• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Retracing Flight of Passage Website Launched! Video Interviews and updates!

Absolutely fantastic--this is going to be a very special moment in SC.org history! Thanks a million SJ!

Things are sure picking up speed on the trip!

Lots of interesting stuff coming!

sj

Talked to Chris last week, over the weekend and again yesterday. He has gone from being totally stressed out over paperwork issues and mechanical issues to keyed up after he worked them all out. Yesterday he was swinging the compass so I think they are about ready to head out. Can't wait to fly their wing on their Texas leg of the trip.

I met Chris and April in Lee Bottom, Indiana and flew a few days with them to De Queen, Arkansas before turning for home. It was great fun, and the Nesins are absolutely fantastic people. 71H is exquisitely restored as well, one of the nicest cubs I've ever seen. (Props to everyone who had a hand in that!) If they are flying through your area I would highly recommend meeting up to support Chris and April in their journey as well as just have some good old fashioned fun.

Haha hey, someone remembers my name! ;-) Heard a lot about you, hope you are enjoying 71H with the Nesins!

Chris and April arrived about 1 o'clock on Friday so we wisked them away to Clayton's BBQ for lunch. Spent the rest of the day Friday and saturday fixing a leaking brake and exhaust leak along with just general maintenance. Had a good time catching up and got to know Chris' Mom who is following them pulling a camper. Talked to April on Friday night about her work with the Austin Hatcher Foundation. Having spent some time talking with Lance and what he and his family are going through after his son Reed was diagnosed with cancer I can really appreciate the help and support this organization provides to families. There are multi faceted issues that effect not only the child but the entire family, sometimes for many years after the diagnosis. I love airplanes and airplane people and can talk about them for hours on end but I really came away with a special appreciation for people like April and the Austin Hatcher Foundation after or talk Friday night.

We grilled some steaks at the airport Saturday night with some local pilots and Chris prepared to depart early Sunday with the infamous Tom Ford on his wing. I could get Tom to commit to when he would be back to work so I wouldn't be surprised if I get a text of a picture from Cailfornia. Cathy, Lee and I left the hanger after 11 pm which is way past our bedtime and heard a PA11 fly over at 7:03 am so they are well into the second half of their adventure. Gotta thank Charli and the Donald for making a bet that April wouldn't make it to the Mississippi River, knowledge of that bet has kept her focused on making the entire trip. 8)

aqa2azen.jpg

The pass.

Tom, glad you are finally getting out West, there is some cool stuff to see out there!

sj

Just stopped in to tell Chris and April that it was good talking to you guys in Carlsbad, NM. and of course it was good to scratch Lenny. I think he enjoyed it! I had no idea who I was talking to on the radio as we were both coming into KCNM at around the same time. It was an honor being able to fly off your right wing, even though it was only for a second and about 3/4 mile as I came screaming by in the Citation VII.:roll: Good luck in your travels.

Scott

All work and no play makes Steve a dull boy! All kidding aside, I too would have loved to make the trip with Chris and April but just didn't work out.

TWO CALIFORNIA ARRIVALS STARTING TODAY!
Chris and April are planning to arrive at Oceanside (KOKB) around 2pm Today (July 2) and hope to be a Flabob (KRIR) Tomorrow (Thursday July 3) around Noon!

Looks like you are boozing it up in Sonoma and Napa... When are you heading back east? I want to meet up with you as you go through the Rockies. Which way are you going home?

As for the route, I'm leaning towards I80 but the southern Colorado route sounds good too.

Last edited:
Back