Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd Class Medical Reform in January 2015? ...crumbling of the proverbial Berlin Wall, FAA style

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano Bardwell View Post
    So how long till they vote on it ???????
    Ditto. Anyone understand what the rest of the process looks like. Time expected in subcommittees? Number of subcommittees? Likely dates of votes in house and senate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrussl View Post
    Ditto. Anyone understand what the rest of the process looks like. Time expected in subcommittees? Number of subcommittees? Likely dates of votes in house and senate?
    If Senator Inhofe is at the airport this weekend, I'll ask what he expects...
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    I expect this to be the club used to get the DOT/FAA off their dead butts to move forward with their still "secret" reforms to the class III medicals. I'd be shocked if the bill actually sees the light of day, but I'd love to see it happen.

-Cub Builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Builder View Post
    I expect this to be the club used to get the DOT/FAA off their dead butts to move forward with their still "secret" reforms to the class III medicals. I'd be shocked if the bill actually sees the light of day, but I'd love to see it happen.

-Cub Builder
    If you want it done, contact your delegation this one's got steam and it's our absolute best chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    If you want it done, contact your delegation this one's got steam and it's our absolute best chance.
    Done, although based on last years less than luke warm replies from the NM Congress Weasels on the same subject, I won't hold my breath.

For anyone else wanting to contact your representatives, the EAA has a form letter you can go in and taylor to suit yourself that will target your representatives by just entering your zip code. http://govt.eaa.org/17422/support-pilots-bill-rights-2/

-Cub Builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Builder View Post
    Done, although based on last years less than luke warm replies from the NM Congress Weasels on the same subject, I won't hold my breath.

For anyone else wanting to contact your representatives, the EAA has a form letter you can go in and taylor to suit yourself that will target your representatives by just entering your zip code. http://govt.eaa.org/17422/support-pilots-bill-rights-2/

-Cub Builder
    I believe the difference this time stems from several positive fronts. Look at the approach with multiple bills, filings in both House and Senate, different Senate leadership, and from a political stance (IMO) it surely can't hurt that the principal Senate Author is Chair of Senate EPW (Environment and Public Works, which is absolutely one of the most powerful committees in the Senate).

CB, Thanks for the link that's perfect. For all, pass the word to please contact your delegation and keep doing so, go to a town hall meeting and directly ask if they support the PBR-2 and if not ask why? it will make a difference in the final push.

Thanks,

Kirby

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    More details from AOPA:

Support continues to grow for the Pilotís Bill of Rights 2, which would reform the third class medical process and provide a wide range of protections for pilots. As of March 19, AOPA members had sent 32,434 letters asking their members of Congress to co-sponsor the Pilotís Bill of Rights 2, and 16 senators and 30 members of the House had signed on as co-sponsors.
    While the provisions of the Pilotís Bill of Rights 2 that deal with third class medical reform have received the most attention in the general aviation community, the legislation also includes numerous other protections for pilots, particularly those involved in FAA investigations or enforcement actions.

One portion of the legislation expands on the original Pilotís Bill of Rights that was signed into law in 2012, extending the protections contained in the original bill to all FAA certificate holders.

The new legislation also clarifies that pilots who are facing an FAA enforcement or certificate action can choose to appeal directly either to a U.S. district court or to the National Transportation Safety Board for a trial or a full hearing. While retaining the ability for the matter to be heard by NTSB administrative law judges, this gives pilots the opportunity to have their case heard, instead, in a court of law by a neutral third party and holds the FAA to a strict standard of proof.

To ensure that certificate holders are given a fair chance to respond to a notification of an FAA investigation, the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 would require the FAA to provide a specific description of the incident being investigated, making it easier for the certificate holder to understand the nature of the issues under consideration and respond appropriately.

Of course, a certificate holder can only respond to the FAAís concerns if he or she knows what they are. Under the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2, if the FAA fails to provide timely notification that it is initiating an investigation, the agency cannot move forward with any administrative or enforcement action or retain any records related to the case.

To prevent placing undue burdens on certificate holders and to guard against an investigation from being used as a platform to freely intrude into unrelated areas, the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 would only allow the FAA to demand documents from the certificate holder that relate to the issues identified in its notification of investigation.

The FAA also would be prohibited from publicizing any pending enforcement actions. If no enforcement action is taken, the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 would prohibit the FAA from retaining investigative records for more than 90 days.
    If the FAA does take an enforcement action or issue an emergency order, it would be required to provide the certificate holder with a copy of the releasable portion of the Enforcement Investigative Report (EIR).

