• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The last one and the next one

Litecub

FRIEND
Wasilla,Ak
I have had one year plus on my rebuild Cub and it is time I figured out how to post something about it. N7291K started out as a 90 Cub Special, when my father-in-law bought it he put in a Continental O-200 while completing an extensive rebuild 25 years ago. We flew it for 18 years putting on some 2000 hours and then it was severely damaged in a wind storm while out sheep hunting. That began a 6 year rebuild which I did except the welding, engine assembly and final assembly. I bought a SuperCub with a 160 hp engine one year into the rebuild and found out what I had been missing with the flaps and larger engine so sold the 100 hp, got a narrow deck O-320, 160 hp engine, installed the flaps, bigger engine and balanced tail-feathers. The empty weight came in at 1154 pounds on 31" Bushwheels and now has the 35" tires and a cargo pod. My painting improved but still made Jason cringe when he stopped in to give some pointers. I put a little over 100 hours on it at annual and no major issues to to fix. I have started the next one, an experimental widebody Cub and plan on using the Javaron wing kit if I can get Jay to ship me one SOON please:), the Keller flap and O-360 180hp engine. I will try and post some pictures to this thread as I make progress.
LiteCub

showphoto.php
showphoto.php

Working on getting a picture to post...Stay posted.

Last edited:
Bill,

Is that front cub a shade of orange? That design is alot like what is going on my 180.

lance

I see it is red after looking at the other pics. The pic showning the top of the wing looks alot like the orange im using

IMG_0436_1.JPG
The tail post and lower longerons were snapped, the right front spar was bent upwards at the lift strut when it was flipped over and when it flipped back upright 90 degrees to the wind with only the left tie down holding the left wing lift struts collapsed into the wing. The plane almost beat me back home as Pioneer Helicopter had a cancellation the day the weather broke and several friend came out to help recover the cub and gave me a ride home with the cub being picked up the same day, about $5 a whop for the chopper.

The spring and tail wheel are still on the fuselage in the picture.

IMG_0428_1.JPG
IMG_0433_1.JPG
The tie down to the alders held on the left wing and the right side pulled out that was tied to aspen brush. There would have been nothing much to recover if the alders let go as the wind had to be tremendous with gust knocking me down two time while packing out a sheep. You could hear it coming and I was sure I was not going to have a plane left when I got back.
LiteCub and Eider
IMG_0405_1.JPG
I had been hunting this ram for 3 seasons and finally caught up to it 25 miles from where I found it.

91K_at_sunset.jpg
Bird_hunt_91K_and_Kobuk.jpg
N7291K rebuilt as a full blown SuperCub doing what I love the most. It took 6 winters to restore and make the change from Cub Special (90 Cub) to SuperCub. Learned quite a bit and got ideas on how to do it better for the next one.

Kobuk and his days work

LiteCub

Widebody_Fusalage.jpg
The next one is a widebody fuselage I have moved the baggage to the lower longerons, running the elevator cables under the floorboards and will have an upper baggage as well.
Widebody_Fusalage_clutter.jpg
After_the_cuts.jpg

Over 4 and 1/2 pounds cut out of the fuselage then some tabs and 3 seat Xbrace welded back in. I need to part with the Black Bird to make room for the next one...

Bill Rusk thanks for the help figuring out how to post pictures.

LiteCub

upper_baggage_frame_primed_and_the_yellow_shadow.jpg
cub_baggage_door_frame_build.jpg

Dog leg baggage door with steel lower frame welded in and alumin flush riveted frame with joggle for door to nest in once completed.
cub_baggage_frame_primed.jpg
LiteCub

Stabilizer_uncovered.jpg
Stabilizer_uncover-ding.jpg
Stabalizer_ding_out_tool.jpg

Stabilizer ding removed by welding an increasing size bead on some rebarr curved to fit the stabilizer tube and heating bent area while driving tool down the inside of the stabilizer.
brakes.jpg
Grove brakes will only have 3 bolts holding as one conflicts with a tube in the frame.

LiteCub

no need for helicopter ride on that last one.... 2 struts & a come a long for bent spar... a little safety wire for that tail post, tie a block or log under where tail spring was.... no tail wheel of course...

would have took longer to go get the parts than to get ready to ferry...

