• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bendix Injection O-470

mghallen

Fairbanks
Seems to be a secret STC for this and STC for installation on a C180. I am not finding much doing a ssearch, so what is the poop on this mood?

Mike

I remember seeing a Bendix installation on an 50's 180 in the picture gallery of the 180/185 Club website a few years ago. Seems it was a mechanic up in Alaska that did it. Could it be BJ Airmotive or something like that? Just found this in 180/185 forum

10/16/2007 10:52 PM
spacer.gif

I'm in the process of doing the Bendix fuel inj. now. Will let you know when it all comes together. I'm looking forward of not having to run carb. heat this winter. I'm alittle anal about running egt's close together. It will cost close to $7,500 when done. As far as disadvantages I don't think it will start as quick and when you run out of gas it will be hard to get going again. I do think it will be more effient on fuel, I have a P-Ponk motor with 8.5 to 1 comp. and Lycon did the flow match on the cylinders.
9/21/2006 1:43 AM
spacer.gif

The STCs are SE1CE (engine) and SA108CE (airframe).

Last edited:
Somebody that went by MLJ did it and had pictures on the 180 club website.

5/31/2002 11:42 PM
spacer.gif

Bendix Fuel Injection Parts

2524054-11 Servo
2524232 Flow Divider
RG15980B1 Romec Fuel Pump
RB7756-2 Driver for fuel pump
4140-00-17 Dukes fuel pump 12 volt
2525864-2 Fuel injectors
EI/JPI/Shadin Fuel Flow

Fabricate the following

Spacer for air box, difference between carburetor and throttle body, plate to cover Continental fuel pump opening, injector lines, hoses, support for fuel pump

Mike there used to be an early 180 that parked in the mid pond "corner of the float pond at FAI with an injected O 470. Plane was orange and white with some black trim. I can't recall the owners name, and it's been a while, so don't know if it's still there. I'll bet one of the east ramp maintenance outfits could tell you about it.

MTV

Site member Crash's 180 has Bendix injection. It was on it when he got it but he'd have the paperwork. Send him a PM. I've known of a few guys that've gone that route but all were done through field approval.

Last edited:
Ok, I am curious ifanyone has had first hand info on this mod. I have the above STC numbers, but have not seen the paperwork to see what is involved or any restrictions on installlation. My understandi g is that the owner does ot support or aknowledge the STC.
Mike

Mike, Have you contacted the listed owner of the STC? Once you do, depending on what they say, you can then go to the FAA to request the information from their files. If the STC has been abandoned or not supported, the FAA is supposed to let you see the information. Your local FAA office can request the information from the holding office and can allow you to see it in the local office. The local FAA has done this for me.

Somebody that went by MLJ did it and had pictures on the 180 club website.

If the poster was from birchwood with a blue and yellow 180. It is Mike Petrie owner of MLJ his number is 688-0346. He should be able to help out on a STC or field approval.

OH BOY!!!
the only thing worse than hot starting a F.I. continental,
is hot starting an F.I. Lycoming! and that's basically what you r creating. I understand what u like about fuel injection. I know its all about technique and staying proficient (I can hot start either one).
but jeez I/d sure think twice about all that work (converting, and operating). sometimes simple is better:smile:

I did one over 15 years ago on a 0-470-50 pponk. He would be able to tell you how. Don't remember the paperwork, think BJ handled that part maybe......

Starting any Continental is easy. I have never ever had a problem, Lycoming makes me sick with frustration.Hate lycoming, and I have lots, and lots, and lots of starts. Mostly I am after a bit more power, ease of start, better fuel efficency. Does anyne have this engine? What are the restrictions or added limitations?
Mike

Starting any Continental is easy. I have never ever had a problem, Lycoming makes me sick with frustration.Hate lycoming, and I have lots, and lots, and lots of starts. Mostly I am after a bit more power, ease of start, better fuel efficency. Does anyne have this engine? What are the restrictions or added limitations?
Mike

As SB pointed out Crash has this on his 180 and is probably the closest to you to visit with. Outside of that I'd give Steve Knopp a call. He will be busy and hard to reach initially, but when you get ahold of him, he will give you all the time you need to answer your questions with straight forward and accurate answers. He has done these, and if I were after an injected sky wagon, this in conjunction with his less known O-550 is the way I'd go.

http://www.pponk.com

Take care, Rob

I think it's accurate to say that eliminating carb ice and improving temperature distribution are the primary advantages of the Bendix FI mod. I don't think it'll net a horsepower increase. The TCM IO-470 has higher compression than the 0-470. The 35hp difference between the two is attributed to that, not the fuel delivery. If the displacement, compression, RPM, and fuel consumption are equal? The power output will be essentially equal. Getting a big bore's carb to flow enough fuel can be frustrating. Add that to the attractiveness of Bendix FI. In my circle of friends and acquaintances the Bendix mod had more interest 10 or 15 years ago. I don't hear about it much these days, but there are some good carb guys tweaking carbs now.

The advantage of the Bendix FI over the Continental FI is that the airframe fuel system does not need to be modified. The Continental system requires a fuel return to the airframe fuel tank. The Bendix does not. It has been my experience that the Continental system is a bit easier for consistent starts. Even when familiar with both.