To improve the efficiency of the FAA enforcement process and help assure greater fairness for pilots, the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 also would give FAA lawyers more flexibility to resolve cases administratively through actions such as warning letters or letters of correction.
    The Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 takes further steps to protect certificate holders by prohibiting the FAA from requiring pilots to submit to re-examination of their pilot certificate unless there is clear evidence of unsafe behavior on the part of the pilot or the pilot has obtained his or her certificate through fraudulent means. If the FAA does require re-examination of a pilot, the agency would be required to first give the airman a detailed explanation of the reason, and if the FAA takes action against the airmanís certificate as a result of the re-examination, the airman would, in turn, have the right to appeal.

The Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 also includes provisions to expedite improvements to the notam system. Under the legislation, notams must be maintained in a public repository that is Internet accessible, machine readable, and searchable. Temporary flight restrictions (TFRs) also will have to be included in the repository. Additionally, the FAA must establish a rating system that prioritizes the notam according to timeliness and importance. If the FAA doesnít meet the legislationís timeline for making the updates or if a notam is not included in the repository, the FAA wonít be allowed to take enforcement actions based on a notam violation.

To ensure that pilots have access to critical records pertaining to an investigation or enforcement action, the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 would make the flight data records maintained by contract towers, flight service stations, and other FAA contractors subject to the Freedom of Information Act.

To protect aviation medical and pilot examiners, airworthiness representatives, and other FAA designees, the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 would protect against any civil liability for those designees who are acting with reasonable care in the performance of their FAA designated duties.

Pilots who fly for public benefit by providing volunteer services in an emergency or who fly for humanitarian or charitable purposes for nonprofit organizations also would receive protection from civil liability.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

There are no new ways to crash an airplane no matter how hard you may try!

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Response from one of my Senators:

Dear Joe:

Thank you for contacting me about changes to medical certification requirements for general aviation pilots. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

The Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2, S. 571, was introduced by Senator James Inhofe (R - Oklahoma) on February 25, 2015. This bipartisan legislation would build upon the Pilot’s Bill of Rights passed in 2012. Among other provisions, the bill would amend The Pilot’s Bill of Rights to extend medical certification exemptions to recreational and private pilots, eliminating costly medical examinations currently required by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The legislation would also facilitate certificate appeals and greater due process protections to individuals facing enforcement actions under the FAA. S. 571 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation for further consideration.

I joined a bipartisan group of my colleagues in co-sponsoring S. 1335, the Pilot’s Bill of Rights, signed into law on August 3, 2012. I am encouraged by the continued success of this law in securing appropriate protections to private aviation under FAA enforcement and look forward to consideration of S. 571.

Like you, I recognize the vital service the aviation sector plays in the lives of Idahoans and others from rural states. Aviation is key to enhancing the accessibility of many communities in Idaho, especially during emergencies and natural disasters. Thousands of Americans are employed in the field as small business owners, part manufacturers, pilots, recreational guides, technicians, and in many other direct and indirect jobs.

As an advocate for their unique needs, I am a member of the Senate General Aviation Caucus. The Caucus provides a mechanism to help educate Members of Congress and the public about the policies and practices that most affect the industry. Moreover, it serves as a forum to discuss the best ways to address the needs of the general aviation sector.

Please rest assured that I will continue to make decisions to reflect the interests of general aviators as well as the safety of Idahoans and the American people.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or other matters of interest to you.

Sincerely,

Mike Crapo
    United States Senator
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Response from one of my Senators:

Dear Joe:

Thank you for contacting me about changes to medical certification requirements for general aviation pilots. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

The Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2, S. 571, was introduced by Senator James Inhofe (R - Oklahoma) on February 25, 2015. This bipartisan legislation would build upon the Pilot’s Bill of Rights passed in 2012. Among other provisions, the bill would amend The Pilot’s Bill of Rights to extend medical certification exemptions to recreational and private pilots, eliminating costly medical examinations currently required by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The legislation would also facilitate certificate appeals and greater due process protections to individuals facing enforcement actions under the FAA. S. 571 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation for further consideration.

I joined a bipartisan group of my colleagues in co-sponsoring S. 1335, the Pilot’s Bill of Rights, signed into law on August 3, 2012. I am encouraged by the continued success of this law in securing appropriate protections to private aviation under FAA enforcement and look forward to consideration of S. 571.

