• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Last "Flight of Passage" Dual Signed book to go on eBay for Charity

nesincg

BENEFACTOR
Chattanooga, TN (KAPT)
Help us reach our goal as we continue to raise money for charity.
IMG_20140804_061512621.jpgIMG_20140804_061535597.jpgIMG_20140804_061518437.jpg

When Rinker and Kern graciously sent us off on our journey, they dual signed a bunch of books for us. Those sold out VERY fast to Supercub.org members (yet another membership benefit). All the profit from those books went to our charity – The Austin Hatcher Foundation.

So when I got home from our trip, I realized that we had one last treasure. We have a dual signed book that has a bit of wear because it went the entire trip in our map pocket instead of my own hard back book. I would take it out at every stop to show people and journalists pictures and references from the book. You will not find another dual signed book that went the length of the actual journey in the actual plane. It should be a treasure for a book collector and a fan of the story.

We have raised $2800 out of the $10,000 goal that we had hoped to raise. Since I'm not good at asking for money, I will be offering up this book on eBay in about a month, once I figure out how to do it. I'm hoping by waiting this long it will generate more buzz. 100% of the payment of this book will go directly to our charity.

Options on the winning bid:
- April and I can also sign the book
- I can include a small piece of the actual plane that was removed for repair
- I can include a small piece of the fabric removed from the plane
- I will throw in a free ride in 71H but you must meet up with the plane. I won't fly it to you.

On a side note: I want to personally thank everyone that has donated to our charity thus far. We hope to send out cards soon. To see more about the foundation or to make a tax deductible donation outside of this auction, please visit: http://www.hatcherfoundation.org/flightofpassage/

Disclaimer: My wife April is employed by the Austin Hatcher Foundation. This fund raising has no bearing on her job security, nor were we required to do so. They are simply a great cause for which we believe worth raising money and awareness.

Chris and April

Attachments

• IMG_20140804_061512621.jpg
    IMG_20140804_061512621.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_20140804_061535597.jpg
    IMG_20140804_061535597.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_20140804_061518437.jpg
    IMG_20140804_061518437.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 286
Awesome Chris.

Please let us know when it actually hits eBay!

Thanks for all the two of you have done and continue to do. You are both true ambassadors to aviation.....the best kind I might add.

cafi

I was mostly delaying the listing of the book until after a great story was published in Plane and Pilot. The author, who loves the book and also who's life has also been touched by childhood cancer, wrote a wonderful piece. Unfortunately it didn't make the print version but did come out online recently.

So I worked for a few hours tonight dressing up the listing on ebay. All the proceeds go directly to the Austin Hatcher Foundation. They don't even pass through my greedy little hands. It goes straight from Paypal to the Foundation.

I did put a reserve on it as it might be worth more to me and I'll just donate to the foundation the reserve price if it doesn't win and keep the book.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flight-of-P...r-Buck-Special-Dual-Signed-Copy-/131292456452

Last edited:
I am not wild about the book, but at a glance, the foundation itself looks like a very worthwhile operation.

My first Cub transcontinental flight (Manassas to San Diego) was in early Spring 1967, and I promise you it was nothing like the Rinker brothers trip. El Paso was a breeze, and even back then I would not think of buzzing a Greyhound bus. It was an uneventful flight with 65 hp and 12 gallons, plus two sleeping bags. Got a lot of free gas, met some really nice folks.

My niece is a newly minted pediatric oncologist. I know little else about the field, except that she seems quite happy to be out of Sloan-Kettering. Kids are the future; they need all the help they can get.

Last edited:
Awesome article Chris. Congratulations on all that you have accomplished. I hope you can raise some more for Austin Hatcher! It is so worthy a cause!

cafi

Back