• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna H.D. nose fork vs AirGlas fork on C-172??

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
I have the tiny fork with the 500 tire on my spam-can 172N.
During the winter and spring thaw I keep getting stuck around here. ( On floats all summer)

I have a lead on a Cessna H.D. fork which will for sure take a 600 tire and maybe a 700. ( I have a set of 800s in my basement for the mains.
But,,, I am concerned that I may never get a H.D. fork approved via field approval. ( although they were approved on the military C-172s under a different type cert.)

The other option is to bite the bullet and buy a Landis (Airglas) large fork and stc. Then I could use 800 or 850s all the way around. For about twice the money as the HD fork.

Does anyone know if there is a big weight difference between the two types of forks?

From experiance I have flown lots of 206 s with big fork and tires . works good. have a M-skyhawk but not big fork and tires . Mounting for a skyhawk and 206 are quite dif how does that effect the useabilitly and strenght.

I went with the Cessna Heavy Duty Nose fork. It fits onto any Cessna nose strut. It was an option for many models of C-172s, C-175s and military T-41s.
I have a 700x6 tire with the large axle installed on the nose as well. It was not a major process at all.
Since my serial number was not on the list for optional installation, I needed a field approval. That was not a big deal either.

Back