Like you, I recognize the vital service the aviation sector plays in the lives of Idahoans and others from rural states. Aviation is key to enhancing the accessibility of many communities in Idaho, especially during emergencies and natural disasters. Thousands of Americans are employed in the field as small business owners, part manufacturers, pilots, recreational guides, technicians, and in many other direct and indirect jobs.

As an advocate for their unique needs, I am a member of the Senate General Aviation Caucus. The Caucus provides a mechanism to help educate Members of Congress and the public about the policies and practices that most affect the industry. Moreover, it serves as a forum to discuss the best ways to address the needs of the general aviation sector.

Please rest assured that I will continue to make decisions to reflect the interests of general aviators as well as the safety of Idahoans and the American people.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or other matters of interest to you.

Sincerely,

Mike Crapo
    United States Senator
    I got the exact same reply letter today too. Shows that congress uses form letters as well. I guess it's only fair since I sent him an EAA form letter asking for support of S. 571.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I have meetings is DC on Tuesday of next week with Senator Inhofe and the rest of the Oklahoma Delligation and will post an update of the PBR2 Status afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've gotten the same letters from NH & Maine senators. None of them confirm support of new bill, but only acknowledge they would "consider" the new bill.....typical bs response.
    Is it a requirement that your spine be remove when elected to office???

Post Thanks / Like
    In a word, yes. Several years ago we had one of our hundreds of BS pieces of gun legislation going up for a vote. I called my assemblyman's office the day before the vote to voice my opinion and see where he stood on the issue.After being reassured that Mr. Herger was opposed to the new measure, 24 hours later he voted for it. Gutless bastards all.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Term limits!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I fared slightly better as Lisa is a cosponsor. Surprisingly, Don Young never replied nor did Mr. Sullivan.

Thank you for contacting me about S. 571, the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2. I appreciate hearing from you and having the opportunity to respond.

I have proudly cosponsored S. 571, introduced by Senator Inhofe on February 25, 2015. S. 571 would expand the medical exemption for third class pilot licenses from the sport-pilot category to include planes under 6,000 pounds and six or fewer passengers (including the pilot). The new medical requirements would align with those associated with state driver's licenses. S. 571 has been referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.

Should this legislation come before the full Senate, I will keep your comments in mind. Again, thank you for contacting me.
    United States Senator

http://murkowski.senate.gov*

The only real option is to ride them like a new pony. Relentlessly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, freshies will accomplish everything desired that is once they find ourwhere the rest room is (which is actually not all that easy in the house and senate office buidings)...
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 04-10-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our new Senator (Mike Rounds) signed on as a sponsor of the bill last week. I wrote all our legislators and ask for them to sponsor but he is the one that stepped up to the plate. I liked Mike as our governor, (no BS guy) and now three months in office he is starting to make his presence felt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    I have meetings is DC on Tuesday of next week with Senator Inhofe and the rest of the Oklahoma Delligation and will post an update of the PBR2 Status afterwards.
    Any news, Kirby?
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I attended a small luncheon presentation with Senator Inhofe and had a brief minute to mention it with him and later his staff tracked me down I discussed the status and what they needed with both his Chief of Staff and the specific staff running the bill (both of whom I know and are great guys). Right now the push is for additional support (they reported 22 co-sponsors) which they are happy with but while they wait on a hearing to be scheduled before the proper Committee they are looking for more sponsors which is where we can help. Schedule wise they are looking for a hearing this session and for news before OSH. I came away very positive and I requested an update of the co-sponsors so that we know where to push and where to send thanks...

Kirby
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 04-16-2015 at 04:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much!
    60 co-sponsors for the identical house bill. https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...062/cosponsors
    Last edited by Gordon Misch; 04-16-2015 at 04:58 PM.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kirby and please keep us apprised of status and where we can assist....I'm not getting any younger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mabye we can deliver them a petition with GYROCOPTER!

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Mabye we can deliver them a petition with GYROCOPTER!
    Those things are dangerous!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I got in touch with my "new" Congressman yesterday Rick Allen who replaced John Barrow and I got a firm YES from him about his support for this bill. I was told that he had many constituants who were pushing for it and he was 100% in favor of it and would keep me informed as to the timeline and help push it along wherever he could.

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder why someone didn't mention our problem?? Not very encouraging to me!!

