• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wirlwind STOL ground adjustable propeller

Alaska bush flyer
I have mine on a 0320 160 hp . My plane is not a supercub so I am not sure how much my numbers will help.
I have tried from 12 deg. to 17 deg
At 17deg I only got 2140 static so did not fly it
@ 12 deg I don't remember the static but I get 2650 on take off roll , poor cruise & great take off.
@ 14 .8 , I get red line at WOT in level flight and almost 15 mph faster cruise that when @ 12 deg ;take off is of course not as good @14.8

Doug

Hi. How many degrees for prop angle do you recommend? GA200L-82 Propeller with O320 A2B Lyc engine? (EFII single electronic ignition system). Tks

Lvgbr
I am of no help on the 82 inch prop , mine is 78" . I did see where they came out with the longer blads and would love to try them.
Doug

I contacted sensenich regarding there composite ground adjustable. The current one offered is not recommended for Cubs and Pacer styled aircraft. But......within the next six months they will have blades that will suit our airframes.

A guy at my airport has an O-200 powered legend Cub and I believe it has the Sensenich ground-adjustable prop. Don't know the cruise speed but it sure looks like it works well for STOL.

Hi. How many degrees for prop angle do you recommend? GA200L-82 Propeller with O320 A2B Lyc engine? (EFII single electronic ignition system). Tks

We have a Whirl Wind Propellers 82" GA200L-STOL on a O-375 that likes the 12.5 - 13.5 degree pitch setting.

A guy at my airport has an O-200 powered legend Cub and I believe it has the Sensenich ground-adjustable prop. Don't know the cruise speed but it sure looks like it works well for STOL.

I have the same prop on my EX 0200 SC. With a 52 pitch and 2350 static it's off in under 275' and still climbs well, 700 FPM? and cruises at 100 mph at 2450, WOT is 2650 at 111 mph.
46 pitch 2550 static it's off under 200' and ROC about 1000 FPM, 2450 cruise is 86 mph and WOT is 2775 at 97 mph.
I think I can squeak 3 more mph with a 54 pitch cartridge.

Glenn

Last edited:
WhirlWind Propellers GA200L-STOL Ground-Adjustable Propeller

I was contacted by somebody who saw this thread, and they asked me if I could clear up some questions. I’ll give a few quick answers here, and then if there are more questions, please feel welcome to call or email me directly, or post them up here in the forum.

First, Whirl Wind has two divisions. Whirl Wind Aviation (WWA) is our constant-speed propeller division, and Whirl Wind Propellers Corporation (WWPC) is our ground-adjustable propeller division. All propellers from WWA and WWPC are experimental category only.

WWPC offers several engine specific ground-adjustable propeller options for both LSA and STOL type aircraft. For Super Cub type aircraft powered by Lycoming 320 / 360 (based) engines, we offer the GA200L-STOL ground-adjustable propeller. The GA200L-STOL is available in diameters from 82” down to 76”, with bolt sizes of ½”, 7/16”, or 3/8”

You can view the GA200L-STOL propeller on our website here, but I am not able to post the link in this thread for some reason.

The price of the GA200L-STOL in any of the above diameters is currently $2950 USD (includes the hub, blades and hardware). We offer an optional 12” Cub style spinner that is trimmed, fitted, and ready to fly. The 12” spinner comes in either a white primer coat, ready for paint $335 USD or a gloss carbon finish $356. Lead-times runs about 1 week.

WWA offers many great constant-speed propeller options, as well as one ground-adjustable option for Lycoming 360 powered STOL type aircraft, the 200G and the 210G. These are based on the constant-speed propeller hub.

Sincerely,
-Patti
Whirl Wind Propellers
"Leaders in Propeller Performance Technology"
619-562-3725

GA200L-STOL-82-b.JPG

Attachments

• GA200L-STOL-82-a.JPG
    GA200L-STOL-82-a.JPG
    443.8 KB · Views: 166
  • GA200L-STOL-82-b.JPG
    GA200L-STOL-82-b.JPG
    400.9 KB · Views: 240
Patty
I have a GA200L-82 Propeller with O320 A2B Lyc engine and EFII single electronic ignition system.
WWPC instructions manual recomend 20-24 degree blade pitch for RVs airplanes but not for Cubs.
With the brakes on, static full throttle rpm should be 2500-2600 for supercubs, and shouldn´t overspeed the Propeller – Max RPM 2700
In my case, how many degrees do you recomend to better performance with my power configuration?
Could you share in this forum, other users experience with WWPC stol prop?
Tks
FD from Argentina, SA

Patty
I have a GA200L-82 Propeller with O320 A2B Lyc engine and EFII single electronic ignition system.
WWPC instructions manual recomend 20-24 degree blade pitch for RVs airplanes but not for Cubs.
With the brakes on, static full throttle rpm should be 2500-2600 for supercubs, and shouldn´t overspeed the Propeller – Max RPM 2700
In my case, how many degrees do you recomend to better performance with my power configuration?
Could you share in this forum, other users experience with WWPC stol prop?
Tks
FD from Argentina, SA

Hello Ivgbr,

For an O-320 engine and the 82" GA200L-STOL propeller, the blade angle should be approximately 14 to 15 degrees, using the pitch paddle tool supplied with the propeller. Every engine is a little different, but this is a good starting angle.

