• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2014 Hunting/Fishing Thread

55-PA18A

SPONSOR
Dillingham, Alaska
I saw a request to start a 2014 Hunting thread, and since it is August 2014 sure made sense to me. So,…here we go. Thought I would add fishing, as a number of the great photos in the 2013 Hunting thread were of fishing.

Jim Woolington
Dillingham, Alaska

Silver salmon fishing on the Nushagak River this August 2014:
IMG_0999.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    886.7 KB · Views: 406
Maybe I'll get lucky and have something to post , flying my plane to Alaska to hunt in about 10 days.
Doug

Stone Sheep hunt with son-in-law his first sheep hunt and he gets a book ramSheep 2014.jpg

Attachments

• Sheep 2014.jpg
    Sheep 2014.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    763.5 KB · Views: 274
Life is Good - so is sheep huntin!!!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    645.2 KB · Views: 321
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    633.7 KB · Views: 329
IMG_0184.jpg

My son and I on the right with our fishing partners when we go north to fish. Third week of August 2014.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 317
I was hunting blue berries... and all my pack board would hold(Volume wise) was 18.4 Lbs.. not bad for 2 1/2 hours picking :) need to go back for another load...

10583886_622355364544660_7095679786632785826_n.jpg

10410195_621813321265531_5713085010304427128_n.jpg

Mike, Looks like an outstanding harvest. Did you see any large critters in the area, there hungry too?

It's not the fishing most you all do, but this is where the 'drifter' part of my username comes from.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 185
Rams above the clouds, knee deep in blueberries and salmon. Damn what a life you guys have. Envious

Did 8800 miles from MN to AK and places in between the past few weeks. Took very few photos due to burnout. Fished and berry picked and saw 33 bears but not a single moose. Very odd. This is my 5th drive up the highway. Will not do it again. Despite the pleasure of my "new to me" used Dodge Cummins that never missed a beat, the traffic took the fun out of what I remembered as a scenic drive. Commercial vehicle traffic from Minot through the Battlefords and Lloydminister up into Edmonton and then Grande Prairie to Ft. Nelson a single long convoy of semis. Maybe I hit it at a bad time but saw 2 fatal accidents and numerous others. Being at the top of your game required to not get involved in the carnage. The economy is booming. Pass a piss test and you are making serious coin $$. Glad to see the oil and gas boom but I will fly commercial and rent next go around. Had about 5 hours construction delays each way. Short window to fix roads but the pressure has increased to the point that I look forward to gravel roads vs. the pavement breaks.

Last edited:
image.jpgSome small halibut 24 rockfish and a lingcod I brought up with a rockfish. It had the rockfish half way in its mouth never hocked just gaffed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 322
Scout Sorry that was the company I work for. And yes we have a short 6 month season to get done things done normally working 7-12's some are double shifting.

The construction on the Parks at Wasilla if you were there wasn't anything. East of Tok a little bit happening. South of Dawson City and North of Ft. Nelson were the snags. Hope you have a long fall to finish what was started.

I saw the chicken sign in your picture we have a job there. Up and down the parks north end of wasilla by mp120 and Healy maybe one more. Unfortunately we've lost 140 mil in town so I'm only working part time 60-70hrs a week. They'll get it done it might be a 2 year job I've been on runway jobs at international getting 50mil done in 6 months. Those you don't go over on its a 50k a day fine for going over on those.

They were chip sealing the McCarthy road. Couldn't believe that one. Maybe out 15-20 miles this year. Not sure I would be for it had I a vote

From what I saw on the news most of the people there didn't want it. Most people would be shocked how many millions of dollars is wasted on these jobs. The engineers get paid to design it then get paid to fix there mistakes. The contractors get paid to do it wrong then get paid time and materials to fix it. We did a runway in a small village since it was federally funded it had to meet faa standards with lighting and all. Instead of improving 5-10 runways making them safer for the same money only one gets done.

image.jpgA bull the brother in-law got last week up by Eureka. Some of the other in-laws got another moose and a couple caribou. A good start so far this season now I just need to find time to go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 378
King Salmon fish camp 2014

Attachments

• 20140824_211411.jpg
    20140824_211411.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 20140825_091307.jpg
    20140825_091307.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 20140825_124600.jpg
    20140825_124600.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20140824_172725_398.jpg
    IMG_20140824_172725_398.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 194
Turkey season opened September 1st and rifles are legal in the fall now. So I got out my favorite small game rifle - the .17 HM2, the long rifle version .17.

IMG_0234.jpg

I was by myself and couldn't figure out how to do a selfie.

Same rifle with a plump rock chuck earlier in the year. They're real pests when they start living around buildings.

IMG_1459.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1459.jpg
    IMG_1459.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 233
Spinner, I presume you shot this Turkey in Montana. Question how many can a resident hunter take during the Fall season?

Jon

Spinner, I presume you shot this Turkey in Montana. Question how many can a resident hunter take during the Fall season?

Jon

Two. Two that is if you haven't already shot one in the spring. And only one can be a Tom. We have a growing turkey population and the harvest is becoming more liberal. This is the first year for a fall rifle season in our area.

The regs are different on the east side of the mountains and I'm not up on changes there - if any.

My fall exercise program has started. Jack and I walked 6 miles for 3 flushes. Only got one for the first outing but one was just enough. A beautiful heavy mature bird. Ruffed Grouse in gravy poured on fresh garden potatoes was supper.

From Scout88305's Post #12: "Rams above the clouds, knee deep in blueberries and salmon. Damn what a life you guys have. Envious."

Man,…you haven't got a lot to complain about. Plus, you have Jack to take care of you. Ruffed grouse and gravy on new potatoes,…yumm.

First duck hunt of this year, near Nushagak Bay:
IMG_1040.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 248
What kinda ducks are those? Not many bugs on that pretty Cub. Bugs must of took a hit with cold wx.

What kinda ducks are those? Not many bugs on that pretty Cub. Bugs must of took a hit with cold wx.

They're mostly pintails, a couple scaup, and one widgeon. This time of the year, they're mostly just "brown ducks". With all the young birds, it's still pretty difficult to tell the male and female pintails apart from any distance. We saw a couple mallards and one flight of teal, but didn't get a chance at any. Two tundra swans were flying by just before we got the decoys out. I think they would have come in if we had been set up. There's a registration hunt here in Game Management Unit 17, with a season bag limit of 3 swans.

The rain has pretty much kept the bugs washed off the plane. We haven't had any cold weather yet, just lots of wind and rain. We were out moose hunting, but heard a storm was coming. Flew back in to town just in time to sit out a blow, then got out for a day of duck hunting during a break in the weather.

Jim W
IMG_1033.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 188
I hunted what I call the Packard Homestead today. I researched an emblem on one of the 4 car bodies at this old boondocks location and the folks must of had a thing for Packards. There is a hunting shack miles from here with a cool old chrome bumper that says Packard in red nailed above the door. I now know where it came from. No idea how they lived and made it back here with 2 wheel drive cars as it's a bitch even now with a 4 wheeler and a pair of Xtra Tuffs's. Looking at the old tub style washing machine as I swatted mosquito's makes one realize how tough people had to be back in the day. Been hot and buggy for late Sept here. Bird numbers a little low but that's just the cycle of life. Jack got up a beautiful old brown phase and it was meant to be. Ended up with two in the vest and left some for seed. Hoping for a cool down for the dogs sake.

Movie

Last edited:
Nice Nothern Pike at Cree Lake in Northern Saskatchewan. Terrific Flyin location!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 148
Back