• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Basin Harbor VT

cubdriver2

FRIEND
upstate NY
Went to Basin Harbor with the spousal unit yesterday for a leaf peeping flight. Had a great meal at the Red Mill and then walked around soaking up the sun. Also within walking distance of the north end of the runway is the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum. If you like boats this is a really cool museum. If your in the North East and looking for a good Food and fun flying stop, golf also, try out Basin Harbor.

http://www.resortsandlodges.com/lod...XPhnmU9qmjZY67G0W7A-226zspVq8-8KNwhoClQDw_wcB

http://skyvector.com/airport/B06/Basin-Harbor-Airport

http://www.lcmm.org/museum_info/visit.htm open till 10/12/14

Glenn

I do love Vermont! Lot's of family history there. What follows is not meant meanly: I didn't think they had any airports left :) I was in Brattleboro last year for a little over a week and ask around about airports and no one knew of any or even why they would allow one! I decided not to talk about flying as in "When in Rome, do...". As a joke and tongue in cheek: "I assume this airport is the main Vermont airport?". I haven't looked online or anything as I was there for research. It is a most beautiful state and the people are interesting but a little different.

Basin Harbor is a great place, we go there often for a quick lunch. Vermont has some great airports and even a few private grass strips that are awesome, mostly in the Champlain Valley. Once you get into the mountains they thin out. I will say that lately the state of Vermont has been more interested in improving the state of aviation here, progressively pouring huge money into improving the existing airports. Morrisville just got a nice expansion and new FBO, Rutland is getting an update and there are big plans for Springfield. Newport just recieved approval for a $20 mill expansion / renovation as part of a $500 mill development project for the Northeast Kingdom, they even lured Flight Design there to build the CTLS. I wish, though there was a more friendly atmosphere toward our kind of flying, private grass strips etc.

I do love Vermont! Lot's of family history there. What follows is not meant meanly: I didn't think they had any airports left :) I was in Brattleboro last year for a little over a week and ask around about airports and no one knew of any or even why they would allow one! I decided not to talk about flying as in "When in Rome, do...". As a joke and tongue in cheek: "I assume this airport is the main Vermont airport?". I haven't looked online or anything as I was there for research. It is a most beautiful state and the people are interesting but a little different.

Go on Skyvector, get on the NY sectional and look at Vermont, then get back to us

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412641030.274508.jpg

Too big to be joes or is it?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412641030.274508.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412641030.274508.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 239
View attachment 17313

Too big to be joes or is it?

Its a real mans boat. Its a replica of the boat Benedict Arnold and his men hacked out of the forest in 3 weeks, to tie up the British fleet on Lk Champlain delaying them long enough that they had to leave Lk Champlain or get frozen in. It allowed the Continental Army to turn the tide and win in Saratoga. Arnold was a bold and cunning General, and we would have never won without his audacious fighting style. His men thought he was nuts, but loved him and follow him into the fight, he lead from the front.

Glenn

Thanks for the Basin Harbor Pictures. It is a great airport to visit with a smooth grass runway that is maintained by the golf course crew. The Red Mill is very nice for lunch and it is fun to walk around the resort. Flying over Lake Champlain and the Champlain valley is a pleasant way to spend an afternoon in your Super Cub.

Bill Batesole
KVSF Springfield VT

I spend a lot of time that way, just got a pa-12 up in Potsdam NY, took it down to Basin on floats...that lake has some big scary waves! If your ever up this way stop in we have a few good grass strips up here! Mike kptd/kslk

Back