Sincerely,
Patti

Patti
Tested today
PA18 with O320 A2B (150hp)
With 82" GA200L-STOL propeller
Brakes ON, full throttle, static RPM:
Pitch 13° RPM 2240
Pitch 14.5° RPM 2100

In both cases, on flight will reach 2500 / 2600 RPM?
Correct?
Tks for support.

FD from Argentina

With an "angle cube" (guts of a digital level) you can change pitch anywhere. Before angle cubes I would remove the prop, put it on a table and use a selection of aluminum wedges. Now I don't bother to remove the prop or even level the fuselage too closely, it doesn't matter. If you want a change in RPM, make a change in pitch. Just measure and average the existing angles first. You don't need to level the blade you're working on too closely either. Just find a stick to bring the blade down to so they are the same. If someone asks about absolute numbers, only then fuse and blade must be leveled. I've used this method on Powerfin and GSC, just ordered a Whirlwind.

Bump

A lot has evolved in two years. Updated?

How are folks like the GA vs Constant speed WW (Ohio)?

Love my Catto but I'm just not getting the rpm. Seems like the constant speed is the way to go for me.
The 80' WW prop seems like I'm going to add 26lbs on the nose. That's what I keep coming up with for new weight.

Any thoughts to this? The BCSC Rev2 has a heavier tail and it's 18" longer. The extra weight up front may not be a bad thing. Will see

AKT

How are folks like the GA vs Constant speed WW (Ohio)?

Any thoughts to this? The BCSC Rev2 has a heavier tail and it's 18" longer. The extra weight up front may not be a bad thing. Will see

AKT
I love the 200G ground adjustable WW on a 180 hp IO-360. It is a powerful puller when set at low pitch, and a high cruiser when set at a higher pitch. It is easy to change the pitch with a couple of supplied allen wrenches. If I could install a governor in my plane I would use the constant speed version. The engine will take the governor, there is some tubing in the fuselage which is in the way in my fuselage. If your fuselage has the standard Piper location for the tubing behind the firewall you should be good to go. Alternatively if you need to get your engine anyway, get one which mounts the governor on the forward part of the crankcase. I tried an Aeromatic which would turn up 2700 on take off. It was no better than the WW which was only turning 2400. Top speeds were the same. It's the shape of the blades which supply the performance. You can also feel the drag when the throttle is closed.

Kevin,

you already know the go-to prop for most guys with planes similar to yours is the WWA 200A constant speed. Compared to WWA Ohio's ground adjustable it's the same weight and essentially the same price other than $1100.00 for a governor, assuming you have a hollow crank and provisions to install a governor. Whirlwind Propellor in California makes the much lighter and less expensive ground adjustable prop but that's a very different animal. You need to define which Whirl Wind division you're talking about. You should talk to a WWA engineer about your application. Little things like HP output, displacement, compression ratio, and counter balanced crank or not make a difference.

SB

I can't wait to give this one a spin. ;)

023ae6d355642f3a1e7864d9b715e2dd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I love the 200G ground adjustable WW on a 180 hp IO-360. It is a powerful puller when set at low pitch, and a high cruiser when set at a higher pitch. It is easy to change the pitch with a couple of supplied allen wrenches. If I could install a governor in my plane I would use the constant speed version. The engine will take the governor, there is some tubing in the fuselage which is in the way in my fuselage. If your fuselage has the standard Piper location for the tubing behind the firewall you should be good to go. Alternatively if you need to get your engine anyway, get one which mounts the governor on the forward part of the crankcase. I tried an Aeromatic which would turn up 2700 on take off. It was no better than the WW which was only turning 2400. Top speeds were the same. It's the shape of the blades which supply the performance. You can also feel the drag when the throttle is closed.

why not just use a ski pump & valve to adjust it from inside cabin? ya, i know it would not be perfect/follow power, but it would get the job done... governors just a oil pump....

