• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Blow By Question

Got the chip analysis back a couple of days ago. Said the chips were two kinds of aluminum. AMS 4118 and AMS 4280. I called Lycoming about it and Chris checked with the Lycoming engineers and said the AMS 4118 was chips from possibly a piston pin plug or some other internal accessory part. He said the AMS 4280 was an aluminum casting material such as the engine cases. He said since there was no magnetic material in the chips that there was not a spun bearing. He said if there was a spun bearing there would be some steel in the chips, and there was none.

I also sent a sample of the chips to the owner of the overhaul shop that did the Major and he said he would not fly it, that we need to take it apart until we find it. So that is the plan. I am getting ready to pull the engine in the next week or two and take it up to Arkansas for a teardown inspection to find out what is going on.

Last edited:
The teardown will happen at Mena Aircraft Engines in Mena, Arkansas. Not sure just yet the exact date and time. Nobody wants answers and info more than me.

Do the folks in Mena just work slow? Or do they just take long, early holidays? :wink:

"Reality TV" is dreadfully dull - but this has me on the edge of my seat!

I haven't had a chance to haul it all the way up there yet, but am planning on doing that real soon. It's a pretty long drive, and I want to make sure I have time to stay there with it the whole time so I can see first hand myself exactly what is going on. Will let you know as soon as I know something.

Captivating

I haven't had a chance to haul it all the way up there yet, but am planning on doing that real soon. It's a pretty long drive, and I want to make sure I have time to stay there with it the whole time so I can see first hand myself exactly what is going on. Will let you know as soon as I know something.
There was a bunch of us guys all caught up in this situation, hoping to hear the conclusion and potential solutios

I'm not sure how to go about this, but I will try. I have not abandoned the thread. There just hasn't been anything else to report as of yet. There are several reasons as to why, and I will try to put them into persepective for you.
First of all, I am dealing with an incredible personal crisis at home. I did not want to go on SuperCub.Org and put my personal business all up front out there for everybody to see, but since there are several people who want to know, I will just put it out there and let the chips fall where they may. I do know there are a few people who might be inquisitive as to why I haven't reported anything in the last several months. I do log on every now and then and scan over an article or two, but never for more than one or two minutes, not long enough to be able to make any comments or follow or absorb the content of any thread I would like to follow, then I have to quickly log off due to the circumstances I am dealing with. Let me explain.....

Right around the time all of this started happening to my engine, I had an incredible situation dumped in my lap, and it is one of the most intense situations I have ever had to deal with. My mother, 85 years old, was brought to my house and dumped out. She had been evicted from her apartment. What I did not know at the time, was that she was in the extremely advanced stages of Dementia and Alzheimers. And by extreme, I do mean EXTREME. So extreme, that she cannot be left alone for even a few minutes or there is no telling what she will do. I knew she wasn’t right, but I did not know the extent of it. At mention of a nursing home, she attempted to eat a handful of pills to commit suicide, saying she would kill herself if she was going to be put in a nursing home. This happened several times. She almost burnt the house down trying to use the kitchen stove, which runs on propane. She crapped on the bathroom floor and used a towel to decorate the floor and walls with French swirl patterns, laughing like a maniac the whole time. The list goes on and on. You would have to see it to believe it. If you have ever dealt with Dementia, you know what I am dealing with. If you have not, you will never understand. That is one reason why I never put anything on blast for everybody to see. It is never ending, non-stop, 24/7. She cannot be left alone. At all. And I have no one that can (or Will) help take care of her. It is like, my whole life went into Stop, Drop, Shutdown, Lockdown mode, almost overnight. I had to leave a job that pays me $55 an hour, to do this crap. And I hate it. And I hate it that I can't go on SuperCub.Org and explain to anybody exactly what is going on. I am just so overwhelmed with it all, that I just didn't know how to handle the SuperCub.Org situation, or what to do about it, as it is a small matter compared to what I am dealing with in the overall picture.

