• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Temp High

nesincg

BENEFACTOR
Chattanooga, TN (KAPT)
When we built the baffling I decided not to add the oil screen cooler as I think that just fools the temp probe that the oil is cooler. I can't find it right now but someone did a thread where they put the oil probe somewhere else. I'm running right at redline here in the desert and two questions.

1. Can I do anything to run cooler? I have put the mixture in different positions and that doesn't seem to help much.

2. Will it damage the engine to run it just below redline for an hour at a time?

We are having to stop by 11 and sit in the FBO for hours.
SAM_0057.jpg

Attachments

• SAM_0057.jpg
    SAM_0057.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 327
Just an FYI. Tom Ford has a full on oil cooler and he is running pretty darn high too.

Looks like you still have good oil pressure. You're not going to hurt the engine. If you have sufficient HP to get up to higher altitudes where it's cooler (probably 8500' or higher) the temp will eventually drop down a bit once you are in cruise, but it may not be worth the climb. Keep running the engine lean. Running rich will put extra fuel through it (while crapping up your plugs and oil) and cool the CHTs a few degrees, but won't make much of a difference to your oil temp.

Keep enjoying the trip. Wish I had the time. I would have flown down to Deming to meet you guys this morning. Let me know if you travel a bit farther north on the return trip. I've always got hangar space for at least 1 plane and would love to fly along with you for a bit.

-CubBuilder.

Last edited:
Chris 200 is not that high, My 4 is at 210 when ever it's above 85F with W100. The 0200 Pa11 I learned to fly in was 225F all summer

Glenn

I have over 200 STC'd oil coolers sold because of high oil temps in the small continentals.... That being said, the system is not for everyone. But it does work.

Brian

I was going to say....mounting the oil filter adapter on my old C-85 dropped the oil temp a bit....

Air Wolf makes a remote oil filter that will work with a -8.... It is way more expensive than the F&M, but it does work with the oil cooler STC... My STC calls for any approve oil filter system, it is not regulated to just the F&M....

Brian

What Oil do you have in your engine? Shell says that with multigrade oil (15W50) the engine runs in most cases cooler.

From the Shell Homepage:

Will my oil temperature be higher or lower with a multigrade?

In most cases, the multigrade oil will run cooler. For a hot-running engine, like turbocharged, high performance or aerobatic aircraft engines, this is good, but for a cool-running engine it can be a disadvantage. If the engine runs too cool, it can't boil off excess moisture and unburned fuel, so there can be a tendency to form acid buildup. For cooler-running engines, pilots should use a winterizing kit, or check with their mechanics on how to keep oil temperature up.

... just an idea ...

I think your redline is wrong, 200 degrees on a C90-8? I will look. There is no diverter plate to install the oil cooler on Chris' engine. Like someone else said, your oil pressure is good, fly it.

To solve the high oil temp issue in our L-2 with an 85-8, dad made a shroud that covers the front of the oil tank and 2 blast tubes that come from the nose bowl. We are here in Florida and the oil temp became a problem in the summers.

It appears that the oil temp/pressure gauge is marked for an A series engine rather than the C-90-8. (note the oil pressure red line at 40 rather than 60 psi.) That would make the oil temp red line on the gauge (where the needle is pointing) 215. I read the large black mark to the left of the needle as 200. However the C series engine has the red line at 225, so you are actually 10 below red line. The O-200 in my other plane typically runs at 215-220 during the summer months here in NM. Been doing that for a lot of years. I have never observed any issues related to oil temp.

-CubBuilder

Back