I don't notice Atlee tie downs on your rebuild pic, would think you would have added them being how much $$ the winds cost you.... check upper strut attach on wings for bending

Litecub;[IMG said:
http://www.supercub.org/photopost/data/500/medium/Stabalizer_ding_out_tool.jpg[/IMG]
Stabilizer ding removed by welding an increasing size bead on some rebarr curved to fit the stabilizer tube and heating bent area while driving tool down the inside of the stabilizer.

LiteCub

interesting dent removal method...

have heard of guys putting an air fitting in end of lift strut, put air to it then heat dented area to remove dent...

Tie_down_straps.jpg
IMG_0783.JPG
IMG_0795.JPG

Double secret, hidden, flush riveted door for light weight tie down strap and flush riveted the leading edge too.

LiteCub

Attachments

• IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 212
Powder_coating_parts_primer.jpg
powder_coating_part_s_in_oven.jpg
Powder_coating_parts_color_top_coat.jpg
Powder_coating_parts_finished.jpg

Powder coating small parts takes less time than mixing a two part epoxy primer and can put a finish coat on right after the primer is done. I bead blast the part to clean and roughen the surface first before coating.

LiteCub

LiteCub,

Do you think you still would have had the damage if you had the heavy duty lift struts (maybe you did)? I have them on my new experimental and I'm thinking about changing them out for the standard struts, as they are much lighter. What will you do on your new plane?

On a side note; the hell with the plane, how 'bout some "stats" on that ram!!!

68Papa

I had and replaced with the normal (lighter weight) lift struts and plan on light weight lift struts for the "next one". I would still have had wind damage but may not have had the left wing lift struts collapse. The right wing tie downs pulled and the plane must have flipped over and then back again from the damage that occurred. I keep the planes inside so no snow loads or wind events to worry about when home and significant weight increase (8 pounds) for the heavy lift struts. I have a titanium fire wall for both cubs and carbon fiber floor boards in the rebuild cub. Planning on mostly fabric interior for the next one, 18 gallon stock tanks which is the lightest I know of and light O-360 when ready for that.

The ram was 44"x 39 1/2" and thin bases and 11 years old if I remember right. 160 2/8

"
101_0195.JPG

My wife, Cynthia with a real whooper (her ram) and 91K before the wind damage.

LiteCub

LiteCub,

Thanks for the info! Sounds like you're building a nice cub! You've also taken some incredible rams! A new experimental Super Cub and sheep hunting - doesn't get any better than that!

attachment.php

Showing the 4 inch extended aileron being installed on the Javron wing. They are from a SQ2 and the cables are PA12 style with the bell cranks on the trailing edge side. Both wings are together now and waiting on the Keller flaps to rig the wings before cover.

Attachments

• 4_inch_extended_aileron_on_Javron_wing.jpg
    4_inch_extended_aileron_on_Javron_wing.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 2,233
Keller_flaps_installed.jpg
Fairing_formed.jpg

Keller_flaps_installed.jpg

Cub_landing_light_insallation.jpg

The wings are on with SQ2 ailerons and Keller flaps rigged. I put some Baja Design LED lights in the wing tips and will set up on/off/wigwag.

Looking good Bob! Is this one getting carbon floor boards too? I have been very impressed with my Baja lights on our jeep it's good to see more people using them in exp applications.

Logan;
Thanks. The carbon fiber floor boards blanks have been ordered and I am #5 on the list when Randy gets going on them. It has been a good winter to work on the project and have only flown once on skis with no snow on the lake ice in front off the house for 2 months now.

The lack of snow has made it pretty nice to get out and about on wheels tho!

Any plans for any of Randy's other Carbon parts?

Randy has a carbon fiber cargo pod that the whole back end is removable which would be good for loading lumber or other big items. He said a widebody one is in the works so will look at that when I get to that point I did weld on the tabs for a pod. A black one would look good on 51A, his pods are experimental though.

Randy has a carbon fiber cargo pod that the whole back end is removable which would be good for loading lumber or other big items. He said a widebody one is in the works so will look at that when I get to that point I did weld on the tabs for a pod. A black one would look good on 51A, his pods are experimental though.

That's what I was thinking also. I might still get his pod... 9 lbs less is a big amount.

YIO-390 and cowling to fit.jpg
I have the YIO-390 engine and Wayne's up-sized cowling. Next month Wayne will bring the engine mount and finish the fuselage and fit the cowl. The wings are done and waiting to be installed. I have been working on my certified Cub installing Keller flaps.

Attachments

• YIO-390 and cowling to fit.jpg
    YIO-390 and cowling to fit.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 245
Back