Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris & D.A.'s/Denny's Super Cub

Post Thanks / Like

Chris & D.A.'s/Denny's Super Cub

I was honored and humbled to be able to buy Denny Martel's Super Cub today. Denny and Jerry Burr were/are two of my early heroes in the STOL business. This is the airplane that Denny made the 18' take off in back when the competition was still at Gulkana. The mods list is lengthy, 150 horse nitrous shot, 13" extended gear, drooping ailerons, hyd/elec flap dump, full length slats, 91" Pawnee prop, extended flaps and ailerons, and the list goes on and on, and to think he was doing this 20 years ago. I'm hoping to have it flying by summer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ak 065.jpg 
Views:	598 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	17832  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D.A. View Post
    I'm hoping to have it flying by summer.
    This is going to be a blast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! I would love to see an album of photos of this bird. Looks like quite a list of moods. Looking forward to reading about the rebuild.
    Turning money into noise since 1996

Our Build here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcraft128 View Post
    ...I would love to see an album of photos of this bird...
    Definitely! I enjoyed watching your bird coming together. Wilco.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a beast!

What are those black things at the ailerons and flaps??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olibuilt View Post
    What are those black things at the ailerons and flaps??
    Dang - Good eye buddy! Denny made extensions that he could install or remove at will to increase the cord, plus on the very end of the ailerons are spades which I believe may have been his own design, but I'm not positive about that. Good eye!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info.

It would be nice if you could take pics of a few mods.
    I'm really interested building a flap dump kit for my Red Devil.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...It would be nice if you could take pics of a few mods...
    Will do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!
    Last edited by tcraft128; 11-20-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: ;)
    Turning money into noise since 1996

Our Build here

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you have your airplane now,was Jerry's brother from the Skagit area too?Would be nice to see that in person,I have a 12 to put back together soon as I get a Hangar built at Concrete(3W5),no room in my hangar at Paine Field,KPAE.
    Where on the left Coast are you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcraft128 View Post
    How is that cub registered?...
    Experimental

Post Thanks / Like
    ..... I'm hoping to have it flying by summer.
    What needs to be done to it? Was it pranged, sat idle too long, or ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    What needs to be done to it?...
    The engine started making metal so it was parked and sat for awhile. It came with a spare O/H'd lower end and we have an IO-360 from our other SC project (Same lower end) so we need to sort out the engine issue and just generally knock down the cob webs, lube up, free up, clean up everything and get it going again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by photosfromabove View Post
    ...soon as I get a Hangar built at Concrete(3W5),no room in my hangar at Paine Field,KPAE...
    Where is your hangar going to be at Concrete? I live on Whidbey Island but I work for a big company on Paine...

Post Thanks / Like
    1st one I'm building on lot 48 farthest east lot in row closest to runway,I have multiple lots,if there is a market after I get my 1st one built I will build 1 to sell,we can put living quarters in hangar if we install sprinklers,
    Do you have a hangar at Langley or Oak Harbor?
    Or Paine?
    Last edited by photosfromabove; 11-20-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: More questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anybody know where I can find more Gulkana or other footage of this airplane? I found the link to the short video below on another thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Idaho View Post
    ...I found the link to the short video...
    What I think is interesting about that video clip is the fact that it took off so short but it doesn't look like it had the LE Slats or long gear or extended cord flaps/ailerons. Wish we could replay it with all the mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like it even still has the stock negative thrustline in that video!

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the best source for Super Cub items? I need things like tail brace wires with all the associated hardware, plus it's currently set up for forward controls only so I need new floor boards, rear rudder pedals, front brake pedals and all the interconnect jazz, I'd like to run non-droop wing tips, isn't there someone making carbon fiber tips? We're going to run a Dynon D180 probably unless anyone can tell us why we shouldn't (Input always welcome) so we need a new instrument panel. Does anyone sell a SC panel already set up for a Dynon install, if not, what is a good source for a blank? I think we're also going to remove the flap dump system and re-install a standard flap handle with the ratcheting piece and so on. On the flap handle, in addition to advice on a good source, does anyone sell a handle that has been shortened to eliminate the limited stick travel with full flap issue?
    Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the best source for Super Cub items? .....On the flap handle, in addition to advice on a good source, does anyone sell a handle that has been shortened to eliminate the limited stick travel with full flap issue?
    Local hardware store. Buy a hacksaw.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    You could get everything you need from Jay at Javron
    Larry Experimental Supercub PA18 wide body
    http://www.mykitlog.com/Supercub
    I'm positive there is no life on other planets - if there where, America would be sending them financial aid

