Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Chris & D.A.'s/Denny's Super Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    I am curious as well. Unfortunatley I think they parted it out.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    My buddy, David McRae bought the project and it was in my hangar.
    After David's passing, another friend bought it and is gathering parts to get it flying again.
    Thanks stewartb thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey Gray View Post
    My buddy, David McRae bought the project and it was in my hangar.
    After David's passing, another friend bought it and is gathering parts to get it flying again.
    Is Dave D.A.?
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    No. D.A. was fine last time I talked to him.
    David McRae bought the project when D.A. decided to change directions a little.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the one Karl (allegedly the good Karl) has now?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, it belongs to G.K. (Good Karl), now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Idaho View Post
    Does anybody know where I can find more Gulkana or other footage of this airplane? I found the link to the short video below on another thread here.

I was there at Gulkana in 1990 ? when Denny hit that 150 horse Nitrous Oxide shot. It was intense ! He and Jerry Burr were also running a special mix of 100LL and Nitro Methane, and as I remember; 3% acetone to cool the valves. Old school, 1970s top fuel dragster Sneaky Pete technology. Those guys lived the leading edge of aerodynamics and engine tech. They invented most of the stuff we buy, and take for granted. Their Experimental was really experimental.

Hearing Jerry Burr talk about driving around for years with VGs and yarn tufts stuck to the hood of his truck, so he could analyze how to keep airflow attached around different shapes that where also stuck to the truck hood with double sided tape. The shapes and VGs where moved daily, so a true understanding of the airflow could be completly understood. Driving across a Seattle bridge in a high crosswind was a special treat that showed more data; instantly. Denny and Jerry were truely Experimental Pioneers with hundreds of hours of film movies shot of the airflow that their many mods created.

I spent 5 months in the basement of the NASA library doing research and came back to Alaska with 1500 hand Xeroxed and bound Tech Documents, only to find out Jerry not only possessed a large number of them, but also had a PRACTICAL understanding and was already applying the technology. Just meeting them was an amazing treat.

Jonny
    Last edited by Jonnyo; 05-23-2020 at 01:02 AM.
    Thanks AkPA/18, DENNY, CamTom12 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent example of prop blast energizing the inboard wing then transitional lift help from the outboard portions. C-185 prop crack. Leaf blower tech..what's preferred prop volume or velocity?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyo View Post
    I was there at Gulkana in 1990 ? when Denny hit that 150 horse Nitrous Oxide shot. It was intense ! He and Jerry Burr were also running a special mix of 100LL and Nitro Methane, and as I remember; 3% acetone to cool the valves. Old school, 1970s top fuel dragster Sneaky Pete technology. Those guys lived the leading edge of aerodynamics and engine tech. They invented most of the stuff we buy, and take for granted. Their Experimental was really experimental.

Hearing Jerry Burr talk about driving around for years with VGs and yarn tufts stuck to the hood of his truck, so he could analyze how to keep airflow attached around different shapes that where also stuck to the truck hood with double sided tape. The shapes and VGs where moved daily, so a true understanding of the airflow could be completly understood. Driving across a Seattle bridge in a high crosswind was a special treat that showed more data; instantly. Denny and Jerry were truely Experimental Pioneers with hundreds of hours of film movies shot of the airflow that their many mods created.

I spent 5 months in the basement of the NASA library doing research and came back to Alaska with 1500 hand Xeroxed and bound Tech Documents, only to find out Jerry not only possessed a large number of them, but also had a PRACTICAL understanding and was already applying the technology. Just meeting them was an amazing treat.

Jonny
    Having spent lots of time under the wing of a Cub with Jerry I totally agree.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes AkPA/18 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Having spent lots of time under the wing of a Cub with Jerry I totally agree.
    Sounds like a good opportunity for SJ and another hump day presentation.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...