• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Chris & D.A.'s/Denny's Super Cub

Sorry, but I think I'm going to have to cry "Bulls**t on that one. This airplane is going to have a LOT of instruction given in it, and anyone that doesn't like our Cub because the rear controls make them uncomfortable, they can ride with someone else.

What I meant to say is that you cannot instruct for hire in an experimental airplane. You can GIVE (as in no fee) instruction in an experimental airplane, and in certain situations (like there is no similar model of airplane) you may be able to legally instruct for hire.

As to passengers, I've had them stomp on a rudder while trying to take photos, etc, and if they're not a pilot, they have more room without controls, but that's a personal choice.

MTV

Show us some pics please!!
The nose is canted up even beyond the zero thrust line mod. I'm not sure who came up with this square tail version, but I'm glad to have them. The flaps have/had simple extensions on them, they're removed currently.

Attachments

• ak 079.jpg
    ak 079.jpg
    965.7 KB · Views: 445
  • ak 074.jpg
    ak 074.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 348
  • ak 070.jpg
    ak 070.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 445
Show us some pics please!!
The nose REALLY points upward, more than other thrust line mods I've seen. I'll get better pictures of the elec/hyd flap dump system after I get the front seat out. The handle is shortened and the hydraulic cylinder attaches to the bottom. I believe the plastic tube leading away above the cylinder is actually the reservoir. Nothing is locked right now, I can raise and lower the flap handle and watch fluid going up and down in the plastic tube, so I'm not sure what holds the handle in place. Maybe the solenoid activates with power, who knows.....

Attachments

• ak 080.jpg
    ak 080.jpg
    902.2 KB · Views: 315
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 335
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 330
Thanks for the pics.

Talking about elevator authority! That is some tail surfaces.

I loved the slats. Only down side is when I need to fuel with jerry cans...

I would keep the slats and flap dump...
I think you should try to keep the plane like it is, minus the instrument panel maybe.
It looks like a Cub build for a mission, and the guys seem to know what they were doiing.

D.A.,
The long hose which is tied to the landing gear "V" indicates that there may be excessive blow by from the engine. It gives the impression of a band-aid fix to a more serious problem.

…I loved the slats...
If you don’t mind my friend, would you tell me WHY you love the slats please? The guys I see that have them can come in with these amazingly high nose attitude approaches, which really allows them to get it in short which is great for a competition, which I’d like to get into, but is that useable in the back country? In other words, if 99.9% of this airplane’s mission statement is hunting and camping, will the slats help me, are they worth running? Not arging either side, just looking for your input.
…I would keep the…flap dump...
Again, not arguing either side, why would you keep the Flap Dump? Chris and I had a LONG talk about it last night and I came away not knowing the advantage. If you were purely competing, I could see how having a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] arm would be helpful; 1 on the stick, 1 on the throttle and 1 on the flap handle, which a single button on the stick in place of a flap handle gives you the equivalent of that 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] arm, but that’s an advantage just for competition, am I wrong on that?
…It looks like a Cub build for a mission, and the guys seem to know what they were doiing.
You’re exactly right. Denny was a competitor, but he also had a well drilling business and he’d haul incredible things all over in this airplane in support of that business. The ship is never going to be a show winner, but what a fantastic hunting/camping rig. That makes it perfect for us.
Thanks for your input.
D.A.,
The long hose which is tied to the landing gear "V" indicates that there may be...a more serious problem.
I think you’re spot on skywagon. That hose and the reason it was finally parked are related I believe and I think Denny knew it. The engine is already off and I’m trying to figure out who to take it to.
Can anyone recommend an engine shop in the Northwest that is sympathetic to hot rodded non-certificated engines that would be willing to consider FIXING the engine or an IRAN rather than defaulting to throwing a $30K overhaul invoice at me?
Great input, thanks to all.

This airplane looks more interesting with every post,soon as the weather calms down enough to fly I would like to come take a look.

Slats.......The high angle of attack used for really slow approaches is not really useful in the real world...BUT...you can do slow steep turns without the worry of the dreaded moose stall.....they do add some weight and you lose a couple mph on cruise but the low and slow safety factor is high.
Flap Dump....I have the system on my cub and yes it is a great mod for comp. but I like it for real world use also....again it adds a little weight.

Last edited:
Like DW said, I like the slats because of the performances and safety factor people says it gives. I'm not able yet to acheive those extrem angle of attack, but I plan too. I try to use all my mods when I can. Just for fun. And I love to have plenty of runway left in front of me.

I would really like to have a flap dump on the Red Devil. But I didn't figured out how to make it simple and light.

The flap dump system comes in at about 4.5lbs. Oli be careful on that high angle and dropping it in if your fuselage is not beefed in the gear area you'll bend it.

Regarding flight instruction in a EAB, there are no restrictions other than charging for the aircraft itself. A CFI can instruct (and charge) in an EAB for their time only. Primary training can even be done in an EAB. When it comes to the practical test a Designated Flight Examiner can wave the requirement for a standard category aircraft and test in an EAB. Check out this link from the EAA; pretty clear there are a lot more options than most pilots realize.

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation...ion-in-an-experimental-amateur-built-aircraft

Marty57

The local FISDO here said they will not allow the use of a experimental aircraft for any of their check rides 709s or anything else it may be true that they can waive this but try to find one that will...yes your local CFI can certainly instructed in a experimental.

