• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Larry Vetterman's Javron Cub

Always glad to hear someone has finished a airplane ,I have a O320E2D in my 1969 Skyhawk and love that engine,

The video still not working

Hey Congratulations! Looks like will be a great ship. Beautiful day for first flight to boot! Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Hope to catch up with you somewhere like JC!

Very Nice...looks I will need to come by and check it out when I am home visiting...Evens Plunge still open ?

Very Nice...looks I will need to come by and check it out when I am home visiting...Evens Plunge still open ?
Evans Plunge is still here. Not a bad place to go if you have kids.
Larry took a lot of pictures while he was building, and scrutinized virtually every part to try to make his Cub light. I'll see if I can get some pictures with details.

Glad you got it done on Friday, while the wx was so nice.
Rather than this week. wow, what a change !

Congrats. Can't wait to hear the details of this one and see some pictures- did it come in under 900 pounds with the O-320?

Here is a partial list of things up front to keep N746SC as light as possible.
MSD ignition wire and Denso 14mm spark plugs
Carbon fiber plenums instead of standard baffling
1.5 inch exhaust system into 1.75 inch mufflers
Aluminum intake tubes on engine
Vans filtered air box which gives filtered air with carb heat.
6.5 lb starter and small starter ring gear
B &C 8.5 amp alternator
Titanium firewall
Aluminum oil cooler
Matco wheels and brakes tubeless tires. These will be replaced with the Desser 22 inch pillow soft tires.
This just a partial list that is pictured here. I sent Jay at Javron a more complete list. The empty weight came out right at 10 lbs. + under 900 lbs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    637.6 KB · Views: 389
This is a really slick airplane. When he posts some of the construction photo's it'll give more insight into what can be done.

Congratulations, Larry!

Hey Clint, looks good - tell Larry Congrats and nice job! Wouldn't expect anything less tho... I'll be coming by your place prob next week before Christmas on the way to WY / CO.. then on to TX after that! I'll try to stop in and visit a bit if y'all be around?

Here are some photos that I had.....

photo-42.jpg

photo-62.jpg

photo-12.jpg

A little background on Jay DeRosier and his company, Javron. For those who might not be up to speed.....
(edited from a previous post)

Jay owns a machine shop. That is really his primary business but he is an airplane nut (like so many of us on this site) and several years ago he was at Oshkosh thinking it might be fun to pick up a little extra work. Well, he met Nick Smith, they hit it off, and a few weeks later Jay was welding up PA-12 kits for Nick Smith. When Turbine Cubs (now Backcountry Cubs) bought out Nick they contracted for Jay to continue welding up fuselages including the PA-18 model. Jay welded about 60 kits together and the feedback in this period was exceptionally positive. Backcountry decided to pull everything into one location and so they no longer needed Jays services.
After Backcountry discontinued subcontracting to Javron, Jay thought it would be fun to get back in the business so he built all new jigs (as opposed to using Nick Smiths) as close to the original Piper drawings as possible. Jay is a machinest by trade so he works in thousandths of an inch. His jigs are all super-accurate and to Piper specs. So any part you buy from Atlee, Stoddards, Univair etc. will fit with Javron stuff. Jay is trying really hard to get back as close as possible to the Piper specs. Nick beafed up a lot of stuff. Jay is going back to the original as much as possible.
So...... you can purchase a kit from Javron which is comparable in parts count to Backcountry but it will be closer to a Stock Supercub than say Backcountry. The Backcountry Cub and SQ2 kits are pretty highly modified Cubs with a specific mission goal. Javron will have some mods but it will be closer to stock.
Javron will also sell parts, partial kits, and pretty much anything you want. So if you want a tacked fuselage (Ala Spraker) he will sell it that way. You build what you want but if you decide you don't feel like welding the seat, for example, you can just buy one from Javron. Mix and match all you want and it should fit as long as you are building from the plans/Northland CD.
Jay is VERY flexible and will build whatever you want.

Here is a link to a post with pictures from the Javron shop

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...g-a-Javron-Cub&p=550863&viewfull=1#post550863

photo23.JPG

Picture of the Carbon Fiber Plenum on the Vetterman Cub

photo-41.JPG

Vetterman cowling

Larry has built an exceptionally light Cub and done a fine job. It will be nice to see it in person.

Bill

Last edited:
Hey Clint, looks good - tell Larry Congrats and nice job! Wouldn't expect anything less tho... I'll be coming by your place prob next week before Christmas on the way to WY / CO.. then on to TX after that! I'll try to stop in and visit a bit if y'all be around?
Hi Darren, we should be here.

tempdoug, This shroud is overkill and duplication. The top cowl will do the same thing on it's own.

True, but it looks very nice and clean without all those klutzy baffles and springs and stuff.

Larry/Clint,

Great looking and I'll bet great flying bird!!

I have to say I really like the looks of that plenum. While I understand that they arent really necessary, it cleans the "look" up so much that I'm starting to lean in that direction. Do away with 200 screws and rivets and 40 feet of rubber baffle material...

Back