• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Project Javron Super Cub

wdoubleday

Hello Folks,

I just wanted to introduce myself on this forum as a builder of a new project, a Javron SC. After much searching for the ideal plane for backcountry flying, and buying some plans for a Bearhawk Patrol, I called Jay at Javron and discussed what it would take to build up a SC. I asked about the Bearhawk vs the SC, and his comment was there are no backcountry strips that say 'only for a Patrol'. He's not biased in the least! I mentioned to him that I was going to buy a notched SC tubing kit from Cartesian Tubing, and he said he could tack weld a fuselage up for me at only a slightly higher cost. After he answered more of my novice questions, I was sold and asked him to put in line for a widebody SC (I'm 6'3" 250 lbs). In the meantime, I went out to buy myself a Miller Diversion 180 and proceeded to try my hand at TIG welding, figuring I know how to gas weld pretty good (Pitts and Skybolt fuselages). Sure, after some practice I'll be able to zip around all those tacked joints no problem. Well, after one of the most frustrating weekends of what I'll just call melting metal with the TIG torch and shocking myself, and constantly grinding the electrode, I gave Jay a call first thing Monday morning to ask "say, how long would it take to weld up all of the clusters?"
Well, at the end of it Jay's shop welded all of the clusters and welded on all of the fittings that require a jig to hold in place. What was left for me to do, which he figured was harmless for me and my budding TIG skills, were the tabs, fairleads, pulley brackets, floor brackets, window and door, rear deck formers and a front seat kit. For anyone who wants to do some building on a SC, I can highly recommend this approach. On my past projects, I spent more time building jigs for a fuselage than the actual build time of the plane itself, so this way saves you gobs of time, and you do save some money from buying a completed fuselage.

After about three months, I've gotten all of the fittings welded on and am starting to attach the window frames and build up the front seat. I did fly out to see Jay and his shop. He was very accommodating and told me to make myself at home and take whatever pictures I wanted. I can't tell you how much this helped to photograph a fully completed fuselage. I refer to those photos more than I do the Northland drawings. Jay was also kind enough to allow me to crawl all over a fuselage he brought to Oshkosh this year. Needless to say, many folks were very interested in his kits and I hope he got some good business out of it.

I just wanted to give a shout-out to Jay DeRosier and also Bill Rusk who I had the pleasure to meet and listen to him at Oshkosh this year. Both have been a great help for my project, and I dare say I'll be bending their ears in the future.

I'll post some pictures next week on my project if anyone is interested. For now, back to TIG welding and to 'be at one with the puddle" - yeah, right!

Wendel

Wendel,

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your project! You are building the Super Cub kit I plan to purchase one day in the future when funds allow. If you are able to, in between welding, I would definitely like to see some pictures of the project at different steps along way.

V/R

Adam

Last edited:
I did the same thing you are doing. Jay has very high respect for his customers and is willing to share his knowledge with you. Take a look at the link below to my web site. I haven't work on it much this summer to much going on.

Hi Wendel
I've been a long time lurker on this forum and I'm most interested in seeing your pics and progress. I too am considering a Javron Cub so your posts will be of great interest to me.
Good luck with your project !!

Bob

Back