• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bendix Injection O-470

If anyone is interested I have a o470 K bendix injected Stc'd 260 Hp. sitting. Will sell firewall forward.Make a offer am open to anything.

394-3579

Just wondering if any of you guys have any information on pponk converted 470s with injection. I have a 470 Dyen converted to the RSA, but the motor is getting old and I'd like to go with the pponk conversion on O/H. Even just a tail # I could pull the 337s for my IA. My plane is referenced above as being converted in 97.

p.ponk IO-470-50

Just wondering if any of you guys have any information on pponk converted 470s with injection. I have a 470 Dyen converted to the RSA, but the motor is getting old and I'd like to go with the pponk conversion on O/H. Even just a tail # I could pull the 337s for my IA. My plane is referenced above as being converted in 97.

I am installing RSA fuel injection in my Cessna 180, which has an O-470-50 engine as we speak (type). I have an approved Field Approval, but the work has not been accomplished yet so it has not been filed. There has been several O-470-50s converted to RSA fuel injection and I have copies of the 337s. Unfortunately the 337's are somewhat vague and could lead to expensive "errors". I am not familiar with the Dyen conversion and would like to get more information. All the previous 337s I have use the old Bendix STC as reference. Unfortunately, the STC included a kit and many of the part numbers are kit specific making part identification difficult. The STC data also is contradictory in several places. Please contact me PM for more info.

I am installing RSA fuel injection in my Cessna 180, which has an O-470-50 engine as we speak (type). I have an approved Field Approval, but the work has not been accomplished yet so it has not been filed. There has been several O-470-50s converted to RSA fuel injection and I have copies of the 337s. Unfortunately the 337's are somewhat vague and could lead to expensive "errors". I am not familiar with the Dyen conversion and would like to get more information. All the previous 337s I have use the old Bendix STC as reference. Unfortunately, the STC included a kit and many of the part numbers are kit specific making part identification difficult. The STC data also is contradictory in several places. Please contact me PM for more info.
It matters not what the "other" approvals say. What matters is what is said on your field approval. If it is vague you have a lot of leeway in how you do it.

I agree. But leeway doesn't mean right way.
You have copies of several approvals. How do you know that any of them is the right way? You now have the leeway to be certain that you do it the right way without being restricted to what may not be the right way. You may find that if you do something a little bit different that it is a better way. You are fortunate to not be restricted to one way. If you are not comfortable in accomplishing the mission yourself, then get someone with more knowledge and understanding of the system to help you.

Precision Airmotive O-470 fuel injection STC docs

Just to add info to the mix, here are the Precision Airmotive STC docs that I got today from Peter @ Precision Airmotive. I can't get it to upload more clearly than it is, but I can send you the originals via email if you want them.
J

Attachments

• STC for 470-C182.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 572
  • 470 FI STC letter.pdf
    97.9 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I can’t post the pdf’s, but I talked to Precision Airmotive and they emailed me much cleaner copies of their paperwork.

it would be nice to see a newer field approval with some updated part numbers. As I go through the PA paperwork, a lot of the pieces are NLA.

rod
63 C180E

Hello,

Want to do this FI to my O-520 that is being ohd now and PPonk stc for 1975 182P. Any one out there who have done this recently or know of a shop that can do this for me ?

Thanks a lot!

Hello,

Want to do this FI to my O-520 that is being ohd now and PPonk stc for 1975 182P. Any one out there who have done this recently or know of a shop that can do this for me ?

Thanks a lot!
Why don't you just use the Continental fuel injection system? It is more consistently easier to operate during hot starts.

Who sell just the STC for Continental FI? Header tank is another issue to deal with and more time with installation.

Electronic Ignition should ease the hot start issue?

The 0-520 that you are planning to use was originally an IO-520 which already had the FI system installed. The only difference would be the installation in your 182. The header tank would not necessarily be required. The vapor return fuel line could easily just be "T"'d into the front feed line from one of the wing fuel tanks.

If you're going to convert to a Continental system? You'll need an STC. Lots of work. The reason most Pponk guys go with Bendix is to eliminate the added accumulator tank and fuel lines. Simpler all the way around. With that there's an old obscure STC but most guys go with field approval. Whether your 0-520 began as an IO-520 is unlikely. Not impossible but most Pponks began as 0-470s. No matter, the rreal work to convert to Continental injection is in the airframe, not the engine. There was an active Bendix thread about a year ago. Do a search and you'll find it.

What's the end game? Does your plane make ice?

1 & 2) Eliminate Carb Ice, 3) Better CHT management 4) Fuel economy

My engine was manufactured in 2013 and sold as IO-520F which was converted to O-520 by Texas Skyways. I don't want to buy a new engine and STC from TexasSkyways or Air Plains to convert this to IO.

Hello,

Thanks a lot!

For anyone wanting to do this mod on a PPonk engine, it might be worth talking to someone that has already done it. From what I understand, the RSA5 fuel servo that is part of the F.I. STC is:
a) only rated up to 250HP and may not provide enough fuel flow for a PPonk, and;
b) has a smaller bore than the MA4-5 carb it replaces which may not provide enough air flow.

