose now, I just need to choose an avenue and get it done.

Buy the $75 and $69.95. Learn how to use the FAA Testing Supplement, this is like the one you will use on your test. Sit down for an hour a morning for two weeks. Test until you get 85. Save your self some motel money, unless there is a girlfriend in your plan. Forget I suggested this, then.

Yes, hence the two locations I mentioned earlier...

I don't think you really want a "crash course" do you?????

Sorry, couldn't resist.

MTV

Haha...That's the same way I learned how to fly...it was a bit expensive at first! Oh wait, I'm still learning...nevermind, it's still expensive.

No. It used to be that way. Now, either you do four annuals, or eight 337s, or prove to an inspector's satisfaction that you are "actively engaged" AND do the 8- hour course, or take an oral exam with a maintenance inspector. Good luck scheduling the latter - it is getting very difficult to actually see an inspector unless you do something bad.

Every year in March, the Scottsdale FSDO puts on a symposium at the local A&P school so IA can stay current. I was in a battery class one time and the instructor asked various questions of the class as to their work experience etc. 80% of the class (all IAs) were basically retired and just couldn't get go of that IA so that they might be able to do an annual on a buddy's plane or something! I just couldn't believe it. They signed you up and gave you your certificate right there at the symposium in real time. Some of the stuff was actually informative. Some was pretty lame.

Every year in March, the Scottsdale FSDO puts on a symposium at the local A&P school so IA can stay current. I was in a battery class one time and the instructor asked various questions of the class as to their work experience etc. 80% of the class (all IAs) were basically retired and just couldn't get go of that IA so that they might be able to do an annual on a buddy's plane or something! I just couldn't believe it. They signed you up and gave you your certificate right there at the symposium in real time. Some of the stuff was actually informative. Some was pretty lame.

Sounds like cfi renewal. Keeping their cfi current even if they don't instruct.

Most of the guys in the class hadn't turned a wrench in 5 years!

That's the way it was here. The manager of the FSDO told us in person that he would keep it that way as long as he could. The next year they cancelled the freebie class, told us the new rules were in effect, and made us either present the four annuals, etc., OR show that we had attended a non-free class put on by industry AND prove we were "actively engaged."

Either he told us an untruth, or Washington leaned on him?

CLE FSDO has been pushing "actively engaged"
as full time/ 40 hrs a week. I moved my base of operations to DTW
as I work with them on a weekly basis on my "fun" projects
and they told me they consider me actively engaged.
Dave

There is a certain amount of work one must do to keep an A&P current. I think it is 6 months in 24 months. One must be an A&P to be an IA.

Back