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G View Post
    You could get everything you need from Jay at Javron

Some drift. But why your on the subject of Jay and flap handles, he would be the perfect person to develop an overhead flap handle mod. Maybe bolt on.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's amateur built experimental. Why not build some of those parts you need.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the best source for Super Cub items? I need things like tail brace wires with all the associated hardware, plus it's currently set up for forward controls only so I need new floor boards, rear rudder pedals, front brake pedals and all the interconnect jazz, I'd like to run non-droop wing tips, isn't there someone making carbon fiber tips? We're going to run a Dynon D180 probably unless anyone can tell us why we shouldn't (Input always welcome) so we need a new instrument panel. Does anyone sell a SC panel already set up for a Dynon install, if not, what is a good source for a blank? I think we're also going to remove the flap dump system and re-install a standard flap handle with the ratcheting piece and so on. On the flap handle, in addition to advice on a good source, does anyone sell a handle that has been shortened to eliminate the limited stick travel with full flap issue?

When I lived in Anchorage, I spent a lot of time hanging around Merrill field. I'm convinced that you could walk up to the field with a data plate (and a checkbook) and find every part necessary to build a supercub. Stoddards used to have a whole section of the store with consignment used parts. Between them and Reeves, you can find pretty much all the airframe parts. There was (haven't been there in a couple years) an engine rebuilder, avionics shop, and full service restoration shop on the field as well. If it wasn't on the field, a short drive to Big Lake or the valley would generally get you what you need. I'd call Stoddards and see what they have - pretty knowledgeable folks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why install dual controls? You can't give dual flight instruction in an Experimental plane anyway, and about the only instruction you're apt to need is a flight review...and that's easy to find a plane for....... If you're carrying passengers, most of them will appreciate NOT having controls in their way.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Show us some pics please!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Why install dual controls?
    MTV
    For a pure working airplane single controls would be great. However this is a fun airplane for my Dad and I, and it's more fun when we can both fly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by don d View Post
    If it's amateur built experimental. Why not build some of those parts you need.
    That would be an option, but I'm trying to shorten the time until we're flying again. Each part I buy gets me closer quicker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    ... You can't give dual flight instruction in an Experimental plane anyway.... If you're carrying passengers, most of them will appreciate NOT having controls in their way.

MTV
    Sorry, but I think I'm going to have to cry "Bulls**t on that one. This airplane is going to have a LOT of instruction given in it, and anyone that doesn't like our Cub because the rear controls make them uncomfortable, they can ride with someone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey my friend, I'm going to try to get some time to take the front seat out in the next couple of days and I'll take some detailed pictures of the flap dump system at that time. I'll try to post some other pictures later tonight.

Did if you ever put those slats on? If so, what do you think of them? I'm trying to figure out if we want to keep them or not. Thanks buddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but I think I'm going to have to cry "Bulls**t on that one. This airplane is going to have a LOT of instruction given in it, and anyone that doesn't like our Cub because the rear controls make them uncomfortable, they can ride with someone else.
    What I meant to say is that you cannot instruct for hire in an experimental airplane. You can GIVE (as in no fee) instruction in an experimental airplane, and in certain situations (like there is no similar model of airplane) you may be able to legally instruct for hire.

As to passengers, I've had them stomp on a rudder while trying to take photos, etc, and if they're not a pilot, they have more room without controls, but that's a personal choice.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    The nose is canted up even beyond the zero thrust line mod. I'm not sure who came up with this square tail version, but I'm glad to have them. The flaps have/had simple extensions on them, they're removed currently.

