Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electronic ignition 0-320. Which one?

Post Thanks / Like

Electronic ignition 0-320. Which one?

What electronic ignition for the 0-320 seems to be the best one on the market to buy? Down the road I also plan on converting over to fuel injection too.

Post Thanks / Like
    check out http://flyefii.com/

Good to work with. Good reports, you can check out some threads on the RV's site. http://www.vansairforce.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Emag, Pmag, great product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs66 View Post
    Emag, Pmag, great product.
    Are you running these? If so, how many hours?
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Bugs. I'm using the P-mag because it generates it's own power once it is on line. Also, it is a simple replace the mag installation, only one component. Only 65 hours on mine so far, but it runs better/smoother than magnetos and with low priced auto spark plugs.

My engine is fuel injected.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have over 1100hours on my dual P-Mags on an O-360. Zero problems. Just remember to keep them cool with blast tubes per the install instructions. Best plugs to run are NGK BR-8eis Iridium. Non Iridium wear too quickly.

Im assuming you are Exp. Not for certified yet.

Lou

QUOTE=skukum12;601086]Are you running these? If so, how many hours?[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    My Pacer is experimental with a Lycoming 0-320 160hp and it is carbureted. I read last night that the flyefii system has the strongest spark output whereas the P-Mag has the lowest output? Is this a correct fact? Does the efii system require a backup battery?

Post Thanks / Like
    P-mags I have a little over 400 hrs on them sense install no problems ....yes blast tubes for cooling and auto plugs

Post Thanks / Like
    I read the EFII comparison report - I don't believe it. The report shows both P-Mag and Lightspeed as having less energy than a Slick magneto at all RPMs, even idle. The whole point to electronic ignition is more energy (and better timing). CD ignitions, like Lightspeed's, have short spark, but generally produce a lot of energy.

While I suppose one supplier could be clueless, Lightspeed was for many years the gold standard for experimental aircraft ignitions and they're hardly incompetent. Lightspeed specs > 120 mJ for its ignition; the EFII report shows just 18 mJ.

EFII's results just don't make sense. I speculate that the 100 ohm shunt that EFII used triggered something in the sophisticated controls that both PMag and LS use that limited the output.
    Last edited by sjohnson; 05-09-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cook11 View Post
    My Pacer is experimental with a Lycoming 0-320 160hp and it is carbureted. I read last night that the flyefii system has the strongest spark output whereas the P-Mag has the lowest output? Is this a correct fact? Does the efii system require a backup battery?
    Don't know about that, but I'm not giving up my E-Mag, great product

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you guys running dual P-Mag's? I am not 100% if E-mag is single of dual? I need to be educated....

Post Thanks / Like
    Dual p-mags

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FdxLou View Post
    .... Best plugs to run are NGK BR-8eis Iridium. Non Iridium wear too quickly.

Lou
    Lou,
    I'm using the BR8EIX Iridium, which I thought was the number which you mentioned some time ago. How/why did you decide to use this part number? I have found them to collect lead. Not enough to need cleaning, but enough to question if this is the best plug. I have been thinking of getting a hotter plug such as the BR7EIX, to try to burn off that lead. What do you think? How long have you been running them before replacement?

Mine are running just fine. Just wondering if they should be fine tuned? Your past post on this subject, is the only reference which I have seen for auto plug numbers.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you guys running dual P-Mag's? I am not 100% if E-mag is single of dual? I need to be educated....
    Two separate P-mags. Not to be confused with the Bendix Dual-mag, which is two magnetos in one housing.
    http://www.emagair.com/
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Ruffair do you have first hand expierience with the flyefii system?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the plug I use and at $6:00 a plug I put new ones in at every annual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ruffair do you have first hand expierience with the flyefii system?
    No. Not yet.

I had an I0-360-a1b6d rebuilt as an aerobatic motor. A very reputable shop in Tulsa built it up and put on the EFII ignition. They did the motor
    run in the test cell, all went well.