Yes, I mis stated the point earlier. So, if you are a CFI, you can offer flight instruction in an experimental airplane, and be compensated for YOUR time. You cannot charge for the aircraft, not even for fuel. Or, you can RECEIVE flight instruction in an Exp airplane, and the CFI can charge. You cannot rent the airplane to someone for flight instruction or for anything else. As noted by DW, many FSDOs have policy prohibiting their inspectors from flying in Exp aircraft, but you may be able to find a DPE who will.

But, back to the original point: As I noted earlier, installing dual controls is a personal choice....if as noted, two pilots will fly together, that's a great reason to go there. But so you can flight instruct, maybe not so much.

And, depending on the installation, installing dual controls can be a big deal.

i say go for it. :lol:

MTV

.......... The engine is already off and I’m trying to figure out who to take it to.
Can anyone recommend an engine shop in the Northwest that is sympathetic to hot rodded non-certificated engines that would be willing to consider FIXING the engine or an IRAN rather than defaulting to throwing a $30K overhaul invoice at me?.........

Aerosport Power up in Kamloops BC might be worth looking into. The home of the famous "Bart engines", until Bart left a year or two ago. Dunno if they're into fixing as opposed to overhauling, but it's worth a call.

I keep finding out things about this airplane and the mods Denny did. I know a common mod is to make the front seat fold forward, Denny just cut it off and added solid aluminum plugs and slid the seat back over them.

Attachments

• 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 188
There's an awful lot of monkey motion going on under the front seat because of the aileron drooping system. Chris and I agree that we'll remove that system.

Attachments

• 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    713.6 KB · Views: 240
I was talking to Jerry about the flap dump system and he mentioned he thought Cub Crafters had come up with it. I emailed this picture to Jim Richmond and sure enough, it was their set up. Jim said they did a few experimental Cubs with flap dump systems about 20 years ago and they were all a little different.

Attachments

• 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    972.8 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
We definitely want a nitrous system, if not now, soon, but we're going to come up with our own installation.

Attachments

• 41.jpg
    41.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 238
You can see the mod to the flap handle for the dump system as well as some of the extra linkage under the seat for the aileron droop system. However, check out the flap handle itself, it telescopes. I thought that was pretty cool!

Attachments

• 44.jpg
    44.jpg
    658.7 KB · Views: 231
  • 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 203
Thanks for the pics, again. It's always nice to have some good idea in picture.

I really don't hate the removable seat back... Pretty simple.

I cannot say the same thing about the drooping ailerons.. A lot of mechanism working down there. I'll pass this mod.

I don't understand yet the flap dumping assembly. It release the flaps electricly on the flap trigger handle, and make it smoother by passing trough an hydrolic ajustable valve?? Maybe DW could help me on that...

I'm not ready yet for a nitrous setup, but it sure looks interesting.

Continue to post pics of this very nice airplane.
I would love to try your bird. Looks like a real performer to me.

BTW:You should put those seatbelt anchor to the floors before others tell you to do it :)

Hi Olibuilt,
Our theory is that the cylinder takes the place of the detents for the flap handle. There's a solenoid valve that should be activated by a button on the stick. It looks like you can open the valve to put the handle wherever you want and when you close the valve the flaps are locked into their current position by the captive hydraulic fluid in the cylinder. When you want to dump the flaps you open the valve (hit the button on the stick), the cylinder can move freely and the flaps are released to retract under spring tension and aerodynamic pressure.
However we haven't had a chance to really play with the system yet so I could be completely wrong.

...drooping ailerons..I'll pass this mod…
Us too
…I don't understand yet the flap dumping assembly…
You ain’t the only one buddy :crazyeyes:

...BTW:You should put those seatbelt anchor to the floors before others tell you to do it
That’s definitely on the list for sure. I can’t believe the only thing holding you in place are 4 tiny bolts in shear in thin wall tubing. That’s just wrong.

My take on the flap dump is to dump the lift as soon as your main wheels hit, puts weight on the wheels and it's done flying now. It's a lot easier to hit a button on the stick than to take your hand off the throttle that your messing with to keep it flying slow and retract the flaps. If I had it on my cub I would leave it. I can see how it would be handy.

So when are you guys going to have a open Hangar so we can see this airplane in person?Is it here in Washington or in Idaho?

So when are you guys going to have a open Hangar....
The ship is kind of under wraps right now until there is actually something to look at. However, I do have An update: I ordered 35” BW's for the Cub today. But of course, they don’t fit the standard wheel as we all know,so I had to order the 2 special wheels. But of course the brakes that are currently on the ship (Denny liked running Bodel brakes for competition) aren’t compatible with the brake rotors on the special wheels, so I had to order a complete set of 6” Cleveland wheels and brakes and torque plates. OUCH!!!!!

I probably wasn't clear enough on post #56, the 35" BW's use a 10" wheel and I ordered a pair with the tires. That 10" wheel uses the same brake as a 6" Cleveland, but I didn't have Clevelands, I had/have Bodels, so I had to buy an entire 6" set up in order to have brakes for the 10" wheels and also be able to run 6" tires. I still have a virtually new pair of 31" BW's and we'll probably run 26" GY's for running around local. I hope that clears it up. I'll talk about the Groves soon.

Back