The airplane is still sitting in the hanger. I consider myself very fortunate that I can get a lady to come over here once every three weeks or so and babysit her for two hours At MOST, to allow me barely enough time to run over to the hanger in Bay City, (30 miles away) to roll the Cub out, crank it up, and let it idle at 1000 RPM for exactly 4 minutes, then shut it down, roll it back in the hanger, and rush back to the house. By the time I get there, the lady that babysits her while I was gone, is ready to pull all her own hair out and run screaming down the road due to the level of psychodrama-insanity she had to deal with for two hours. I am able to run the engine once every three or four weeks, if I am lucky. I don't run it any longer than 4 minutes though, just long enough to make sure no significant amount of rust forms on the cam or other internal engine parts.

But just so you will know, before this incredibly horriffic situation was dumped in my lap, I did manage to pull off a cylinder and take a look at it. and it appears to be just slightly out of round, which would cause a sufficient amount of blow-by. Also, the piston pin plugs on that cylinder appeared to be barely rubbing on the cylinder walls. At this point, that seems to be the problem. But due to my circumstances, I have been unable to investigate further.

So far, it has taken me several hours to get this far in this reply, having to stop every few minutes to deal with another psychodrama episode. It is incredibly unbelieveable, to the extent that at times I begin to question my own sanity as a result of being so totally exposed to and absorbed in HER insanity.

I know there are some people who followed this thread intently, myself more than any. I was in the process of removing the engine to take it to an engine shop for a teardown inspection when all of this started happening. When I saw how things were going from bad to worse than the day before on a daily basis, I had to stop my engine removal activities, (working alone with no one to help me with it), and just put everything back together so I could at least run the engine ever couple of weeks or so to keep it from getting just totally corroded inside until I can get this situation under control and get back to it. I know it is not advisable to do long ground runs, and I don't, just 4 minutes each time. Just enough to keep a little oil flowing through the engine until I can address the issues. It is the only thing I can do at this time. I was going to pull the engine for teardown, but I would have had to take it to another state for the teardown, and I could not do that due to how rapidly and intense this situation with my mother rapidly escalated to. Not a minute goes by that I am not thinking about all of this, the engine, SuperCub.Org, my mother, the whole thing. The level of stress is unbelieveable.

I log on to SuperCub.Org every chance I get, but I can not log on for more than a minute or two at a time, certainly not long enough to get into reading anything or commenting on anything, before I am sucked off into another spinning vortex of dementia. I am not avoiding anybody or anything like that, and I certainly did not abandon the thread, even though it might appear that way. She is sleeping at the moment, but will be awake any minute. She never sleeps more than 30 minutes at a time, and then she is back at it again. It’s like that round-the-clock.

I really did not want to put any of this on blast, put it out there for all to see. It is personal and extremely embarrassing. I cannot leave the house to go anywhere or do anything. At this point all I can do is endure it and try to find a way to get past it.
At some point, I don't know exactly when, all of this will pass, and I will be able to get my life back, and what I love most, flying and working on my Cub, and SuperCub.Org. I hate this situation more than any of yall. I am sorry if anybody is offended.
I am grateful to those who understand. To those who do not, no explanation is possible.
Thank you for your enquiry. And thank you for understanding. I will be back.
Tony Tucker

Wow! I can only imagine what that is like. We were just curious. Sometimes it helps to talk about it. You must get help soon.

Eddie

I sent you a PM. Going through this right now with my Mom. Call me. And hang in there.

Oh my, Tony. I wondered if something was going on in the rest of life. I suppose this is hardly a great place for the kind of support and comfort you would need, but even so - I would like to donate a couple thoughts. First of all, please do not receive one millisecond of pressure from any comments here. At the end of the day, no matter our "love" of our planes and flying, it is all grossly secondary to the value of our families and lives. I pray the seeds of grace and mercy you have sown into the care of your sick mother bring an eventual harvest of peace for both you and her. Also please be encouraged to learn about the necessity of caring for yourself during this battle. An online search might connect you to some support groups in your area and to advice that helps you make sense of the seeming senselessness of the battle by getting you comfortable with the requisite of being healthy yourself. "Suicide threats" and misunderstandings from others, all duly acknowledged as the pains that they are, cannot become the determinate factors in decisions. If cost factors allow it, a care facility can often truly be the best care for everyone. When your mother's life on earth is completed, you can be free of any accusation or sense of guilt because you did the best you could do. You have our prayers and hopes for the best. Steve

Good Grief man; So sorry for your situation. I think many of us were so fascinated with the day to day discoveries of the non cooperative motor, that your story had taken on a life of its own. Some stories seem not so important, when one gets the vision clear enough to be able to see the big picture. I suspect that a great many of us here, hope and pray that you get some relief, and that you can go defying gravity again sooner than later.

