• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ADS-B Mandate

Is the IRS really qualified? Evidence would suggest otherwise.....

A little old (2003): "IRS centers established to help people prepare their tax returns gave incorrect answers - or no answer at all - to 43 percent of the questions asked by Treasury Department investigators posing as taxpayers."

I just got FAA's notice about the April fools joke being a hoax.

But what I noticed was this sentence, "Only aircraft that fly in uncontrolled airspace, and aircraft without electrical systems, such as balloons and gliders, are exempt from the mandate"

I have not seen the exception worded that way before.
This kind of opens things up that even with an engine driven charging system on can fly without ADS-B Out.
Thoughts, comments?

All flying objects will eventually require ads-b....it is getting very miniaturized and made cheaper to adapt to drones, plan on it, even if you have to recharge a battery.

Look at the Ping line of options from UAvionix, amazingly small. I’d love to put one on the ultralight to show up a little better but it’s not allowed yet.

... what I noticed was this sentence, "Only aircraft that fly in uncontrolled airspace, and aircraft without electrical systems, such as balloons and gliders, are exempt from the mandate". I have not seen the exception worded that way before. This kind of opens things up that even with an engine driven charging system on can fly without ADS-B Out. Thoughts, comments?

If you stay out of class A, B, or C airspace, as well as any of the thirty or so 30NM radius "mode C veils" in the country, you will not have to have ADS-B. At least for now. 10 or 20 years from now, who knows?
Basically where you do NOT have to have a transponder now, you will not need to have SDS-B in 2020.
A lot of people got their feathers in a ruffle about SDS-B who in general aren't necessarily affected by the mandate.

Last edited:
I think I heard once that Alaska mosquitos were required to carry mode S transponders.....do they have to upgrade to ADS-B?

Tailbeacon is now TSO'd!

Where'd you hear this?
I have one "pre-ordered" from uAvionix and haven;'t heard anything from them in a couple months.
Just googled it, didn't see a news release,
and their website still indicates that TSO is pending.

I received an email from them this morning!

sj

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 237
Yes, a buddy of mine also got that email from them & forwarded it to me.
I placed a "pre-order" for a tailbeacon six months ago,
kinda surprised (and disappointed) that they didn't send me one.
There's also an online news release:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://uavionix.com/uavionix-receives-tso-package-for-tailbeacon-ads-b-out-solution/[/FONT]

Sandia STX360
Has anyone installed a Sandia STX360 or heard anything good or bad about it? When compared to other options the $3200 price for a transponder/ADS-B out/in all in one unit seems reasonable. Sandia does make nice avionics. They are just not a big high volume name like Garmin. Air Spruce says that it is on indefinite back order. In my mind that is not a good sign. Does that mean that the company is not producing or that it doesn't sell well for some reason?
http://sandia.aero/product/stx-360-sentinel/

If no one buys my 185 before the end of the year it will need something or be grounded since we live under a class B.

Back