Thread: Super Legend Review

Post Thanks / Like

Super Legend Review

I traded my PA-14 (and cash) for a new Super Legend Cub on Friday Sept. 26. On Saturday, I flew it from Fort Worth to Santa Fe (with a stop at Pierce Aero in Graham). I met my Dad in Santa Fe. He was flying a 1978 150 hp PA-18 with McCauly prop (I donít know the pitch).

On Sunday, we flew from Santa Fe to Ruidoso, NM, to Marfa, Tx, and then to Cibalo Creek. We flew home to Fort Worth on Monday.

I wanted to relay my thoughts on the Super Legend after just under 20 hours in 4 days. First off, the airplane flew great. We opted for the simpler panel with a Garmin 796 (instead of the Garmin 3X). Our setup far exceeded my expectations; I was really impressed with its capability.

The Super Legend comes with a 115 hp YO-233. Ours has a Catto climb prop. The Super Legend seemed to get off at least as short as Dadís PA-18, and seemed to land shorter. Even out of Ruidoso (6,800 ft. msl), the Super Legend had plenty of performance. It consistently out climbed the -18, even as high as 9,000 ft. For comparisons sake-we were both flying by ourselves (210 lbs for me, 225 lbs for Dad) with full fuel and about 25 to 30 pounds of baggage.

In cruise, the PA-18 was a few knots faster than the Super Legend. The Super Legend seems to be about 10-15 knots slower than my PA-14.

I avoided slow flight and touch and goes because I am breaking in the engine. I am looking forward to spending some time in the pattern.

I have not flown a Carbon Cub, so I canít make a comparison. I think a comparably equipped Carbon Cub would be at least $30k more.

So far, I am really pleased with the Super Legend. It performs much better than I expected it to with 115 hp.

I will try to post pictures if I can figure it out.

Ed
    Last edited by Lasater; 09-30-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a fun ride, do you know what the empty weight is?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the airplane came in at 874 lbs. I don't have the weight and balance in front me. I also need to pull the empty weight of Dad's PA-18.

Also, posting photos may be beyond the reach of my abilities.

Post Thanks / Like
    They do look like a very nicely updated version of the -95HP Super Cub. Surprised it came in 10-15 knots slower than your Family Cruiser - was your PA14 mod to have a bigger engine?

Post Thanks / Like
    My PA-14 had 150 hp. The -14 is cleaner than an -18 and the wing has a different angle of incidence. I also had more of a cruise prop on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Super Legend

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	445 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	17241Here is Legend and the -14 on trade day.

Post Thanks / Like

Super Legend review

Name:	IMG_9122.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	313.3 KB 
ID:	17245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1623.JPG 
Views:	559 
Size:	734.6 KB 
ID:	17246Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1572.JPG 
Views:	430 
Size:	723.6 KB 
ID:	17247Here is the panel, the Super Legend and Dad's Super Cub getting gas in Marfa, and me on delivery day. Notice the ego-centric N-number on the Legend. Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    The guy sitting between the 2 planes looks like hes had a long day.
    Last edited by tempdoug; 09-30-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	N41QB.JPG 
Views:	180 
Size:	442.4 KB 
ID:	17249That beaten down man between the pumps is my Dad after flying 5 hours in his Super Cub. He has been a pilot for 49 or 50 years, so he doesn't pump gas anymore. Pumping gas is my job. He looks better in flight over the west Texas desert.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're gonna' like it a lot. Who makes the 3-in-1 oil temperature/pressure/voltage instrument?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know who makes the 3 in 1. I like it. Very easy to read.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lasater,

I found 'em. They are made by UMA and each 3-in-1 instrument can include a combination of any of their 1.25" instruments i.e., EGT CHT, MP, Oil Temp'/Pres', Fuel, Voltage, AMPs, OAT, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ed let me take his new toy around the patch on Saturday morning. All I can say is "Wow". She was off the ground in no time and climbed like a home sick angel. Very light on the controls and fun to horse around like a J3. I really enjoyed flying although I just went around the patch. Landed nice and slow as well.

Name:	20140927_084715.jpg 
Views:	2328 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	17262

Name:	20140927_083020.jpg 
Views:	2113 
Size:	616.5 KB 
ID:	17263
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, How fast were you climbing when the picture was taken? I thought that it ought to cruise faster than 76?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    The electronic "attitude indicator" in the bottom right of the panel actually shows rate of climb instead of pitch. He was going up 1,000 fpm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom left of panel. My mistake

Post Thanks / Like
    I see it now. How fast does it cruise? Nice plane by the way.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Who's nice little double fork tail wheel is on it. Better pix?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn

http://www.apitailwheels.com/products/products.html

Not sure which one they use now. I have a Maule on mine but Legend switched to API shortly after. I don't think they are STC'd for standard category, but I could be wrong. The double fork models are toward the bottom of the page.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Rich, I like their tail wheels. I'm using one of their soft rubber tired wheels that I modified to fit my Scott 2000. Really absorbs the bumps.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine in the Super Legend is "multi-fuel" so what octane auto fuel is recommended? And I'm assuming 10% ethanol is allowed or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    91 octane. No ethanol.