More info from AOPA:

April 15, 2015
    By Dan Namowitz

FAA Administrator Michael Huerta appealed to a Senate committee for “stability and predictability” in funding for his agency, and provided updates on the status of several major modernization programs during an April 14 FAA reauthorization hearing. The enormous FAA reauthorization bill is up for renewal this year, and Huerta appeared as the lone witness before the Senate panel.
    Since the most recent reauthorization, he said, the FAA has made “major progress” on NextGen programs, logged a milestone with completion of a new high-altitude air traffic control system, and finished developing the coast-to-coast Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) system on which NextGen is founded.

“We have accomplished all of this despite a very challenging fiscal backdrop,” Huerta told the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. “Prior to 2012, the FAA faced 23 short-term extensions for reauthorization, as well as a lapse in spending authority and a partial furlough. Two years ago, like other federal agencies, we slashed our budget under the sequester and furloughed employees. Later that year, we continued to operate our nation’s air traffic control system and regulate industry safety despite a complete shutdown of the federal government. What the FAA needs in reauthorization is stability and predictable funding. We also need the flexibility to identify priorities and match our services and infrastructure with the needs of our users.”
    As the reauthorization process proceeds, AOPA continues to press Congress to pass legislation that would expand the third class medical exemption.
    In remarks to open the hearing, Chairman John Thune (R-S.D.) said the air traffic system has served well. However, “the Government Accountability Office and DOT’s Inspector General have pointed out many shortcomings with respect to FAA’s efforts to modernize our air traffic control system,” he said, adding that “some of the problems seem to be deep rooted and cultural in nature.”
    Senators pressed Huerta for specifics on the mandate for aircraft to be equipped by 2020 with ADS-B Out technology; the delivery, as mandated by Congress, of a proposed rule to rewrite Part 23 aircraft certification standards; and when a rule for developing an electronic pilot records database, mandated in 2010, would be completed.
    Huerta responded that the FAA is working with the aviation industry to bring about compliance with the ADS-B mandate—noting that there are now more satellite-based procedures in place than radar-based procedures.
    Asked by Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) when the FAA would publish its notice of proposed rulemaking on Part 23 aircraft certification standards—as the agency is required to do under provisions included in the Small Airplane Revitalization Act—Huerta said he hoped the proposed rule would be ready by year’s end.
    Responding to an inquiry by Thune, Huerta conceded “frustration” at the pace of progress on a rule for an improved electronic pilot records database mandated by Congress in 2010.
    The rule’s due date has been moved back more than a year, to next April. The database would provide air carriers and other employers with easier access to pilot training records and other information about flight crew applicants. The task is a complex undertaking, facing a variety of challenges, but the FAA and industry are working cooperatively on solutions, Huerta told the committee.
    Responding to questions about the notion of potentially restructuring the current air traffic control system by potentially privatizing or establishing a government corporation, Huerta noted that all options were up for consideration, but that first it was important to answer the question, “What exactly is the problem we’re trying to solve?”

Post Thanks / Like
    PBR-2 is pending a hearing before that committee. Unfortunately untill then it is not official business of that committee nor is it a requirement/mandate to the FAA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got this from NY Democratic Senator Gillibrand. Amazingly, she supports the medical portion of the bill but "has concerns" about another area.

Thank you for taking time to contact me regarding your support for S. 571, The Pilot's Bill of Rights 2, introduced by Senator Inhofe. I welcome feedback from my constituents, and I appreciate your interest in this issue.*

The Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 builds upon S. 1335, Pilot's Bill of Rights, which was signed into law by President Obama on August 2, 2012. This legislation would take away the requirement for a medical certificate for many private pilot flights in small aircraft. I support this part of the legislation because the data has shown that the cost of administering these certificates has not delivered a meaningful safety benefit and has cost pilots millions of dollars every year. However, I am concerned with other parts of this legislation that would limit the FAA's ability to request documents from entities under investigation or allowing appeals of FAA enforcement cases to be heard in federal district courts instead of exclusively by the National Transportation Safety Board who are experts in aviation safety.*

Thank you again for writing to express your concerns, and I hope that you keep in touch with my office regarding future legislation.* For more information on this and other important issues, please visit my website at*http://gillibrand.senate.gov and sign up for my e-newsletter.**
    Sincerely,
    Kirsten Gillibrand
    United States Senator

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another update:

AOPA President Mark Baker give an update on the association at Sun 'n Fun. Baker highlighted positive actions in support of the pilot community, legislative wins, and even some news on Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B). Top of mind for him, as well as most in attendance, was third class medical reform. Jim Coon, AOPA’s senior vice president of government affairs and advocacy, came on stage to give a detailed picture of where he thinks the issue stands today. “All of our efforts are on the legislative side at this point,” he said. Coon said he believes that Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2 can be successful, but that the legislative calendar really only enables it to happen between now and October.