To expand upon stewartb's thoughts, The carburetor on the Cessna 180 engine is mounted at the firewall end of the engine. The fuel/air mixture is generated at this point, divided into two (equal or not?) portions which then travels along a constant diameter distribution system to the front of the engine. Along the way portions of the mixture is drawn into each cylinder. There is a smaller diameter cross tube at the front of the engine to balance the pressure in the two distribution paths. My question is this since these pipes are of constant diameter, does the same fuel/air mixture enter each cylinder? I think not. I would think that in order to have even mixture distribution the pipes should be reduced in diameter (tuned) as it passes each cylinder along the way. I am assuming that the cylinders would all be operating at different mixture ratios? Thus different temperature and efficiencies. With all of this in mind, I would think that a Bendix FI mod would be beneficial to fuel consumption rate and cylinder longevity. The Bendix fuel servo could be coupled with the IO-470 or IO-520/550 fuel distribution components.

If I had a 180 I would be tempted to make this mod. Mike, please keep us informed as to your final conclusions. I, for one, am curious about your findings.

Well so far I have spoken with two folks, both have had or installed a Bendix injection. Very positive comment. I have just TV hung a 470R back on my plane, so I am now 2 years out from doing this mod, if it can still be done.

My 2 cents...I had a PPonk in an L-19 Bird Dog, and we could never get enough fuel to all the cylinders at once, even after a lot of carb mods. It ate up valves, slowly, but surely. Injection sounds like a darn good idea. The MA4-5 is great on an O-360 but a bit short for a PPONK. (Mine was a 520) The old pressure carbs on Bird Dogs were expensive but they ran a bit better, and more efficient than those converted to float carb, And you lose the carb ice problem. People complained they didn't always idle well, but I could live with that as I don't spend a lot of time at idle.

I put one on my 180J P-Ponk motor 5 yrs ago and no regrets. When I had Steve build me up a motor and told him to put the gears in for the fuel pump. Bought Bendix parts from D&G supply and Bob up in alaska did the 337 for install, had local shop do install. I had a carb on for bout 50 hrs and did the switch, egt's run 30-50 degree spread instead of 150, fuel consumption down a little and no carb ice. Priceless

RSA Fuel Injection STC for C180/182

I put one on my 180J P-Ponk motor 5 yrs ago and no regrets. When I had Steve build me up a motor and told him to put the gears in for the fuel pump. Bought Bendix parts from D&G supply and Bob up in alaska did the 337 for install, had local shop do install. I had a carb on for bout 50 hrs and did the switch, egt's run 30-50 degree spread instead of 150, fuel consumption down a little and no carb ice. Priceless

Update with some additional information. I spoke with Russ at D&G and have also spoken with Fred Dyen who used to be with the A&P program at UAF. Fred performed this modification on a few airplanes in Fairbanks. I have spoken to the owner of one of those planes and he is quite happy. I have attached some of the information I have been able to dig up for those of you who might be interested. At this point i am waiting on a response from Peter at Precision, with any luck at all this project will move forward for me in the not to distant future.

Dale

Attachments

• C-180 Airframe Supplemental Type Certificate.pdf
    106.5 KB · Views: 462
  • Engine Fuel Injection Supplemental Type Certificate.pdf
    107 KB · Views: 462
  • Cessna 180 Bendix Fuel Metering Systems FAA Form 337 _Field Approvals_.pdf
    125.7 KB · Views: 671
  • Russel Romey @ D&G Correspondence.pdf
    76.1 KB · Views: 342
Update with some additional information. I spoke with Russ at D&G and have also spoken with Fred Dyen who used to be with the A&P program at UAF. Fred performed this modification on a few airplanes in Fairbanks. I have spoken to the owner of one of those planes and he is quite happy. I have attached some of the information I have been able to dig up for those of you who might be interested. At this point i am waiting on a response from Peter at Precision, with any luck at all this project will move forward for me in the not to distant future.

Dale

Where is Fred Dyen located these days? Fred did a number of these kinds of mods, most of which worked really well.

MTV

Where is Fred Dyen located these days? Fred did a number of these kinds of mods, most of which worked really well.

MTV

Blue Ridge Community College
Weyers Cave, Virginia

He is an AMT professor there. He was a lot of help in tracking a bunch of this down.

I was asked to move an older C 180 on 2870s from Willow Lake to Lake hood one time and the guy that droped me off(not the actual owner) says, oh by the way This plane is injected, and and then drove off, I didnt think much about it at the time, but wondered if it just had maybe
Someone had stuck a 185 engine in it?? So when I opened it up it rocketed up onto the step even though it was a very hot day for Alaska, plane had a seaplane prop and it was turing it up almost 2800 and sounded pretty much like a 185, climbed out like one too. Anyway I was fairly convinced it was just that. However the guy that came down to pick me up in Anchorage was a personal friend of the actual owner,
And he imeadiatly says hows that old 180 perform? And I responded about the best one I think I ever flew, so I asked him what engine is actually in there? He told me an IO470! So of course I asked is that legal, and he laughed and says "I dont think so........... but it sure works good dont it?" Nice outfit, Cessna should have offered it in those early lightweight 180s and just called it a "Deluxe" before they called it a 185!

Turbo

That performance description is really encouraging to hear. With any luck this mod will be compete on mine, just in time for float season this year. Once complete I will get a pirep out. most of all I am just hoping for more even cylinder temps, no carb ice and a slight improvement in fuel economy. More to come.

Dale

Dale,
Well good luck with it , I think that 180 was either a 62/63 Model and they are still pretty LIGHT airplanes, with that motor it flew like a 56, on the controls but had outradious power with that engine, I think your going to be very pleased with it if your airplane isn't HEAVY, I have a couple of friends with the carbureted 185 engines in them that are later 180s that are much heavier airplanes and they go good to. But not like that combo of a pre 64 airframe and the injected engine! Very very nice outfit. Of course being on 2870 floats didn't hurt either.................

Back