Post Thanks / Like

Super Legend

I took my nephew up for a ride in the Super Legend over Thanksgiving. He had a great time, and he kept me well under gross. One great thing about Clarity Aloft headsets is that you are not restricted to baseball caps for flying.

50 hours on the airframe so far, and we continue to be pleased. This airplane should not perform as well as it does on 115 hp.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ed and G4.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	784.9 KB 
ID:	18022

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you like the 3-in-1 guage? Is it big enough? What would you change on the panel? Inquiring minds want to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    How did the fuel burn compare on your trip against the PA-18?

Post Thanks / Like
    Jasperfield: The three in one works great. It is easy to read. The only change I would consider in the panel is a fuel flow/totalizer. The fuel system is a simple on/off (no left/right), and the tanks are interconnected. It works great, but the fuel gauge levels (standard cub sight gauges) bounce around a lot in flight.

Photosfromabove: We were running the Legend at 2550 rpm during the cross country because of engine break in. My fuel flows were in the 6.5 to 7 gal an hour range. The PA-18 was doing 8 to 8.5 at the same speeds.

Lycoming delivered the engine with a carb that runs way too rich in order for it to run good on mogas. As a consequence, the engine runs rough at low rpm unless the mixture is leaned almost to cut-off. Lycoming has fixed the issue, and I will schedule the installation of the new carb after the new year. It will be interesting to see what the new carb does to cruise fuel flows.

I will do a lot of low and slow flying at the ranch over Christmas. I will try to track the fuel flow at lower power settings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Lasater ,I have a 1947 PA-12 sitting in my garage waiting for my next hangar to be built,it has the O235C,not sure what mods I am going to do yet,wings were uncovered when I bought it so I am planning to do the flap mod,I have friends at the airport that say the 12 flies fine with out flaps but now would be the time to do it.I only weigh 150lbs so think I will leave the engine alone for now

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ed, how has this year been for you flying the Super Legend? Did you ever get the new carb installed to check fuel flow? You've sure got a BEAUTIFUL Super Legend! Thanks.

Drew

Post Thanks / Like
    Drew,
    I sent you a pm. The new carb is great. We are burning 5.5 to 6 gph in cruise, so we have about 5 hours of fuel with the 30 gallon tanks.

The airplane has been great so far. It spent the summer at Aspen, Co with my father. I only got one flight up there, and the airplane performed well at altitude. I took it up to 12,500 to fly around Haystack Mountain and Mt. Sopris. It is now waiting for me at our ranch in South Texas. We have simple open t-hangar and a 500 gallon fuel trailer full of avgas. I will spend that holidays hunting quail, doves, and deer and flying the Super Legend all over South Texas.

I can't wait.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lasater View Post
    Drew,
    I sent you a pm. The new carb is great. We are burning 5.5 to 6 gph in cruise, so we have about 5 hours of fuel with the 30 gallon tanks.

The airplane has been great so far. It spent the summer at Aspen, Co with my father. I only got one flight up there, and the airplane performed well at altitude. I took it up to 12,500 to fly around Haystack Mountain and Mt. Sopris. It is now waiting for me at our ranch in South Texas. We have simple open t-hangar and a 500 gallon fuel trailer full of avgas. I will spend that holidays hunting quail, doves, and deer and flying the Super Legend all over South Texas.

I can't wait.

Ed

Did they change the door latch on the bottom door? Push down to open instead of pull up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ed,

That is awesome. Sounds like the O-233 is the perfect engine for this bird. Glad to hear you're loving it! Thanks for talking to me and for all of the useful information. Have a blast at your ranch these next few weeks! That sounds like heaven haha. Thanks again!

behindpropellers,

I believe the bottom door latched by pushing down on the 2014 Super Legend I sat in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our door handle works the opposite of a PA-18. It does not seem to matter one way or the other to me. What are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Our door handle works the opposite of a PA-18. It does not seem to matter one way or the other to me. What are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Ed,

Would you mind filming your beautiful Super Legend while you're gone? Maybe just a take-off and landing? I haven't been able to find much video online. Have fun down there Ed! Thanks.

Drew