Coon stressed that the best way to help is to reach out to your members of Congress and ask them to co-sponsor the bill. AOPA has made that easy for members. Simply click on the website and fill out the form to make sure your representatives in Washington, D.C., know you support medical reform.
    The issue is obviously quite important for many members. Out of seven questions at the end of the session, five were on this issue.
    Third class medical reform may be AOPA’s most important advocacy initiative, but it’s one of many issues the association is working on. Baker touched on everything from aircraft certification reform to stops by law enforcement to ADS-B equipage. On the issue of the Customs and Border Protection’s Air and Marine Division stopping law-abiding pilots, Baker declared a win. Meetings with top officials in the agency resulted in a change in policy, and reports of stops went from more than 50 to zero. We’ll remain vigilant, Baker said, but for now the issue appears to have died down.
    Many aircraft owners see the ADS-B Out mandate of Jan. 1, 2020, approaching quickly. Based on recent industry announcements and knowing the costs of manufacturing and certification, Baker said he thinks the cost of certified ADS-B Out units won’t come down much more. AOPA supports ADS-B, he said, and the benefits that exist today should encourage everyone to equip. “I think the juice is worth the squeeze,” he said.

I've only briefed a congressional committee twice (back during the first Clinton dynasty) but I can tell you that if you don't spend time working the aids off-line, nothing gets done. I was successful in getting funding by offering tours of the agency to the aids. They loved it and the went back to their bosses with a strong recommendation since they understood the problems. No further discussion was necessary with the committee.

I'm sure the AOPA/EAA reps are doing that but everyone should realize the FAA Administrator can fix the problem with a signature or just a phone call to his folks and when he is trying to get funding is the perfect time for that to happen. This is political, not rocket science!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently heard back from Dan Sullivan's office (new R Senator from Alaska). Looks like he's signed on as a co-sponsor. I sent a message via the web site embedded in this thread, and followed up with a separate email to each. Had previously heard from Lisa Murkowski (R-AK, Senator) and she's also a co-sponsor. As expected, no word from Don Young.

Jim

Thank you for contacting me regarding S.571, the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me on this issue and welcome the opportunity to respond.
    Aviation is a primary form of transportation in Alaska and often times the only option to move people and commerce throughout the state. Therefore, it is critical we have an aviation system that is safe, reliable, and accessible for pilots and passengers. It is also important to have a balanced relationship between the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the general aviation community, which at times has been splintered.
    In 2012, the first Pilot's Bill of Rights was passed into law and made positive inroads towards rebalancing the relationship between the FAA and general aviation pilots. The legislation walked back many of the federal overreaches by establishing due process for pilots under investigation and adding expanded protections against FAA enforcement actions by providing pilots access to FAA held evidence such as investigative reports, and air traffic control and flight data recordings. The law also required the FAA to provide the evidence being used as the basis of enforcement at least 30 days in advance of any enforcement action.
    Building off the success from the initial Pilot's Bill of Right, S. 571 continues to make the essential reforms for pilots, such as streamlining an overly burdensome medical certification process, increasing transparency and access to additional information for pilots subjected to investigation, and providing volunteer pilots with liability protection when providing non-profit transportation services for public benefit.
    Given the importance of the general aviation community to Alaska as well as the need to rebalance the relationship between pilots and the FAA, I am a proud cosponsor of S.571, the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2.
    Thank you again for contacting me on this issue. If you have any more questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me or my staff. My office can be reached at 202-224-3004, or online at www.sullivan.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Dan Sullivan
    United States Senator

Post Thanks / Like

One Senator is a Sponsor--here is the other

Thank you for contacting me about pilot certification regulations and safety issues. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you know, the Pilotís Bill of Rights 2 (S. 571) was introduced by Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) on February 25, 2015. In addition to making certain revisions to the original Pilotís Bill of Rights, passed in 2011, this legislation would expand the third-class medical exemption for the sport pilot category, allow new avenues of appeal for pilots facing enforcement actions, attempt to streamline the Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) process, and address other related matters of concern to many pilots. The bill has been referred to the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation for further consideration.

As chairman of the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee and a strong supporter of general aviation, I look forward to evaluating the Pilotís Bill of Rights 2, and other bills like it, during my committeeís upcoming hearings on the reauthorization of the Federal Aviation Administration. In a state like South Dakota, where long distances often separate communities, the use of general aviation aircraft has been and will continue to be vital for a number of individuals and businesses. I certainly recognize the concerns that exist about the current medical certification requirements for private pilots, and I agree that it is worth evaluating the benefits of removing some of these burdens, while ensuring that safety is not jeopardized.