Now I just need to find the time to pick up motor and put it to use. When that happens I'll share my experience.

Kem
    (note) that motor had the single-drive-dual-magneto. P / E mag was not an option because of that drive.

here is some discussion on the efii, there's lots more in the vans airforce site.
    http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...highlight=efii
    Last edited by Ruffair; 05-09-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My bad....EIX not EIS.
    Thought about going to a hotter plug (7 vs 8 heat range), but have found if I lean aggressively on the ground they foul less. I change mine every 150 hours. I order them online from Advance Auto with free delivery. They always include a coupon good for $20 off a future order of $50 or more. Also, I'm kinda afraid that a hotter heat range may increase my CHT's. My eng has 1800 SMOH and # 3 and #4 run 380-390F when OAT is over 80F. I run peak EGT or slightly LOP. Also, my comp is 9.5.

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Lou,
    I'm using the BR8EIX Iridium, which I thought was the number which you mentioned some time ago. How/why did you decide to use this part number? I have found them to collect lead. Not enough to need cleaning, but enough to question if this is the best plug. I have been thinking of getting a hotter plug such as the BR7EIX, to try to burn off that lead. What do you think? How long have you been running them before replacement?

Mine are running just fine. Just wondering if they should be fine tuned? Your past post on this subject, is the only reference which I have seen for auto plug numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lou, why don't you try the hotter plug in 3 and 4 and see what happens. I can't see where it would increase the CHTs much if at all. Did the fine wire plugs increase or decrease the CHTs compared to the BR8ES. I'm about ready for a plug change and am thinking about going with the fine wire plugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I run Slick with impulse on left, Pmag on right and it runs auto plugs on top bank (BR8EIX). I wanted to keep one Slick because will be on floats one day, and don't want to worry about dead battery and starting. When I do a mag check and disable the Slick, I only see about a 10rpm drop, barely noticeable so the Pmag really puts out. My fuel economy improved also (.5-1 gph). I don't get any fouling with the auto plugs OR massives, but I run mogas almost exclusively.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ruffair with the flyefii do you require magnets mounted on the flywheel? If so how are they mounted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ruffair with the flyefii do you require magnets mounted on the flywheel? If so how are they mounted?
    To answer your questions Yes on magnets mounted on flywheel. I have not seen the motor. can't answer how. But I do recall that
    the flywheel/ring gear, was sent to efii and they mounted magnets.

I suggest you call efii, he is very helpful and will answer your questions better that I can.

If/When I get this motor hung and well wrung out. I will be glad to tell you what I know.

I am not a builder. have talents in the mechanical field that require the use of vise grips and hammers. But I love to fly the wheels off things, just don't always
    know how they work.

Call Robert Paisley at Tel (951)317-3473 or Email: info@flyefii.com

He can and will help you.

Kem
    Last edited by Ruffair; 05-10-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: I think that flywheel thingy is called a ring gear. whatever, it has teeth on it. U know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FdxLou View Post
    My bad....EIX not EIS.
    Thought about going to a hotter plug (7 vs 8 heat range), but have found if I lean aggressively on the ground they foul less. I change mine every 150 hours. I order them online from Advance Auto with free delivery. They always include a coupon good for $20 off a future order of $50 or more. Also, I'm kinda afraid that a hotter heat range may increase my CHT's. My eng has 1800 SMOH and # 3 and #4 run 380-390F when OAT is over 80F. I run peak EGT or slightly LOP. Also, my comp is 9.5.