Tony

Thank you for telling us what is going on. Although we may not be able to physically come over and help out, you have all the support in the world, and a lot of prayers from folks on this site. God Bless you, and may He give you both, peace and rest.

Bill

Tony, thanks for sharing, as god-awful as your situation is. Most everyone here deals with a "life gets in the way" situation, all be it maybe not near as extreme as your current battle is. Know that there is a lot of avenues for support, including the fine folk on this site. Our prayers and support are with you in this difficult time. Keep fightin,

WH

Hello; seeing this pop up, brings back recollection of the twists and turns, aka, intrigue of what is the problem. I know this thread died some time ago, for personal and good reasons. Being unable to add anything to the personal part of the thoughts here, I'm still hoping to eventually see a fix of the problems of this engine through understanding, analysis, and S.A.E. sockets. I remember many years ago, majoring a narrow deck O-540 Lyc. In reassembly, I installed a compatible camshaft, and after pushing the nose seal out a couple of times, as well as other gaskets, I discovered that the design of the new cam drive gear, has in some cases at least, to be matched to the accessory housing, or the clearances are so tight around the cam drive gear, that too much crankcase pressure is resultant. I placed the correct accessory housing, and the engine went to TBO. The particulars after 30 years, evade me, but the learning from the experience has not departed. I do not now remember part numbers, and have no way to access them any more. The different results of the two housings was night and day. Problem over. I think it was maybe caused by the integral gear, versus the bolt retained gear. I cannot now remember which combination caused what. I did make several conclusions at the time. 1. A well prepared engine, not yet broken in, initially makes a significant amount of crankcase blow by, which must be vented properly. I assume, this blow by, is reduced in time, primarily due to the seating of the rings, as my engine ran well to TBO with minimal, to very acceptable oil consumption. 2. A normal pre break-in amount of blow by, if not well vented from the crankcase, will and did push nose seals and gaskets out, and oil will leak. The engine referred to here in this thread, was if I remember correctly, making lots of metal, so that is obviously reason for an escalation of concerns, regarding the possible causes. I continue to be hopeful, that one day, we will hear of what is the cause and resolution of the problems of this engine. Thank you!

Hope everything has settled down on the home front. Tough thing to go through. Wondering if the engine problem was resolved.

I'm not sure how to go about this, but I will try. I have not abandoned the thread. There just hasn't been anything else to report as of yet. There are several reasons as to why, and I will try to put them into persepective for you.
First of all, I am dealing with an incredible personal crisis at home. I did not want to go on SuperCub.Org and put my personal business all up front out there for everybody to see, but since there are several people who want to know, I will just put it out there and let the chips fall where they may. I do know there are a few people who might be inquisitive as to why I haven't reported anything in the last several months. I do log on every now and then and scan over an article or two, but never for more than one or two minutes, not long enough to be able to make any comments or follow or absorb the content of any thread I would like to follow, then I have to quickly log off due to the circumstances I am dealing with. Let me explain.....

Right around the time all of this started happening to my engine, I had an incredible situation dumped in my lap, and it is one of the most intense situations I have ever had to deal with. My mother, 85 years old, was brought to my house and dumped out. She had been evicted from her apartment. What I did not know at the time, was that she was in the extremely advanced stages of Dementia and Alzheimers. And by extreme, I do mean EXTREME. So extreme, that she cannot be left alone for even a few minutes or there is no telling what she will do. I knew she wasn’t right, but I did not know the extent of it. At mention of a nursing home, she attempted to eat a handful of pills to commit suicide, saying she would kill herself if she was going to be put in a nursing home. This happened several times. She almost burnt the house down trying to use the kitchen stove, which runs on propane. She crapped on the bathroom floor and used a towel to decorate the floor and walls with French swirl patterns, laughing like a maniac the whole time. The list goes on and on. You would have to see it to believe it. If you have ever dealt with Dementia, you know what I am dealing with. If you have not, you will never understand. That is one reason why I never put anything on blast for everybody to see. It is never ending, non-stop, 24/7. She cannot be left alone. At all. And I have no one that can (or Will) help take care of her. It is like, my whole life went into Stop, Drop, Shutdown, Lockdown mode, almost overnight. I had to leave a job that pays me $55 an hour, to do this crap. And I hate it. And I hate it that I can't go on SuperCub.Org and explain to anybody exactly what is going on. I am just so overwhelmed with it all, that I just didn't know how to handle the SuperCub.Org situation, or what to do about it, as it is a small matter compared to what I am dealing with in the overall picture.

The airplane is still sitting in the hanger. I consider myself very fortunate that I can get a lady to come over here once every three weeks or so and babysit her for two hours At MOST, to allow me barely enough time to run over to the hanger in Bay City, (30 miles away) to roll the Cub out, crank it up, and let it idle at 1000 RPM for exactly 4 minutes, then shut it down, roll it back in the hanger, and rush back to the house. By the time I get there, the lady that babysits her while I was gone, is ready to pull all her own hair out and run screaming down the road due to the level of psychodrama-insanity she had to deal with for two hours. I am able to run the engine once every three or four weeks, if I am lucky. I don't run it any longer than 4 minutes though, just long enough to make sure no significant amount of rust forms on the cam or other internal engine parts.

But just so you will know, before this incredibly horriffic situation was dumped in my lap, I did manage to pull off a cylinder and take a look at it. and it appears to be just slightly out of round, which would cause a sufficient amount of blow-by. Also, the piston pin plugs on that cylinder appeared to be barely rubbing on the cylinder walls. At this point, that seems to be the problem. But due to my circumstances, I have been unable to investigate further.

So far, it has taken me several hours to get this far in this reply, having to stop every few minutes to deal with another psychodrama episode. It is incredibly unbelieveable, to the extent that at times I begin to question my own sanity as a result of being so totally exposed to and absorbed in HER insanity.

I know there are some people who followed this thread intently, myself more than any. I was in the process of removing the engine to take it to an engine shop for a teardown inspection when all of this started happening. When I saw how things were going from bad to worse than the day before on a daily basis, I had to stop my engine removal activities, (working alone with no one to help me with it), and just put everything back together so I could at least run the engine ever couple of weeks or so to keep it from getting just totally corroded inside until I can get this situation under control and get back to it. I know it is not advisable to do long ground runs, and I don't, just 4 minutes each time. Just enough to keep a little oil flowing through the engine until I can address the issues. It is the only thing I can do at this time. I was going to pull the engine for teardown, but I would have had to take it to another state for the teardown, and I could not do that due to how rapidly and intense this situation with my mother rapidly escalated to. Not a minute goes by that I am not thinking about all of this, the engine, SuperCub.Org, my mother, the whole thing. The level of stress is unbelieveable.

I log on to SuperCub.Org every chance I get, but I can not log on for more than a minute or two at a time, certainly not long enough to get into reading anything or commenting on anything, before I am sucked off into another spinning vortex of dementia. I am not avoiding anybody or anything like that, and I certainly did not abandon the thread, even though it might appear that way. She is sleeping at the moment, but will be awake any minute. She never sleeps more than 30 minutes at a time, and then she is back at it again. It’s like that round-the-clock.

I really did not want to put any of this on blast, put it out there for all to see. It is personal and extremely embarrassing. I cannot leave the house to go anywhere or do anything. At this point all I can do is endure it and try to find a way to get past it.
At some point, I don't know exactly when, all of this will pass, and I will be able to get my life back, and what I love most, flying and working on my Cub, and SuperCub.Org. I hate this situation more than any of yall. I am sorry if anybody is offended.
I am grateful to those who understand. To those who do not, no explanation is possible.
Thank you for your enquiry. And thank you for understanding. I will be back.
Tony Tucker
Been there with my Mother-in-law & my Mother!! My thoughts are with you !!!

Back