• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bubble Flare on Fuel Lines

Jasperfield

NC
At the wing roots, where the 3/8" aluminum fuel lines attach to the rubber line section before entering the fuel tanks, do y'all make a bubble flare on the ends of the aluminum tubes to insert into the rubber tubes to help make a better seal?

An AI recently told me to do this, so I bought a cheap bubble flaring tool and made some flares with it. After a lot of practice, the tubing continues to be scored by the arbor plate (even when armored by tape) and the inside of the tube, immediately below the flare, may be cracked but I can't see it well enough to be sure.

The bubble flare tools I have seen are all metric, as is mine. The 10mm arbor for my 3/8" tube is a bit large but holds the tube tight.

What should I do to make better flares, or should I forget the bubble flares and do something else? I can return the tool if no success.

Thanks

I don't know about the cheap tools, but I borrowed a very sophisticated tool and it gave me perfect flares after I did maybe two trial flares. It was not my airplane, so I dared not just clamp the hose on a straight tube.

I just put a little grease on the tool and inside the tube and had no problem.

Spend the money and get a higher end bead roller. The few cheapos that I have used did tend to score the tubing as you describe. They didnt seem to leak or anything, I just didnt care for the wat they marked up the tube. I spent a little more money but what is peace of mind worth?

That's exactly what I'm looking for, an internal tubing bead roller. I didn't know what it was called. Thanks. I'll return the Auto-Zone bubble flair tool.

Reeve Airmotive(907)272-8522 has a Parker kit on the tool shelf with just ONE handle, not sure on cost....

but for a cub you only need 1/4" and 3/8" well maybe 5/8-3/4" if doing breather.... I have a set I borrow from someone else...

I kind of like the looks of that nut shaped one mentioned above, because sometimes it would be nice to bead them in place, something you can't do with the big Parker tools....

I tried the "nut shaped tool" - not a fan. Resold it on eBay. The Parker tool is the way to go.

Here is a story -- I heard that there were two of these Parker kits being sold at a junior college auction in Michigan. We were going that way at about the right time so we stopped to wait around and buy the tool. We had to wait ALL DAY as other stuff sold off. Then when it came time for the Parker tools, another guy from OUR AIRPORT in Minnesota popped up and bid against us. I finally got the best kit; he got the other. Weird how things work out. All that and I saved about $100 vs. buying the very nice identical new ones from ATS. Eventually I ordered a few replacement parts from ATS -- about $100 worth. Live and learn.

Last edited:
It certainly isn't perfect.. but it can be used in tight place and it makes enough of a bead to retain any clamp / hose combo from slipping off. That is what we're after.. after all. Nobody will see the "prettiness" after the hose is in place.. ;-)

"...though it is expensive, it will look good in the Estate auction by-and-by."

AMEN to that! The Estate's aircraft tool & etc. collection is looking pretty impressive even now.

IS a bead REALLY needed on that line? 25 years on mine and no problems without a bead. Did Piper bead them originally?

IS a bead REALLY needed on that line? 25 years on mine and no problems without a bead. Did Piper bead them originally?

Skipster, your plane is not legal, who is going to sign off a rebuild with workmanship like that :roll:

I have an old Parker beading tool that works great with a little Vasaline on it. Could loan it to you if needed.

There's no need to spend $400+ on a beading tool if your just going to use it for a couple of tubes. The little cheapo will work just fine.

Aircraft Tool Supply sells a mini kit. Looking at their catalog as I type this the TB145A-2 which does 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" is $179.95. I don't know if that includes the clamp to hold the tube. Or for the holidays the full kit is $40 off.

Tim

Jeg's EZ Beadier for 3/8 tube less then $30 ....he's only going to bead 3 or 4 tubes.

Last edited:
Maybe we should just grab a coffee somewhere DW... we'ze talking to ourselves anyhow.

Hey up for that. You got any snow yet I ready to put the skis on.

I don't really think you need to bead them at all. Never had a problem with leaking fuel lines on any of my many Volkswagens in my earlier life nor any cubs, all with just straight fuel lines. In fact, the only time I had a problem was in DW's old cub so maybe the El Cheapo he's recommending ain't so great after all......just saying.....:lol:

My opinion only

Bill

lol....the old cub never had beads but if I remember correctly that wasn't the leak.....and what's a little fuel leak over rugged Territory in Canada anyway Bill.......just saying.....lol....

added a description of making one from a tubing cutter over in this thread http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...her-neat-stuff&p=618144&viewfull=1#post618144

IMG_7165.JPG

Jeg's EZ Beadier for 3/8 tube less then $30 ....he's only going to bead 3 or 4 tubes.

Bought one tried it on a piece of scrap 3/8 aluminum, the little ball came out scored inside the tubing really bad it`s all in the trash can.

Bought one tried it on a piece of scrap 3/8 aluminum, the little ball came out scored inside the tubing really bad it`s all in the trash can.
I ordered and received the JEG's EZ Beader as well. Four hours later it was back in the mail headed to JEG's. The adjusting rod broke and the bearings failed. Jeg's refunded the total price and sent a prepaid FedEx label. I can't complain about their customer service... it's good.

And, Mike MCS, you're many levels above where I am both in creativity and talent. When I saw the beader you made I just couldn't believe it. By now I shouldn't be surprised.

I ordered and received the JEG's EZ Beader as well. Four hours later it was back in the mail headed to JEG's. The adjusting rod broke and the bearings failed. Jeg's refunded the total price and sent a prepaid FedEx label. I can't complain about their customer service... it's good.

And, Mike MCS, you're many levels above where I am both in creativity and talent. When I saw the beader you made I just couldn't believe it. By now I shouldn't be surprised.

I`ll dig it out and send it back that's what happened to mine rod broke ball came out

Back