• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Calling Kodiak Island Pilots

T T

Portland Oregon
Hey you Alaska Pilots.....My new job is giving me many opportunities to travel to Alaska. I'm headed to Kodiak next week, Nov 4-6. I mentioned this to DW and he said that I might reach out to the Supercubs.org members. He was not sure if any of you live in that area or not, but it was with a try to see if I could connect with one of you while on the island. I've never been to the island so I'm really looking forward to doing some sight seeing. I'll be in Anchorage a few nights too. It would be fun to meet more members of this site. Best way to reach me is to call my cell. Terri 541-639-9045.

Have a great trip, Terri! I hope you get to do some flying while up there. I'm so envious!

C'mon, guys - where's the offers? Terri's a tailwheel pilot, and owns a 120. Show some love here!

Anne.

Last edited:
Terri,
Hope you enjoy your trip up here. Are there any members in Kodiak?

Dillingham would be a long ways out of your way, besides there isn't much to do/see here in November. That's why I'm leaving next week to Indiana for a month. November can be kind of a tough month to get out and do much up here. Float season is over, and except for up north it's unlikely lakes are safe for ski flying. Just dealing with getting the plane ready to fly this time of the year can be a chore. It's unlikely you can get out with a snow machine yet either. So,…a good time to get gone.

I'm sure some members in the Anchorage area will be in touch. In any event you can have lots of fun just spending time at Merrill Field and Lake Hood checking out all the different planes. You've likely not seen anything like it. Be sure and plan time to visit the museum at Lake Hood. Your post mentions you'll be able to make other trips to Alaska. Hopefully they will be at a time of the year more conducive to getting out and doing more and seeing more of the state.

Jim W
Dillingham

A friend has just asked if I could recommend a pilot to fly him in and drop him off in a remote area of Kodiak. Let me know if there is a preferred company to talk to please.

Bobby

A friend has just asked if I could recommend a pilot to fly him in and drop him off in a remote area of Kodiak. Let me know if there is a preferred company to talk to please.

Bobby

Bobby,

The two outfits on Kodiak that I would fly with (and have sent family members to fly with) are:

Andrew Airways: http://www.andrewairways.com/

Dean Andrew has been flying air taxi since the mid 80s on Kodiak Island. He runs an outstanding and safe operation. They have a range of airplanes available, for different loads.

Or: Harvey Flying Service: http://www.harveyflyingservice.com/

Steve Harvey grew up on Kodiak Island, and his Dad flew commercially there. Steve has been flying on the island since he was a youngster. In the mid 70's, Steve bought Grumman 481, a Grumman Widgeon.....and has flown it as an air taxi operation ever since. Nobody on Kodiak has more experience flying on Kodiak than Steve.

Kodiak can be a challenging place to fly, and the air taxi business can be a tough one. These two outfits have been getting the job done safely for a long time.

And, hey, going flying in a Grumman Widgeon????? How cool is that? That Widgeon was, at one time, a Fish and Wildlife airplane as well....it has quite a history.

But, both of these outfits are excellent operations.

MTV

I agree with mvivion about flying with these two companys . I have a hanger in kodiak and spend alot of time around there . These companies are my choices as well

Hi Terri.

Im based in Kodiak. Be glad to show you around if I have time. Since it is prime deer season and also bear hunting season I am pretty busy this time of year. I have a 180 and a cub that I operate commercially so usually don't have a lot of extra room on revenue trips, but you never know. I also know all the other operators on the island and I'm sure we can get you on a flight with someone.

My number is 385-7213 or if you have facebook I'm on there as North River Air and my cell phone number is posted. Hope we have some of the amazing weather we have had this year when you visit.

Taj

Thanks Jim, I'll likely be flying to Alaska on a quarterly basis. I have customers to visit on Kodiak Island, North of Anchorage, Sitka and Ketchikan. Thanks for the nice message! Terri

Hi and thanks Taj, I'll save your number and may I may give you a ring while on the island. It would be fun to talk to a local to learn about the area. Thank you for the invite to call. Terri

I work in Anchorage and we live 50 miles north of town in Wasilla. We dont currently own a plane but find other ways to enjoy Alaska for now. Happy to meet new people. You can call or facebook. Ill PM the number

Bobby

I highly recommend Dean Andrew of Andrew Airways. They make their living flying people and cargo in and out of tough spots on the island. But I admit to being prejudiced. They have some of my work in their airplanes AND i have one of their t-shirts.

Web

Back