Lou
    Thanks Lou,
    Mine is a stock engine (195TT) with balanced fuel injection which I usually run at around peak EGT. I tried running LOP but found it difficult to determine the exact optimum setting. There was a noticeable loss of power when on the LOP side. At 22"mp and 2400 rpm it is burning 8-8.2 gph with a maximum CHT on a hot day of about 380. I could perhaps be a little more aggressive on the mixture control but after years of operating on the rich side, it does make me a bit nervous. Gas is cheaper than an engine. The next time I call Rock Auto for a set of plugs, I think that I will try the BR7EIX. I do like these auto plugs, which I consider throwaways. The price of a whole set of them is about the same as just one iridium airplane plug.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim

Not sure what plug you refer to when you say "fine wire", mine are the Iridium tipped BR 8's. Not like the fine wire aircraft plugs. I don't find the carbon buildup to be a problem. Very few clinkers when I inspect them. Didn't notice a change in CHT's when switching to the BR8eix. The standard BR8's we're wearing too fast. After 40 hrs the gap went from .035 to .045!
    You still running LOP?

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Lou, why don't you try the hotter plug in 3 and 4 and see what happens. I can't see where it would increase the CHTs much if at all. Did the fine wire plugs increase or decrease the CHTs compared to the BR8ES. I'm about ready for a plug change and am thinking about going with the fine wire plugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Skywagon, seems you could do better on your fuel burn. My O-360 burns 7-7.2 gph @2400. I lean till my hottest is ~1400 and CHT is 350's. EI says the sum of those under 1800 is fine. I scope my valves and cylinder and look perfect. Plugs look perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buggs, You are likely correct. I tend to be more conservative with the newfangled EI CHT/EGT instrument which is feeding me a lot of numbers. In the old days, I used to pull the mixture until it got rough on one mag, then push in a little. Now with the new instrument, reading the numbers, it never does get to the rough point. I can get it down to 6.3 gph when leaned to peak at 52% power. That is at a cost of 15 mph in cruise speed. At 76% power the burn is 8.3 gph.

In reviewing my test data at all power settings and mixture ratios, I never did get to the 1800 combination which you mentioned, on any of the cylinders. Except when looking for peak at higher power settings, and then only a few times.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the full EFII system on my airplane , the air fuel ratio is 13:1 in optimum setting , cyl temps 360-380 EGT 1190-1200 , fuel burn @2400rpm 6.6-7 per hour once the computer is dialed in very little to do as far as leaning compensates for oil temp oat humidity altitude !!! Had light speeds before great systems , but hot cold starting is never a issue !! Extreme performance increased with this system !! mikeo

Post Thanks / Like
    How has the aircrafts performance improved? Any performance spec's before installation vs after installation?

Post Thanks / Like
    The plus's
    1 have same thrust on take off as when I was using my 50 hp nitrous boost
    2 less fuel burn better performance
    3 oil stays clean for thirty hours when it's changed
    4used a qt of oil every 4 hrs now 1 qt in 30 hrs
    5 easy starting cold or hot ( just like a fuel injected car)
    6lighter than mags and carburetor
    7great installation support

These are some of the better features of this system mikeo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    The EFII ignition system is one answer to the H2AD mag problem. I was pretty well sold on the Lightspeed system but now this certainly looks like another solution.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

There are no new ways to crash an airplane no matter how hard you may try!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowrider I used the dual light speed II for several years it worked just fine , never an issue very good and dependable product !!
    I think the EFII longer spark burn leads to better and more complete fuel burn , no lead fouling with this system !! mikeo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike!!!

I plan to use unleaded non-alcohol 92 mogas most of the time with some 100LL once in awhile and I'm thinking a throttle body.

We just had out annual "lost in the 50's" car show and I was talking to a fellow pilot with a cherry '66 GTO ( I used to have a '68) and he works at NAPA in CA and he says they just put together a Mallory system for a fellow with an experimental I0-360. He said the dual redundant system cost less than $1,200 and provides "mega spark" that's fully programable with a Ipad or tablet. I'm pretty sure he said it was a crank trigger. Auto technology has advanced so much in the last few years that it is really tempting.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The EFII system has throttle body ,injectors , ignition system it's less than mags and carburetor , I'm not far from you I can fly over and let you look at the install !! mikeo

Lowrider
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Thanks for the offer!! I'm headed back East to watch my last kid graduate from college and visit a bit. I'll be back end of May. When you're ready, shoot me a PM and I'll be available.