• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Changing a PA 18A flat back to a standard style fuselage

Akchak

Southern Utah
I have a slightly bent PA 18A fuesalage that I will be taking in for repair. I am looking into the pros and cons for resale value if it is best to keep it a flat back or change it to the A frame style of the standard Super Cub? Do I need an STC or Field Approval to make these changes? Thanks, David

Last edited:
You can put the stringers in without changing the structure if you like the look of the standard turtle deck.

I'd probably keep it as is, if it were mine. Everybody has a standard 18, not so many A's out there. If memory serves, the A has slightly greater control surface deflections and I'm told they cruise just a shade faster, like 2-3 mph. Maybe thats just lore, I don't know for sure. Also in the not sure category is the flap latch plate. I'm thinking the A has 3 notches as opposed to the original 2. Oh well, thats easy to remedy with a hacksaw and file so not a big deal either way. About all I would do is try to get rid of that crowbar of a handle, or maybe eliminate the top hatch altogether. I like the flat backs.

If you do a search on 18A cubs you will find several posts on converting from a sprayer to a two seat plane. If yours has the correct paperwork and has been done correctly I would keep it as is. The reason I say this is I see a lot of post with people trying to figure out paperwork and having issues getting it approved by whatever IA they have. Up here an A will sell as fast or faster than a regular 18. It is the paperwork that can really cause some issues especially in the lower 48.
DENNY

I wanted to go from standard to the A flat back when I was going to do my cub. Speed, I think it was a few pounds lighter, and I liked the look, and made it easier for skylights.

Put spotter glass in her and keep it flat!

Not my plane, so take this opinion for what you paid for it.

I had a wrecked PA18A. Jim Soares had it in his jig and converted it to a standard 18 via field approval. Wings folded back on it so all the top deck needed to be replaced anyhow. I wouldn't get a field approval now. I would just reference Piper Dwg 12183, 43.13 for the welding and sign the 337.

Back