Mike,
I had thought of cutting the fly weight portion off the top of a governor to make it fit. Then using a lever to move the pilot valve. The governor which I have didn't lend itself to that very well. I also thought of a control valve such as is used on the following prop. A similar prop is approved on the PA-12 TC which I have flown. It was a good prop until it was AD noted out of existence.
TC P-869 Sensenich model CS-3F
NOTE 3. Pitch Control. (1) Eligible with Sensenich hydro-control valve Model L-2160 with propeller when installed on Lycoming O-235-C1 or O-290-D engine and Model F-2164 when installed on Franklin 6A4-165 engine.(Constant speed feature with governor, although approved, was never incorporated).

Mike,
I had thought of cutting the fly weight portion off the top of a governor to make it fit. Then using a lever to move the pilot valve. The governor which I have didn't lend itself to that very well. I also thought of a control valve such as is used on the following prop. A similar prop is approved on the PA-12 TC which I have flown. It was a good prop until it was AD noted out of existence.
TC P-869 Sensenich model CS-3F
NOTE 3. Pitch Control. (1) Eligible with Sensenich hydro-control valve Model L-2160 with propeller when installed on Lycoming O-235-C1 or O-290-D engine and Model F-2164 when installed on Franklin 6A4-165 engine.(Constant speed feature with governor, although approved, was never incorporated).

probably a simple thing to make these days... your garmin? or such unit, KNOWS RPM, MP etc.. couple an Aux channel off it, to a generic Servo electric motor controller thats running the oil pump... no need for mechanical pump/feedback...

I like the way you think outside the box Mike. This airplane has minimal electric instruments without any electric generating device. I don't think that it would be a good idea to have an electric oil pump in this system. The electric fuel pump is only used to prime for starting and for an emergency should the mechanical pump fail. If the WW prop will change pitch on just engine oil pressure and blade twisting moment, then a simple modulating valve ought to work. At the moment this project is low on my priority list. With the ground adjustable set at an intermediate setting the Cub will clear a 50 foot tree in 600 feet out of the water (on a good day). Though with the ability to change pitch in flight the rate of climb could be as much as 600 feet per minute higher and the cruise speed would be about 12-15 mph higher with the corresponding increase in fuel flow.

Maximum effort for minimum return. You'd be better off with a governor and the constant speed benefits it provides.

That is true Stewart except that the tubing behind my firewall is in the way. I checked it out before I ordered the 200G. The governor mounts on the accessory case and requires cutting a hole in the firewall. As I recall from your photos, your governor mounts on the forward crankcase?

The governor I got from WWA is smaller than those I've had on other planes. I'm not where I can verify size but in my memory the governor is smaller than the alternator on my accessory case. But yes, my engine has a governor mount up front.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Stewart,
The governor is not the entire issue. There is also a drive assembly which goes on the accessory case between the governor and the case. If this drive wasn't needed perhaps the governor would fit. Unfortunately they are a package. In your case the drive assembly is part of your crankcase. I'm not even certain that your drive was an option on the four cylinder engines when mine was built? That drive first appeared on the six cylinder engines. Unfortunately when Backcountry built my fuselage they placed the tubing in the fuselage behind the firewall in an X shape instead of the standard V. I wish that they had not. This was just enough to line the tubing up with the governor preventing me from enjoying the advantages of the constant speed prop.

Stewart,
The governor is not the entire issue. There is also a drive assembly which goes on the accessory case between the governor and the case. If this drive wasn't needed perhaps the governor would fit. Unfortunately they are a package. In your case the drive assembly is part of your crankcase. I'm not even certain that your drive was an option on the four cylinder engines when mine was built? That drive first appeared on the six cylinder engines. Unfortunately when Backcountry built my fuselage they placed the tubing in the fuselage behind the firewall in an X shape instead of the standard V. I wish that they had not. This was just enough to line the tubing up with the governor preventing me from enjoying the advantages of the constant speed prop.

Simpilist fix, yank engine and dog leg the tube(s)?? Or longer engine mount if CG can stand it.

Can a person run one off a vac pump pad? And plumb it where it needs to go?

Yes Mike, That could work. In this case the airplane was intended to be an experimental quick assembly Super Cub. I've spent my life modifying and repairing, this one was to be an assembly job to get me a Cub as quick as possible so that I could enjoy flying it rather than working on it. Being 76 years young I just want to fly, not lighting torches and twisting wrenches.

Running it on a vacuum pump drive would require the oil passages to be able to match up with the governor adapter. Without checking, I don't think that is possible. That location may conflict with the top cross tube? There is an adapter to run both a vacuum pump and a hydraulic pump on the vac pump pad.

Hello I just bought the ground adjustable whirlwind for my back country 180hp cub. It has 31’s on it and was hoping someone can suggest a good (degree) to set the blades? Any help would be appreciated
thanks !

Back