Name:	ak 070.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	868.7 KB 
ID:	17875   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ak 074.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	832.1 KB 
ID:	17874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ak 079.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	965.7 KB 
ID:	17873  

Post Thanks / Like
    The nose REALLY points upward, more than other thrust line mods I've seen. I'll get better pictures of the elec/hyd flap dump system after I get the front seat out. The handle is shortened and the hydraulic cylinder attaches to the bottom. I believe the plastic tube leading away above the cylinder is actually the reservoir. Nothing is locked right now, I can raise and lower the flap handle and watch fluid going up and down in the plastic tube, so I'm not sure what holds the handle in place. Maybe the solenoid activates with power, who knows.....

Name:	ak 080.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	902.2 KB 
ID:	17876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	17877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	17878  

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pics.

Talking about elevator authority! That is some tail surfaces.

I loved the slats. Only down side is when I need to fuel with jerry cans...

I would keep the slats and flap dump...
    I think you should try to keep the plane like it is, minus the instrument panel maybe.
    It looks like a Cub build for a mission, and the guys seem to know what they were doiing.

Post Thanks / Like
    D.A.,
    The long hose which is tied to the landing gear "V" indicates that there may be excessive blow by from the engine. It gives the impression of a band-aid fix to a more serious problem.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    …I loved the slats...
    If you don’t mind my friend, would you tell me WHY you love the slats please? The guys I see that have them can come in with these amazingly high nose attitude approaches, which really allows them to get it in short which is great for a competition, which I’d like to get into, but is that useable in the back country? In other words, if 99.9% of this airplane’s mission statement is hunting and camping, will the slats help me, are they worth running? Not arging either side, just looking for your input.
    …I would keep the…flap dump...
    Again, not arguing either side, why would you keep the Flap Dump? Chris and I had a LONG talk about it last night and I came away not knowing the advantage. If you were purely competing, I could see how having a 3rd arm would be helpful; 1 on the stick, 1 on the throttle and 1 on the flap handle, which a single button on the stick in place of a flap handle gives you the equivalent of that 3rd arm, but that’s an advantage just for competition, am I wrong on that?
    …It looks like a Cub build for a mission, and the guys seem to know what they were doiing.
    You’re exactly right. Denny was a competitor, but he also had a well drilling business and he’d haul incredible things all over in this airplane in support of that business. The ship is never going to be a show winner, but what a fantastic hunting/camping rig. That makes it perfect for us.
    Thanks for your input.
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    D.A.,
    The long hose which is tied to the landing gear "V" indicates that there may be...a more serious problem.
    I think you’re spot on skywagon. That hose and the reason it was finally parked are related I believe and I think Denny knew it. The engine is already off and I’m trying to figure out who to take it to.
    Can anyone recommend an engine shop in the Northwest that is sympathetic to hot rodded non-certificated engines that would be willing to consider FIXING the engine or an IRAN rather than defaulting to throwing a $30K overhaul invoice at me?
    Great input, thanks to all.

Post Thanks / Like
    This airplane looks more interesting with every post,soon as the weather calms down enough to fly I would like to come take a look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Slats.......The high angle of attack used for really slow approaches is not really useful in the real world...BUT...you can do slow steep turns without the worry of the dreaded moose stall.....they do add some weight and you lose a couple mph on cruise but the low and slow safety factor is high.
    Flap Dump....I have the system on my cub and yes it is a great mod for comp. but I like it for real world use also....again it adds a little weight.
    Last edited by DW; 11-23-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like DW said, I like the slats because of the performances and safety factor people says it gives. I'm not able yet to acheive those extrem angle of attack, but I plan too. I try to use all my mods when I can. Just for fun. And I love to have plenty of runway left in front of me.

I would really like to have a flap dump on the Red Devil. But I didn't figured out how to make it simple and light.

Post Thanks / Like
    The flap dump system comes in at about 4.5lbs. Oli be careful on that high angle and dropping it in if your fuselage is not beefed in the gear area you'll bend it.
    Likes Airhutch liked this post