I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind during any consideration of this legislation. If you would like additional information on my activities in the Senate, please feel free to visit my website, http://www.thune.senate.gov. Thanks again for contacting me. Please keep in touch.

Kindest regards,

JOHN THUNE
    United States Senator
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    As chairman of the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee and a strong supporter of general aviation, I look forward to "evaluating" the Pilot’s Bill of Rights 2, and other bills like it.........

JOHN THUNE
    United States Senator[/QUOTE]

Another useless senator.........looks forward to "evaluating" PBR2. No mention of supporting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    April 30, 2015

Dear Albert,

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate hearing from you.

As a member of the Congressional General Aviation Caucus, I understand the important role of general aviation in our nation's economy. I am proud to be an original cosponsor of the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2, which would expand medical exemptions for recreational pilots, and improve protections for pilots engaged in enforcement actions with the Federal Aviation Administration. Maintaining open communication with the people of New Hampshire is very important to me, and I appreciate hearing your encouragement and opinions about this issue.

Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the Senate considers the important issues facing our nation. Thank you again for your letter, and please do not hesitate to contact my office with any future concerns.

Sincerely,

Jeanne Shaheen
    United States Senator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Coon stressed that the best way to help is to reach out to your members of Congress and ask them to co-sponsor the bill. AOPA has made that easy for members. Simply click on the website and fill out the form to make sure your representatives in Washington, D.C., know you support medical reform........
    Done! Took about 90 seconds.
    Don't know how much good it's really gonna do-- I think our elected officials vote their own mind, NOT necessarily the way their constituents urge them to vote. I usually get the same sort of response as noted by Chicken Hawk-- "thanks for your opinion, I'll think about it", not "hey I'm with you!"
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Patty and Maria are not on board? What a shocker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cantwell responded to me with some nonsense about hindering the FAA's pursuit of safety. I should write back and 'splain it to her?! No response from Murray. However - - The congresswoman for my district, Jaime Herrera Beutler, is a co-sponsor.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey Gray View Post
    I think they are both way past their expiration date as our senators, but unfortunately they keep getting voted in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same opinion about the Oregon contingent. Wyden, Waldren and Bonamici all responded with their agendas but totally ignored the pilots rights bill I asked them to support. Guess it's all about what they want as opposed to what we do.

Post Thanks / Like
    They all have town hall meetings, go and take friends... have 2 or three prepared to ask good questions and you'll be suprised how well it can get proper attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    The response from my freshman Congressman: "Dear friend, thank you for taking the time to send me an email. I will follow up with a response soon. Best regards, Derek Kilmer". Same response as last time I sent him an email on this subject...and he never got back to me then. I don't expect anything different this time. This is the guy who starts off almost every newsletter with "We have to do something about Congress not responding to the people's concerns" or similar. As far as I can tell, he's part of the problem he keeps referring to-- kind of like the kettle complaining about the pot being black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well Hallelujah, our Congresswomen got on Board. (Kristi Noem)
    I too got the canned response from her originally. But here is her letter from today.

May 29, 2015

Dear Tom,

Thanks for contacting me about H.R. 1062, the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2. It's great to hear from you! I'd like to take a moment to discuss this legislation, which I am cosponsoring in the House.

The Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 would strengthen reforms that were signed into law during the 112th Congress, and includes new provisions that would further protect pilots from overly burdensome regulations, most notably relating to medical certifications.

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) currently requires periodical medical certifications for anyone acting as a pilot in command. A second class medical certificate is required for commercial pilots, while a first class medical certification is required for airline transport pilots.

There is also a third-class medical certificate requirement for unpaid private pilots, and this is the subject of H.R. 1062. The bill would effectively waive the medical certificate requirement for these pilots, as long as they are operating an aircraft no heavier than 6,000 pounds under visual flight rules or instrument flight rules with a maximum of six occupants and have a valid state driver's license.

I have long supported general aviation, and I am glad to have another opportunity to do so by cosponsoring the Pilot's Bill of Rights 2.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts with meóplease keep in touch!

Sincerely,

Kristi Noem
    Member of Congress

Post Thanks / Like
    Still a canned response. Contains no new information. Thanks for contacting your representative though, we need to ride them like horses if this thing is going to go anywhere.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !