Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Blow By Question

Post Thanks / Like
    qsmx440 to your question on a blocked breather. I've seen it a couple times on the slope. In the cold the moisture will freeze the extended tubes. The pressure has to go somewhere on the diesels it pushes the dipstick up and the oil out. I've saved a couple finding them in time and I've also seen a baseball size hole in the block from one that didn't get found in time. While the dipsticks are threaded in and can't get blown out it'll blow a seal somewhere to vent the pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex I don't know anything about oil separators BUT based on Desperado's baby bottle experience here is a question: What happens if the seperator was to get overloaded by oil? Would your engine "load up" as Desperado experienced? Loss of power?

When I removed the baby bottle, the loading up totally went away. The tip of the vent tube was only an inch and a half down past the lip inside the baby bottle, and it caused the engine to load up, like it had excessive back pressure in the crank case. I do not have the whistler notch in the vent tube. When the baby bottle filled up with oil from the blowby, I think it caused back pressure which caused the engine to load up. In the cockpit I can't see how much oil is in the baby bottle, but that is my perspective.
    I fly IFR (I Follow Roads).

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I have noticed on mine is that you have to have the baby bottle opening not tight around the vent tube. Mine has 3/8 or better all the way around, and tube is half way down inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    One thing I have noticed on mine is that you have to have the baby bottle opening not tight around the vent tube. Mine has 3/8 or better all the way around, and tube is half way down inside.
    Yeah, mine was at least 3/8" all the way around, maybe more like a half inch, but I am just going from memory, I didn't measure that. There was plenty of clearance though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qsmx440 View Post
    I too have been thinking of the future where this thread is concerned. It would be neat after it's all over to go back and have a couple of engineers, our experienced IA's and A&P's, experienced Experimental builders Diesel mechanics etc. go over the whole thing, synthesize the information and come up with a troubleshooting tree....
    qsmx440, I have been looking at this from the point of view that it was a normally running engine which developed a problem. In reality it is a newly overhauled engine which appears to have had some error in the overhaul. ( I am not pointing fingers at anyone here. The Error could be a part malfunction or human. We don't know.) This error took 30 hours to show up. I do believe that trying to analyze an engine's troubles from an already running well for a long time engine and one which was recently overhauled requires a different perspective.

A properly designed and installed oil separator will do a good job of stopping excess breather oil from escaping.

I have had a screw in dipstick blow out when the breather froze over, dumping most of the oil overboard.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperadoPilot View Post
    Alex I don't know anything about oil separators BUT based on Desperado's baby bottle experience here is a question: What happens if the seperator was to get overloaded by oil? Would your engine "load up" as Desperado experienced? Loss of power?

When I removed the baby bottle, the loading up totally went away. The tip of the vent tube was only an inch and a half down past the lip inside the baby bottle, and it caused the engine to load up, like it had excessive back pressure in the crank case. I do not have the whistler notch in the vent tube. When the baby bottle filled up with oil from the blowby, I think it caused back pressure which caused the engine to load up. In the cockpit I can't see how much oil is in the baby bottle, but that is my perspective.
    Yes you were inserting a "pressure relief valve" where you don't want one. The bottle would fill till the tube end was covered and then the pressure started building in the crankcase until finally a "puff" came along and blew a bunch of oil out of the bottle starting the whole process over again. Probably if you really had been experiencing actual blow by you never would have had the symptom as the pressure would have been much more excessive with each power stroke and blown the hose right out of the bottle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    qsmx440, I have been looking at this from the point of view that it was a normally running engine which developed a problem. In reality it is a newly overhauled engine which appears to have had some error in the overhaul. ( I am not pointing fingers at anyone here. The Error could be a part malfunction or human. We don't know.) This error took 30 hours to show up. I do believe that trying to analyze an engine's troubles from an already running well for a long time engine and one which was recently overhauled requires a different perspective.

A properly designed and installed oil separator will do a good job of stopping excess breather oil from escaping.

I have had a screw in dipstick blow out when the breather froze over, dumping most of the oil overboard.
    30 years ago I left the oil cap off on my O300 after adding a quart for a longer flight. I lost half the oil in the next 2-2 1/2 hour flight. A dipstick or oil cap make lousy breathers

Sky I think 20-20 hindsight will show Desperado could have gotten there a lot faster and cheaper with better questions and maybe testing? For instance rebuilding cylinders that had good compression but "slight glazing" was just a waste of time and money IMHO considering 5 quarts an hour was going overboard and the whole blow by question (upside down rings etc.) could have been laid to rest with a crankcase pressure test as Steve requested. Any broken ring causing this much fuss should have shown up with the bore scope. I question has anyone experienced 5 quart an hour loss in a 200 Cubic Inch engine from rings not seated? Could save a future someone a lot of time and money and maybe their life by going over this thread. Of course that"s considering were not blowing smoke now! Removing non standard mods like the baby bottle would have helped to not muddy the waters with related but unimportant symptoms (Although Desperados "problem" has convinced my to leave the baby bottle with the grandkids).

I'm glad to see Desperado is getting the metal checked before further action.

Fairvew East (Crane Road Airstrip),Wasilla, AK
    Post Thanks / Like
    qsmx440,

Re: the slit hose above the separator - My understanding is that such a thing would render the separator inoperative. They apparently use centrifugal force generated by the exiting crankcase pressure to do their job. I did notice one of the other guys had some positive thoughts for a properly installed oil separator. But one of their comments about ice forming in the old simple breather tube systems made me wonder if our oil separators also have potential for issues with freezing of the moisture in the exiting air. I am a reluctant and infrequent flier at -10F, but I would still like to know the risks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Salex I don't know how cold it was with skywagon's freeze up. Normally on the slope from what I've seen its been when it was cold mid-30's to mid -50's on equipment that's been parked. There idled up but there's not enough heat for the long factory breather tubes. Up there we just take the tubes off depending on how tired the engine is it can make a mess. There's a lot of factors in it, how tired the engine is and how much blow by its making. How much moisture is inside. Where the breather or oil separator is and how much heat its getting to stay thawed. I don't think it happens on aircraft engines as much. If you have gotten almost 2000hrs out of your engine without a problem you should be fine not to say it couldn't happen though. I haven't been around a plane with a separator on it to see where it is and how much heat it would get. I would guess they did some testing on it to find out before selling them.
    Last edited by 574cub; 09-22-2014 at 03:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 574cub View Post
    Salex I don't know how cold it was with skywagon's freeze up..
    This happened 50+ years ago. It was on a clear dry cold winter day in New England at about 5500 feet. Temperature was below zero. After about 30 minutes of flight, the breather formed a large chunk of solid ice over the outlet which was protruding a little more than an inch below the bottom cowl. There was a loud bang from the engine (dip stick hitting the cowl) followed by a loss of most of the oil pressure. Looking out the window, oil was seen out to the tip of the stabilizer. Following this event there was an AD note issued to install a whistle in the breather pipe inside the warmer cowl area. Mine was not the only one. I know of at least one other which crashed and was destroyed. I made it to an airport.

AD 64-17-05
    http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library%5CrgAD.nsf/AOCADSearch/DD6BF956A08C4CB386256A5400439654?OpenDocument

Last edited by skywagon8a; 09-22-2014 at 06:00 AM.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread has taken another interesting twist.

Sky was that rime icing do you think? In any event it wasn't from moisture in the engine freezing as it exited the pipe. Correct? Not much point in conjecture on the effect a separator would have had on Desperado's problem until we know for sure what the problem is. BUT, always with the but, if it's inline with the hose and if there is no "whistle" slot then it would have potential to block in the first and maybe mask a symptom in the second? To know if a separator could mask a symptom (Silex's original question) we would need to know the oil removal rate at a given crankcase pressure (voltage) and hose volume (current) needed for that rate or a curve on a pressure/volume chart. If it turns out Desperado's problem is a bearing well the only symptom he has had actually is oil loss. Would a separator have been a good thing (retaining the oil) or a bad thing (masking the only symptom)? This might deserve a thread of it's own after we know what is actually causing Desperado's problem.

Has anyone thought of how a better engine monitoring system could be designed to include bearings in the picture? My 3D printer uses cheap and tiny thermistors to measure hotend temperatures accurately from outside temp to 4-500 degrees.. Less than 2-3 bucks each and maybe 1/16 by 1/8 inch glass drop. They just push into a small hole in the aluminum near the heater and Kapton tape keeps them there. A cheap Arduino controller (RAMBo) could keep track of them and the trends (along with running the autopilot, navigating and making coffee etc.). I'm talking experimental of course as I'm sure some company could turn a 100$ accessory into a 10,000 dollar monitoring system! Tiny transducers could also detect a bearing going (or already gone even though the engine is happily running on 3 compromised bearings instead of four good ones as in my pictures. Once calibrated a small audio amp with a threshold indicator (squelch circuit) could indicate a bad bearing by the huge increase in noise.

Crankshafts are way stronger than I thought.) I always thought oil pressure would tell the bearing story until hearing the story behind the engine I posted pictures of. Very disturbing to know you may only see oil pressure drop when your engine quits. Oil pressure it appears is not necessarily a trend indicator and that would be a good thing to have since it appears these engines seem to eat themselves for a while before quitting. Without a "trend" warning, the engine reliably running for a while as a grinding machine is not of much use to you if you don't know it's giving you it's last few minutes to land and worse yet the final silence may come during the next takeoff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just scaned over this thread so don't know if it was mentioned, but my first thought would be that steel rings were put in steel barrels or chrome rings were put in chrome barrels. That would cause the blow by and metal in oil. SOA will only look at PPM, it is for trend monitoring and is really unneeded in a piston engine when you have a hand full of metal to look at with the naked eye. A good mechanic should be able to tell you where it is coming from. If I majored a engine and it made more than a few slivers of metal on break in I would want it back in my shop right away before any more damage is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qsmx440 View Post
    Sky was that rime icing do you think? In any event it wasn't from moisture in the engine freezing as it exited the pipe. Correct? .
    It was not rime. It was a severe cold CAVU winter day. The only possible source of moisture was from the engine breather. The outside air temperature was so cold that the breather moisture froze as it exited the pipe. It formed a large golf ball sized chunk of ice.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    SuperCub MD, AvLab has a test kit for Lab Analysis of Small Particles, Kit No. AVL-CK, for $110 that will analyze the small metal flakes and tell me where they came from. I called them and was told that to test the flakes and a 2 ounce sample of oil would cost $129 total. If it was just metal particles, only $110. Just to test a small sample of oil alone is only $20.95, test kit No. GA-001-SP. This is where I am sending my metal flakes and oil sample to for testing.

http://www.avlab.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1996

The kit I will be using is GA-001-OF-CK for $129, which will test both, the flakes and a sample of the oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I am beginning to think a teardown is in my near future as well. I am also starting to think that the blow-by problem and the metal in the screen are two seperate issues as well. But then again, what do I know. Actually, not much of anything, according to my wife.
    I've been watching this thread with interest since it's inception, and would have commented, but didn't see that I had anything to add, as the normal diagnostics weren't making sense. However, looking at the big picture, and the metal from your screen, I do have a few thoughts.

1. No need to send the metal flakes off for analysis. Any time the engine makes that much metal, the source will be obvious when you tear it down, and it needs to be torn down!

2. The bogging down is consistent with a bearing seizing and spinning and is likely coincidental to the breather and baby bottle. IMHO, that's a red herring.

3. The 30 hour time frame is consistent with the time frame for an improperly torqued bearing to fail, often times failing the case with it when the bearing spins as shown in the photos from QSMX40. Of course when you removed the top end, the bearing would have been re-torqued upon re-assembly if it was a center bearing. If it's a front bearing and is spraying oil into the breather area, then it likely wasn't re-torqued during the top overhaul.

You are at a point now where the problem will be obvious upon tear down of the case, so that's where I would go with it. Whether you do it locally, or take it back to the shop that did the original overhaul is up to you. Since the top end has been off since they last saw it, they may not want to warranty the work, so you may have to work with them a bit to convince them the top overhaul was due to the problem, rather than the problem being caused by an unneeded top overhaul following their major overhaul.

If you were in this part of the country, I would do the engine tear down for you for free just to satisfy my curiosity.

-Cub Builder

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I didn't get the right point across. Chunks are chunks, in a new engine it doesn't matter what flavor they are. They are embedding in the soft tissues of your engine like your crank bearings and piston skirts, every turn of the engine at this point is making a lot of wear to expensive parts. My advise is to get it back to the overhauler, if they will stand behind their product at all they will want to find a answer before further damage is done. My first guess is still incorrect type rings, as I have seen this before. If my guess is right you will ruin the entire engine by continuing to run it.

Post Thanks / Like
    That pile of metal, is what got screened out. The smaller stuff, is still circulating, when the engine is run. In the interest of saving parts, no matter what the source of metal is, it seems prudent to have a very well qualified person disassemble carefully, looking for the source. As has been implied previously, I surely do hope the engine is diagnosed by someone who has the integrity to be transparent about what is found. I hope that looming liability and reputation concerns, do not pressure someone or some organization to be less than candid about what they discover. As of now, this problem has not hurt anyone, other than financially.... I fear, that if this were my engine, I would not be so methodical in diagnosis, nor so gracious with everyone who has twisted wrenches on it, as has been it's owner. Unforeseeable failures, do occur in the creation and use of mechanical devices.. There may be human error involved, or just plain unexpected failure of materials. One way or the other, this problem has to be solved, and likely it is more significant than a little too much blow by. That metal pile, frightens me. Not that I know so much, but never have I found even a small portion of that amount of metal, in any of a multitude of screens I have cleaned. I desperately hope this gets resolved satisfactorily, before any additional unnecessary expenses are created. It is with considerable chagrin, that I recall early on in this conversation, promoting the idea of running this engine real hard under load for a while. My sense is that this is no insignificant problem, and I sure don't want someone to get banged up or another airplane bent and in the news. Turns out that free advice is worth about what is charged. This discussion has been engrossing, and might even be entertaining, if the cost, and stakes were not so high. I, as likely do many others, anxiously await an unpacking of the findings, conclusions, and resolutions in this problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only engine I ever saw with more metal in the screen was an A65 Continental lying on the floor in the corner of a hangar. It was offered as a no logbook core for cheap. When the oil screen came out it was totally plugged with large aluminum flakes and it had collapsed. The case was junk, the crank was junk, the cam was junk, one cylinder, piston, and wristpin was junk for sure. Nobody measured the other three cylinders to see if they could be ground oversize and they needed it if they were still standard. It was a first class genuine boat anchor. Wristpin cap got into the cylinder wall to deeply score the cylinder and create the aluminum that plugged the screen and the lack of oil circulation took care of everything else. The stuff in the screen of this poor motor would have made a bigger pile of cuttings than Desperado's Lycoming but not by much. Don't forget that all the stuff you collected from the filter has gone through the oil pump. It wasn't designed to pump metal like that. I sure hope you come out OK on this. jrh

Post Thanks / Like
    I will let yall know what the analysis results are when I get them back in a few days, probably by the middle of next week. It is only pure speculation at this point, but it was told to me by an old man who has rebuilt numerous engines over the years who looked closely at the metal flakes, that it looked to him like the flakes were probably chrome that came off of the rings, that the new rings were probably installed incorrectly and possibly even upside down by the guy who put them in, and that would contribute as to why it was blowing so much oil out. He said when clean oil is darkened that much in 30 minutes it is because of excessive blow-by, probably in all four cylinders, especially since all the plugs were oil-wet after the new top end was installed and they were all pink before the top overhaul. There was no significant amount of flakes in the screen before the top overhaul. The stuff looks like chrome plated glitter. The cylinders are steel, and the rings are chrome. He said it was just speculation on his part and nothing more. He also said if all the plugs were wet with oil it was because a lot of oil was getting past the rings. So I don't know. As soon as I get the lab results back I will know exactly what this stuff is and where it came from. Til then, everything is just that, speculation, until then.....

Post Thanks / Like
    And???

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the chip analysis back a couple of days ago. Said the chips were two kinds of aluminum. AMS 4118 and AMS 4280. I called Lycoming about it and Chris checked with the Lycoming engineers and said the AMS 4118 was chips from possibly a piston pin plug or some other internal accessory part. He said the AMS 4280 was an aluminum casting material such as the engine cases. He said since there was no magnetic material in the chips that there was not a spun bearing. He said if there was a spun bearing there would be some steel in the chips, and there was none.

I also sent a sample of the chips to the owner of the overhaul shop that did the Major and he said he would not fly it, that we need to take it apart until we find it. So that is the plan. I am getting ready to pull the engine in the next week or two and take it up to Arkansas for a teardown inspection to find out what is going on.
    Last edited by DesperadoPilot; 10-16-2014 at 10:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be there during the tear down

Post Thanks / Like
    This feels like a reality tv show. We all want answers and info, but we will have to find out next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    The teardown will happen at Mena Aircraft Engines in Mena, Arkansas. Not sure just yet the exact date and time. Nobody wants answers and info more than me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the folks in Mena just work slow? Or do they just take long, early holidays?

"Reality TV" is dreadfully dull - but this has me on the edge of my seat!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't had a chance to haul it all the way up there yet, but am planning on doing that real soon. It's a pretty long drive, and I want to make sure I have time to stay there with it the whole time so I can see first hand myself exactly what is going on. Will let you know as soon as I know something.

Post Thanks / Like

Captivating

I haven't had a chance to haul it all the way up there yet, but am planning on doing that real soon. It's a pretty long drive, and I want to make sure I have time to stay there with it the whole time so I can see first hand myself exactly what is going on. Will let you know as soon as I know something.
    There was a bunch of us guys all caught up in this situation, hoping to hear the conclusion and potential solutios

Post Thanks / Like
    And??

Post Thanks / Like
    Strange. He still vists this site regularly but abandoned the thread.

Eddie
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen him around the airport in a while, I'll try to catch him if I see him and get an update.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure how to go about this, but I will try. I have not abandoned the thread. There just hasn't been anything else to report as of yet. There are several reasons as to why, and I will try to put them into persepective for you.
    First of all, I am dealing with an incredible personal crisis at home. I did not want to go on SuperCub.Org and put my personal business all up front out there for everybody to see, but since there are several people who want to know, I will just put it out there and let the chips fall where they may. I do know there are a few people who might be inquisitive as to why I haven't reported anything in the last several months. I do log on every now and then and scan over an article or two, but never for more than one or two minutes, not long enough to be able to make any comments or follow or absorb the content of any thread I would like to follow, then I have to quickly log off due to the circumstances I am dealing with. Let me explain.....

Right around the time all of this started happening to my engine, I had an incredible situation dumped in my lap, and it is one of the most intense situations I have ever had to deal with. My mother, 85 years old, was brought to my house and dumped out. She had been evicted from her apartment. What I did not know at the time, was that she was in the extremely advanced stages of Dementia and Alzheimers. And by extreme, I do mean EXTREME. So extreme, that she cannot be left alone for even a few minutes or there is no telling what she will do. I knew she wasn’t right, but I did not know the extent of it. At mention of a nursing home, she attempted to eat a handful of pills to commit suicide, saying she would kill herself if she was going to be put in a nursing home. This happened several times. She almost burnt the house down trying to use the kitchen stove, which runs on propane. She crapped on the bathroom floor and used a towel to decorate the floor and walls with French swirl patterns, laughing like a maniac the whole time. The list goes on and on. You would have to see it to believe it. If you have ever dealt with Dementia, you know what I am dealing with. If you have not, you will never understand. That is one reason why I never put anything on blast for everybody to see. It is never ending, non-stop, 24/7. She cannot be left alone. At all. And I have no one that can (or Will) help take care of her. It is like, my whole life went into Stop, Drop, Shutdown, Lockdown mode, almost overnight. I had to leave a job that pays me $55 an hour, to do this crap. And I hate it. And I hate it that I can't go on SuperCub.Org and explain to anybody exactly what is going on. I am just so overwhelmed with it all, that I just didn't know how to handle the SuperCub.Org situation, or what to do about it, as it is a small matter compared to what I am dealing with in the overall picture.

The airplane is still sitting in the hanger. I consider myself very fortunate that I can get a lady to come over here once every three weeks or so and babysit her for two hours At MOST, to allow me barely enough time to run over to the hanger in Bay City, (30 miles away) to roll the Cub out, crank it up, and let it idle at 1000 RPM for exactly 4 minutes, then shut it down, roll it back in the hanger, and rush back to the house. By the time I get there, the lady that babysits her while I was gone, is ready to pull all her own hair out and run screaming down the road due to the level of psychodrama-insanity she had to deal with for two hours. I am able to run the engine once every three or four weeks, if I am lucky. I don't run it any longer than 4 minutes though, just long enough to make sure no significant amount of rust forms on the cam or other internal engine parts.

But just so you will know, before this incredibly horriffic situation was dumped in my lap, I did manage to pull off a cylinder and take a look at it. and it appears to be just slightly out of round, which would cause a sufficient amount of blow-by. Also, the piston pin plugs on that cylinder appeared to be barely rubbing on the cylinder walls. At this point, that seems to be the problem. But due to my circumstances, I have been unable to investigate further.

So far, it has taken me several hours to get this far in this reply, having to stop every few minutes to deal with another psychodrama episode. It is incredibly unbelieveable, to the extent that at times I begin to question my own sanity as a result of being so totally exposed to and absorbed in HER insanity.

I know there are some people who followed this thread intently, myself more than any. I was in the process of removing the engine to take it to an engine shop for a teardown inspection when all of this started happening. When I saw how things were going from bad to worse than the day before on a daily basis, I had to stop my engine removal activities, (working alone with no one to help me with it), and just put everything back together so I could at least run the engine ever couple of weeks or so to keep it from getting just totally corroded inside until I can get this situation under control and get back to it. I know it is not advisable to do long ground runs, and I don't, just 4 minutes each time. Just enough to keep a little oil flowing through the engine until I can address the issues. It is the only thing I can do at this time. I was going to pull the engine for teardown, but I would have had to take it to another state for the teardown, and I could not do that due to how rapidly and intense this situation with my mother rapidly escalated to. Not a minute goes by that I am not thinking about all of this, the engine, SuperCub.Org, my mother, the whole thing. The level of stress is unbelieveable.

I log on to SuperCub.Org every chance I get, but I can not log on for more than a minute or two at a time, certainly not long enough to get into reading anything or commenting on anything, before I am sucked off into another spinning vortex of dementia. I am not avoiding anybody or anything like that, and I certainly did not abandon the thread, even though it might appear that way. She is sleeping at the moment, but will be awake any minute. She never sleeps more than 30 minutes at a time, and then she is back at it again. It’s like that round-the-clock.

I really did not want to put any of this on blast, put it out there for all to see. It is personal and extremely embarrassing. I cannot leave the house to go anywhere or do anything. At this point all I can do is endure it and try to find a way to get past it.
    At some point, I don't know exactly when, all of this will pass, and I will be able to get my life back, and what I love most, flying and working on my Cub, and SuperCub.Org. I hate this situation more than any of yall. I am sorry if anybody is offended.
    I am grateful to those who understand. To those who do not, no explanation is possible.
    Thank you for your enquiry. And thank you for understanding. I will be back.
    Tony Tucker

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I can only imagine what that is like. We were just curious. Sometimes it helps to talk about it. You must get help soon.

Eddie

Barnstormer
    I sent you a PM. Going through this right now with my Mom. Call me. And hang in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my, Tony. I wondered if something was going on in the rest of life. I suppose this is hardly a great place for the kind of support and comfort you would need, but even so - I would like to donate a couple thoughts. First of all, please do not receive one millisecond of pressure from any comments here. At the end of the day, no matter our "love" of our planes and flying, it is all grossly secondary to the value of our families and lives. I pray the seeds of grace and mercy you have sown into the care of your sick mother bring an eventual harvest of peace for both you and her. Also please be encouraged to learn about the necessity of caring for yourself during this battle. An online search might connect you to some support groups in your area and to advice that helps you make sense of the seeming senselessness of the battle by getting you comfortable with the requisite of being healthy yourself. "Suicide threats" and misunderstandings from others, all duly acknowledged as the pains that they are, cannot become the determinate factors in decisions. If cost factors allow it, a care facility can often truly be the best care for everyone. When your mother's life on earth is completed, you can be free of any accusation or sense of guilt because you did the best you could do. You have our prayers and hopes for the best. Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Grief man; So sorry for your situation. I think many of us were so fascinated with the day to day discoveries of the non cooperative motor, that your story had taken on a life of its own. Some stories seem not so important, when one gets the vision clear enough to be able to see the big picture. I suspect that a great many of us here, hope and pray that you get some relief, and that you can go defying gravity again sooner than later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony

Thank you for telling us what is going on. Although we may not be able to physically come over and help out, you have all the support in the world, and a lot of prayers from folks on this site. God Bless you, and may He give you both, peace and rest.

Bill
    Very Blessed. "It's not an obsession, it's a passion"

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, thanks for sharing, as god-awful as your situation is. Most everyone here deals with a "life gets in the way" situation, all be it maybe not near as extreme as your current battle is. Know that there is a lot of avenues for support, including the fine folk on this site. Our prayers and support are with you in this difficult time. Keep fightin,

WH

Post Thanks / Like
    Howz it going?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello; seeing this pop up, brings back recollection of the twists and turns, aka, intrigue of what is the problem. I know this thread died some time ago, for personal and good reasons. Being unable to add anything to the personal part of the thoughts here, I'm still hoping to eventually see a fix of the problems of this engine through understanding, analysis, and S.A.E. sockets. I remember many years ago, majoring a narrow deck O-540 Lyc. In reassembly, I installed a compatible camshaft, and after pushing the nose seal out a couple of times, as well as other gaskets, I discovered that the design of the new cam drive gear, has in some cases at least, to be matched to the accessory housing, or the clearances are so tight around the cam drive gear, that too much crankcase pressure is resultant. I placed the correct accessory housing, and the engine went to TBO. The particulars after 30 years, evade me, but the learning from the experience has not departed. I do not now remember part numbers, and have no way to access them any more. The different results of the two housings was night and day. Problem over. I think it was maybe caused by the integral gear, versus the bolt retained gear. I cannot now remember which combination caused what. I did make several conclusions at the time. 1. A well prepared engine, not yet broken in, initially makes a significant amount of crankcase blow by, which must be vented properly. I assume, this blow by, is reduced in time, primarily due to the seating of the rings, as my engine ran well to TBO with minimal, to very acceptable oil consumption. 2. A normal pre break-in amount of blow by, if not well vented from the crankcase, will and did push nose seals and gaskets out, and oil will leak. The engine referred to here in this thread, was if I remember correctly, making lots of metal, so that is obviously reason for an escalation of concerns, regarding the possible causes. I continue to be hopeful, that one day, we will hear of what is the cause and resolution of the problems of this engine. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope everything has settled down on the home front. Tough thing to go through. Wondering if the engine problem was resolved.