• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Throttle cable, mixture cable?

BritishCubBloke

SPONSOR
Bellingen, NSW, Australia
My Cub's arriving in Australia next week in a container. An aileron cable is a bit frayed and the cables are all 18 years old now, so I'm going to replace all the control cables while it is broken down. Should I go ahead and replace throttle and mixture cables while I am at it?

Anything else I should absolutely do as a matter of routine replacement maintenance at this point? Last rebuild 1996 and I am not clear what was actually replaced with new parts then.

Cheers,

David

I would do new hose for the fuel system in the wing roots, you probably will have easy access as it is probably shipped with the wings off?

Also if it has a newer fuel selector (not the brass cone type but something with O-rings) put new o-rings in the fuel selector as they usually dry out and will leak if it has had the fuel drained out of it for shipping.

Hard to believe 1996 was 18 years ago...

David what are you doing in Australia did you guys move?

Change um..! Change them all...!

Worn and broken cables, and old fuel / oil hoses will ruin your day.

I would leave the throttle cable. If you decide to replace it I will buy it. I don't believe the replacements are as good a quality as the originals. I agree on fuel and oil hoses especially on the late models the way the oil lines are run between the crankcase and the intake tubes. My experience with the fuel valve is that once fuel is in them for a while they seal up.

I got a quick, cheap annual that is turning into very long and expensive. I dropped the glass gascolator bowl so ordered a new Steve’s. We had to swing the engine to mount it. The IA thought it would be fine but, first flight I lost the tach. Ordered and installed a new tach cable. Next flight lost the mixture, that cable is on order. The IA thought the tso’d mixture cables were too expensive so ordered a cheaper pma’d one. That should be ok, shouldn’t it? I’m not super worried about the mixture. I am worried about the throttle cable. With all the stretched cables failing, it’s the one that scares me. I don’t want to reduce power to drag a snow covered lake or mountain strip and have that fail. I see SP said the old throttle cables are tougher than new ones though. I can get a used old one that was operating well at removal, buy new or hope the one I have is fine. Any words of wisdom?

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

To swing the engine on a Super Cub all you should have to unhook is the tach cable. Never seen a glass gascolator bowl on a Super Cub either. I do have to remove the bowl and twist around to get a Steve's in but don't remember having to swing the engine. How much did you pull on the throttle cable? I would think if you put much tension on it you would bend the arm that holds the throttle cable to the engine mount before damaging the cable. Did the mixture cable break? It is a thin wire where the throttle cable is a cable.

To swing the engine on a Super Cub all you should have to unhook is the tach cable. Never seen a glass gascolator bowl on a Super Cub either. I do have to remove the bowl and twist around to get a Steve's in but don't remember having to swing the engine. How much did you pull on the throttle cable? I would think if you put much tension on it you would bend the arm that holds the throttle cable to the engine mount before damaging the cable. Did the mixture cable break? It is a thin wire where the throttle cable is a cable.

He probably bent the stud sticking out of the firewall. Not sure how I would know that :oops:

I have seen where they swung the mount without removing tach cable, it had enough slack to pull out then make a hard bend when engine swung back. The IA could not figure out why engine did not make RPM, once cable broke and replaced engine power came back.:oops: That one was not me but I have seen it.
DENNY

I have seen where they swung the mount without removing tach cable, it had enough slack to pull out then make a hard bend when engine swung back. The IA could not figure out why engine did not make RPM, once cable broke and replaced engine power came back.:oops: That one was not me but I have seen it.
DENNY

I think it was the hard bend when the engine went back that broke the tach cable. I wasn’t there for the mixture cable failure. Neither one of those are much of a problem, but a throttle failure could get me in trouble.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

The glass might have been rare, but I liked being able to see in. The gascolator was close to the engine mount. I don’t know if the engine needed to swing or not. He removed the bracket and installed it. I didn’t like that so I went back and reinstalled with the bracket, and I didn’t swing the engine. Steve’s gascolator is working great. I’m happy with it...just engine control cable problems now. I’m probably stressing needlessly, I don’t like to throw money away but I do like to go places where a failure would be a big problem.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I got a quick, cheap annual that is turning into very long and expensive. I dropped the glass gascolator bowl so ordered a new Steve’s. We had to swing the engine to mount it. The IA thought it would be fine but, first flight I lost the tach. Ordered and installed a new tach cable. Next flight lost the mixture, that cable is on order. The IA thought the tso’d mixture cables were too expensive so ordered a cheaper pma’d one. That should be ok, shouldn’t it? I’m not super worried about the mixture. I am worried about the throttle cable. With all the stretched cables failing, it’s the one that scares me. I don’t want to reduce power to drag a snow covered lake or mountain strip and have that fail. I see SP said the old throttle cables are tougher than new ones though. I can get a used old one that was operating well at removal, buy new or hope the one I have is fine. Any words of wisdom?

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Someone isn’t giving you the right story. There is no such thing as a TSO cable. They are either from the original TC holder or they are PMA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back