Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: How Not To Do It

  1. #1
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,638
    Post Thanks / Like

    How Not To Do It

    I see a lot of stuff done incorrectly for what ever reason and thought it might be an informative thread to see what kinds of things people find so that others won't make the same mistakes.

    This is an oil pressure line run from the right side of the firewall to the engine. Great idea, shorter run etc. however you now have to disconnect it when you swing the engine for normal maintenance. It is also in the way of getting the engine mount bolt back in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140617_160731.jpg 
Views:	2532 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	16193
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  2. #2
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those holes drilled in the exhaust pipe to muffle should be through both pieces to retain them. Some folks in Florida got killed several years ago when someone used a hose clamp instead of the proper exhaust clamp with the tit in it.
    Never seen the hole in the slot before, probably not gonna work too well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140617_160717.jpg 
Views:	2442 
Size:	895.8 KB 
ID:	16194
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks Philly5G, flylowslow thanked for this post
    Likes Philly5G liked this post

  3. #3
    SJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Kansas City, USA
    Posts
    15,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff, Steve!

    sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

  4. #4
    behindpropellers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    6,794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I see a lot of stuff done incorrectly for what ever reason and thought it might be an informative thread to see what kinds of things people find so that others won't make the same mistakes.

    This is an oil pressure line run from the right side of the firewall to the engine. Great idea, shorter run etc. however you now have to disconnect it when you swing the engine for normal maintenance. It is also in the way of getting the engine mount bolt back in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140617_160731.jpg 
Views:	2532 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	16193
    The other thing that is wrong with this picture is that there is no loop in the oil line to absorb shock from the engine vibrating on the mount.
    Thanks pfm thanked for this post

  5. #5
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    No loop needed with the flex line. Originally Piper did it like this except they used cooper tubing instead of aluminum. This way it swings with the engine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3072.JPG 
Views:	2236 
Size:	515.9 KB 
ID:	16199
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks Philly5G thanked for this post
    Likes Philly5G liked this post

  6. #6
    RaisedByWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,037
    Post Thanks / Like
    Small continental exhaust nuts


    Little washer side of it goes up to the exhaust
    Thanks Philly5G thanked for this post
    Likes Philly5G liked this post

  7. #7
    Cub junkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    My Moms basement
    Posts
    2,106
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use those small Continental brass exhaust nuts on Harley Davidson Evolution engines. I also use them on small Continental engines.

  8. #8
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    10,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub junkie View Post
    I use those small Continental brass exhaust nuts on Harley Davidson Evolution engines. I also use them on small Continental engines.
    I'm trying the long ones on my experimental I0-360 Cub. The long ones cover all the stud threads, which should prevent the studs from eroding outside the nuts as they normally do. The DAR questioned them and liked my idea.
    N1PA
    Thanks Philly5G thanked for this post
    Likes Philly5G liked this post

  9. #9
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 10-32 machine screws that hold the fuel tank covers to the leading edge and false spar are supposed to only be 1/2" long so they don't damage the spar cap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140702_151402.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	713.5 KB 
ID:	16438

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140702_151352.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	755.8 KB 
ID:	16439
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks Philly5G thanked for this post

  10. #10
    moneyburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    979
    Post Thanks / Like
    This muffler made it through two annual inspections by two different shops, and I mentioned to both that I was getting exhaust in the cabin. The cracks are right where the hose for the cabin heat exits, 180 degrees from the seam in the shroud, pretty hard to get to. So, even with good mechanics, things get missed. We fixed everything else it could have been, but sometimes the most obvious solution is the correct one.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2900.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	740.8 KB 
ID:	16440
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    Thanks Philly5G thanked for this post
    Likes Philly5G liked this post

  11. #11
    Aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Canada (Legally)
    Posts
    1,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    The 10-32 machine screws that hold the fuel tank covers to the leading edge and false spar are supposed to only be 1/2" long so they don't damage the spar cap.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140702_151402.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	713.5 KB 
ID:	16438

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140702_151352.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	755.8 KB 
ID:	16439
    The big question is, what to do if you do find such marring? Should I be affraid to pull the screws and look?

  12. #12
    Aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Canada (Legally)
    Posts
    1,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moneyburner View Post
    This muffler made it through two annual inspections by two different shops, and I mentioned to both that I was getting exhaust in the cabin. The cracks are right where the hose for the cabin heat exits, 180 degrees from the seam in the shroud, pretty hard to get to. So, even with good mechanics, things get missed. We fixed everything else it could have been, but sometimes the most obvious solution is the correct one.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2900.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	740.8 KB 
ID:	16440
    You were lucky. It could have been worse. http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?20658-URGENT-!&highlight=muffler+split

  13. #13
    moneyburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Yup, that's my thinking. Lucky as hell. Those little CO cards work, and if one is telling you there is a problem, believe it. I thought it was faulty or old or something, and that could have been it for me. Kept the window cracked and the heat wasn't being used, but I was still getting some bad air, just failing to believe it.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    Thanks Philly5G thanked for this post
    Likes Philly5G liked this post

