• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How Far Do You Drive to Get to Airport?

Jasperfield

NC
For those of you who don't keep your airplane at home; How far do you have to drive to get to the airport, and/or how long does your trip take?

I'm thinking of moving closer to my airport as I'm driving 55 miles and it takes 80 minutes.

I just walk outside..... But I have to drive 15 miles to work... Always a trade off

Being close to the hangar is the BEST.

The EAA did an informal study and found that the further you are from your Homebuilt airplane the lower the completion rate. The guys doing it in their garage had the highest completion rate, and those more than 1/2 hour away had a very low success rate.

Food for thought

Bill

10 minutes to the hangar for me, and 10 minutes to the golf course for the wife.

About a mile. There is a bike trail that goes by the golf course and through the little state park that is next to the airport. Pretty handy. Sometimes I ride my bike out there two or three times a day.

Two min from the new place we're building. Just over an hour from my existing house. I can land at the house but the horses disapprove, break thru the fence and run off. So I don't do that anymore unless they're penned up!

11 minutes. Fly every day. Soon I have to fix the Port-A-Port leaks. The Nunno never leaks.

I spend more in gas back and forth than I do in the Cub.

22 miles, 30 min. Still managed to complete one build and nearing completion of 2nd. No heat in hangar so most work is done when I can ride motorcycle.

Hangar is only $50/month which helps w/gas surcharge of driving........

10 km (6 miles) or about 8 minutes. Im one of the lucky ones: short trip to the airport AND a garage next to the house where Im building my cub.

3 1/2 miles. But it's a dangerous trek, gotta go right by SteveE's aerodrome!

Last edited:
Six miles on two-lane roads, about 15 minutes. Even that close, I'd rather be on an airpark, with a hangar attached to my house.

Anne.

35 minutes to my hangar at KBUY. When I restored my J-3 in late 2007 through 2009, I was working 30 miles in the opposite direction. I put 100,000 miles on my 4Runner in 2 years. Worked on the Cub almost daily, and spent a fortune on gas. Now with a shop at my house, I don't think I would ever restore one again having to drive that much. The EAA is right about completion and distance from the project.

Chapel Hill has an airport in town- 10 minutes away from my house, but without private hangars. I based there in a community hangar before I restored my airplane, and flew 200+ hours a year.

2 miles by road, 1/4 mile by 4 wheeler... I do try to take Kirby out when I go by road.....

2.4 miles, 8 minutes

I moved to another airport near my work which was 15 minutes away for about 6 months - it sucked - so I'm now back home where I belong - I rent a hangar from the city but if I hit the lotto I'm thinking of building my own hangar - unless I can find a nice piece of land under 30 minutes away which is not likely

I can see the airport 2.5 miles away, but you can't get there from here.....takes 18+ minutes to drive.

Back