It sounds like a good fit for a stock 470, but might be a bit 'stretched' on a PPonk'd engine. Anyone have actual experience with this on a PPonk ??

Chris

My engine was manufactured in 2013 and sold as IO-520F which was converted to O-520 by Texas Skyways. I don't want to buy a new engine and STC from TexasSkyways or Air Plains to convert this to IO.
My first suggestion would have been to talk to Texas Skyways. They are good people to deal with. I am a happy customer. Since your engine was originally an IO-520, simply removing the STC modifications would return it to original without an additional STC. Next would be an STC to incorporate it in your 182. A quick google search brought up John Jewell Aircraft. I suggest that a phone call would answer your questions.
http://www.airmart.com/sites/default/files/John Jewell Aircraft _ STC Services _ C182.pdf

1 & 2) Eliminate Carb Ice, 3) Better CHT management 4) Fuel economy

I get it. I struggled with temps from the day I installed a monitor. A friend helped me tune up my fuel flow in the carb and now my 0-520 (Pponk) has FI-like CHTs. For my engine the riddle of CHTs was resolved by increasing the available fuel flow and using the red knob as required. My own induction has never been an ice maker. Your 0-520 has 8.5-1 compression so the FI will be a good fit. With an STC you could dial up your max RPM to 2850 and enjoy 300hp for 5 minutes (legally). ;)

I have friends who've had the Bendix mod on 0-520s and they've liked it. My old buddy Crash had it on his 0-520 and it worked great. It was on his plane before he bought it but there's no question that was a good performing 180.

Last edited:
…..The reason most Pponk guys go with Bendix is to eliminate the added accumulator tank and fuel lines. Simpler all the way around. With that there's an old obscure STC but most guys go with field approval...…

Considering how much hassle people seem to have these days with getting a field approval
for something simple like 26" GY's on a C180,
which would really seem to be a no-brainer since it's been done SO many times before....
I don't even want to think about trying to get one for something like aftermarket fuel injection.

John Jewell don't sell FI STC anymore. Too expensive and too many parts etc, she said. Air Plains does it, but my stock engine is IO-520 F/TS and theirs is IO-520D. Their also Continental FI with header tank etc and very expensive and too much work.

Many people have done Bendix FI to O-520 and O-470. Basically, with PPonk, you are converting O-470 to O-520.

John Jewell don't sell FI STC anymore. Too expensive and too many parts etc, she said. Air Plains does it, but my stock engine is IO-520 F/TS and theirs is IO-520D. Their also Continental FI with header tank etc and very expensive and too much work.

Many people have done Bendix FI to O-520 and O-470. Basically, with PPonk, you are converting O-470 to O-520.
Next step would be to contact dgapilot on this site. Send him a PM. http://www.supercub.org/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=15970 He is a DAR and I believe that he is also in upstate NY. Talk to him about changing your engine back to it's original configuration. Changing it back would be a minor alteration per the Type certificate and parts manual. Then just add an aux fuel pump similar to a 185 and run the fuel return to the upper right doorpost area. That's where it was relocated to in my 185 as part of a different STC.

I suspect that the header tank requirement is related to fuel flow with low fuel in the mains and full power on the engine. If so, it may be possible to avoid the header by placarding a maximum except take off (METO) power setting. The limitation could also require a minimum amount of fuel in the tanks. There are ways to do this if you sit down and think with someone who knows the ropes. There are ways to game the system for a desired result. I don't believe that you would find any of my suggestions to be too restrictive in order to achieve your desired results.

skywagon8a , thank you for connecting me to dgapilot ! We are communicating. Texas Skyways is also communicating and cooperating.

What engine driven pump are you guys using with for the fuel injection system and what outlet pressures?

No idea what brand my mechanical pump is but when I asked Airflow Performance recently what my normal operating range should be for fuel pressure so I could enter it into my G3X I was told 20-50 psi.

What engine driven pump are you guys using with for the fuel injection system and what outlet pressures?
Need more information. What type of airplane do you have? Lycoming or Continental engine? Which model engine, all of the numbers? Does your engine use a geared pump or a diaphragm pump? Engine accessory cases are machined differently for different accessories and purposes. Some or all of your questions could be answered on the engine type certificate data which can be found on www.faa.gov

Need more information. What type of airplane do you have? Lycoming or Continental engine? Which model engine, all of the numbers? Does your engine use a geared pump or a diaphragm pump? Engine accessory cases are machined differently for different accessories and purposes. Some or all of your questions could be answered on the engine type certificate data which can be found on
This thread is about 180s and 182s installing the Bendix fuel injection system. These airplanes came from Cessna with Continental O470 engines. So, the question was directed to owners who had performed this mod and was trying to determine what mechanical pump was being used. Thanks for the link to the feds, but being an STC mod, the information is not going to be on a TCDS.

This thread is about 180s and 182s installing the Bendix fuel injection system. These airplanes came from Cessna with Continental O470 engines. So, the question was directed to owners who had performed this mod and was trying to determine what mechanical pump was being used. Thanks for the link to the feds, but being an STC mod, the information is not going to be on a TCDS.

It was an OLD ABANDONED STC. Had to do it by field approval using that as data. That was 2 decades ago. Or so was the one I did.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back