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    England
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Those holes drilled in the exhaust pipe to muffle should be through both pieces to retain them. Some folks in Florida got killed several years ago when someone used a hose clamp instead of the proper exhaust clamp with the tit in it.
    Never seen the hole in the slot before, probably not gonna work too well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140617_160717.jpg 
Views:	2442 
Size:	895.8 KB 
ID:	16194
    Wow, thanks for this Steve!! Not quite sure what an exhaust clamp with a tit in it looks like, could you put up a photo of one please? I'd like to compare it against the ones I've got. Thanks!!
    Every day's a school day

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    England
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moneyburner View Post
    This muffler made it through two annual inspections by two different shops, and I mentioned to both that I was getting exhaust in the cabin. The cracks are right where the hose for the cabin heat exits, 180 degrees from the seam in the shroud, pretty hard to get to. So, even with good mechanics, things get missed. We fixed everything else it could have been, but sometimes the most obvious solution is the correct one.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2900.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	740.8 KB 
ID:	16440
    Just to confirm I'm seeing this right, is the crack running along the top of the tube towards the mid right and angling up from left to right?
    Every day's a school day

  16. #16
    fancypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    372
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly5G View Post
    Wow, thanks for this Steve!! Not quite sure what an exhaust clamp with a tit in it looks like, could you put up a photo of one please? I'd like to compare it against the ones I've got. Thanks!!
    Something like this:
    https://www.univair.com/piper/parts/...0-piper-clamp/
    Thanks Steve Pierce, Philly5G thanked for this post
    Likes Philly5G liked this post

  17. #17
    moneyburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly5G View Post
    Just to confirm I'm seeing this right, is the crack running along the top of the tube towards the mid right and angling up from left to right?
    It runs in the same direction as the flow aligned with the screw hole in the flange, starts about 1/2" to the left of the flange weld. There is also a diagonal crack branching off from it about a third of the way to the right. It's worse than the photo shows - it's open about 1/8" and the inside of the muffler can be seen through the crack.
    Sorry for the poor quality photo.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    England
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moneyburner View Post
    It runs in the same direction as the flow aligned with the screw hole in the flange, starts about 1/2" to the left of the flange weld. There is also a diagonal crack branching off from it about a third of the way to the right. It's worse than the photo shows - it's open about 1/8" and the inside of the muffler can be seen through the crack.
    Sorry for the poor quality photo.
    WOW and thank you!!! Yes, that’s the line I was looking at, although it looks nowhere near 1/8” wide!!!

    If I needed convincing, that’s further convinced me to wrestle the muffler and heat shroud off and out and check the muffler every x hours!!!

    Thank you

    Philly
    Every day's a school day

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Illinois & Wisconsin
    Posts
    703
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pix in post #5 makes me appreciate the long mount on my PA12.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    England
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heinrich View Post
    The pix in post #5 makes me appreciate the long mount on my PA12.
    Ha ha!!! Really good point!! Me too, now you mention it!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D9EA4ACD-260E-4F56-8819-39548BB009F6.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	49426
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7BCF1DB5-3876-42F1-BBE7-2594BB94AD2F.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	49425  
    Every day's a school day

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    So how did those folks in Florida die? I have had exhaust systems crack and/or fall off, and usually a precautionary landing, followed by a trip to the welder, saves the day.

    I have not figured out how to get the muffler off of a Cub without un-doing at least half the stacks. I now insist on Atlee's mufflers for just that reason. Cannot imagine it falling off.

  22. #22
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I have worried about that stainless fuel pressure line on my Decathlon. Even bought an electric fuel pressure gauge to eliminate the line, but then found out it did no such thing - still needed the most vulnerable part of the line.

  24. #24
    Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    At Work.....
    Posts
    1,747
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have found stainless lines ready to chafe through and I have had a customer have a stainless line fail at the baffling union, that one spewed fuel for God knows how long. He said his fuel flow went way down and when I took the cowling off it was pretty clear what his problem was. This "Customer" refused a prebuy and I ended up doing a lot of work to get it airworthy. This fuel flow issue was the first time I saw the airplane. The guy was lucky to be alive.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9349.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	49440
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    7,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be more frightened, except that every Lycoming IO has those lines leading to injectors, and they seem to last a long time.

    It is, however, tempting to block off that gauge line. At least one local aircraft has had a fire due to fracture of the gauge line, immediately after engine overhaul.

    The report did not seem to say exactly what failed, only that the hot exhaust burned through that line, and that they found hose clamps.

  26. #26
    Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    At Work.....
    Posts
    1,747
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    I would be more frightened, except that every Lycoming IO has those lines leading to injectors, and they seem to last a long time.
    Yes, and those have very reliable silver brazed compression style fittings on the end. in this case, the line in question was the one that sends the fuel to the pressure sensor that interpolates the pressure into fuel flow indication. it terminates in a flare and this is the part that failed. I will try to find the image of the one from a 185 that was worn almost all the way through. It was pretty scary too. Mostly because I was about to ferry it across the country.
    Likes mike mcs repair, Bowie liked this post

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •