• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA18A info

portfield

Twisp Wa.
I need all the information I ca get on the "A" model super cub I have searched here and can't find much. Is there any publication that has info. Things like tubing size in frame? What did the A model have that the standard model did not ? Thanks

The A had a flat top instead of a turtle deck leading aft from the cabin area. With a hatch in the top of it for loading the hopper. No rear seat (thats where the hopper sat) and no dual controls. Not much different than a regular -18 otherwise.

They are not larger diameter as far as I know. Same airframe, just some extra braces in the rear seat area.

Is the tail section 1in higher then the pa-18, making the tail fly higher.

No... All attach points, gear basic tubes sizes are the same.... Biggest difference between a standard cub and an A model is the upper tubing and flap cable routing behind the pilot seat allowing for the hopper to be installed... Plus, baggage floor at lower longerons, battery access door in the side of the fuselage ( many converted A models use this door as a baggage door ) single control stick in front and a few other minor alterations. Our cub is a 52 PA-18A-135 converted to 2 place aircraft with 0-320 STC and STC for 1750 gross weight among many other modifications.

Brian

It turns out our new (to us) Super Cub http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?47519-Chris-amp-D-A-s-Denny-s-Super-Cub has a modified A Model fuselage. Just like the A Model, it doesn't have the 2 triangular braces above the baggage, it has the built up area around where the hopper would have been. But the top opening where you'd load the hopper has now been X braced. They also added the center fabric stringer down the top of the fuselage making it look like a standard fuselage rather than a flat back. The bummer is, as already stated, it's forward control only and we want controls in front and back. The rear floor board isn't drilled for any pedals, but I can see the at least the tabs are there for the rudder pedals. I still have to get the floor boards up to see what is under there. Hopefully the structure is there to install the brakes and rudder pedals like a standard Cub.

I'm pretty sure ( but not positive ) that all the A models came with two sets of rudder pedals and throttle. About the only thing missing was a rear stick. The conversion directions only tell of replacing the single stick assy with a dual control Assy. I owned an original A model that still had the tank in the rear seat area from the factory and had never been changed. So unless someone got fancy and cut all the attachments out of the fuselage to save a few ounces during rebuild, they all should be there.

Then there is all the minutiae differences, like the different P/N cabane Vee with the tabs on it for the spray gear, the brackets welded to the door to hold the "Restricted" placard, a myriad of extra tabs and bushes welded inside and outside the frame to attach all the ag gear, the removable (not foldable) rear seat cross tube, extra tube behind the panel with a bracket on it to mount the sowing or spraying lever, the wire cutters, metal belly and probably a few things I've forgotten about……… without getting into all the field mods that took place because the Piper ag set up was, to a large extent, unsuitable.

Andrew.

Was there ever a specific brace plan for the area above the tank after the removal of tank and hopper door ?

Was there ever a specific brace plan for the area above the tank after the removal of tank and hopper door ?

The idea was that the aluminium stress panel bolted in place in the hopper opening and was removed to allow removal of the hopper and then replaced and it was then just flown around with the stress panel in place without the hopper.

A permanent conversion from ag use would involve welding in a tube or tubes. In New Zealand we have an approved mod for welding in a single diagonal tube. As Brian says running a stringer down the middle on top is also common place.

Andrew.

Back