Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Just thinking outside the box...

Post Thanks / Like

Just thinking outside the box...

Feeding cows this morning, I got to wondering if a twist throttle on your control stick would work on a cub. It would weigh less, eliminate the problem of where to put the throttle with a two door set-up, and be pretty simple. You could just run the cable down to the floorboard, forward to the firewall, through the firewall to the carb. A nylon friction plate could be fabricated onto the throttle so it would stay put and not recoil back to the idle position. Somebody more educated than I tell me that this won't work or else I might end up wasting a bunch of time trying it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1934A View Post
    Feeding cows this morning, I got to wondering if a twist throttle on your control stick would work on a cub. It would weigh less, eliminate the problem of where to put the throttle with a two door set-up, and be pretty simple. You could just run the cable down to the floorboard, forward to the firewall, through the firewall to the carb. A nylon friction plate could be fabricated onto the throttle so it would stay put and not recoil back to the idle position. Somebody more educated than I tell me that this won't work or else I might end up wasting a bunch of time trying it.
    Not a bad idea, but will need more than just cable. You have the twist throttle in the collective in helicopters, the only thing I would do differently so you don't have a constant flexing motion in cable at the root if the stick is to develop a geared torsion arm in the stick, this in turn acts upon a bellcrank that has a cable, thus you do away with possible snags/chafing and more importantly a fixed throttle setting regardless of position of stick.

The cable assembly (the outer sheath) on aircraft is generally rigidly mounted to airframe in some way, to ensure rigging and eliminate wear.

I would suggest finding an old collective assembly for a recip and gutting that, start there at least.

Then apply for an STC so you can sell this to owners of certificated aircraft

Cheers
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    My take is that such a modification (should the FAA not just pinch your head off just for thinking) has the potential of causing excessive vibration which would then result in the wing becoming dislodged thus flinging all around the axis of the craft resulting in the creation of “specific location dust” which would be satellite detected and following a ridiculous amount of study the EPA will likely mistake alternative throttled flying machine for that climate-changing hazard of farming and then go well beyond their authority trying to stop it thus ultimately resulting in a world-wide food shortage… all for the desire to twist and varoom.

OC

ps. Why yes I deal with regulators for a living and it hasn't been a real great few days.
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 04-03-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two doors on my Rans S-7, and the throttle falls right to (my left) hand, just right just a little lower and further forward then a Cub but not awkward at all.... I'm not sure any weight savings would be worth the R & D, and I'm pretty fanatical about weight

Post Thanks / Like
    In a moment of panic you're not going to forget and try to get power from your left hand are you? Serious question.

I also worry about the ergonomics. In a shear or turbulence situation close to the ground where you're trying to jam in full aileron as well as pitch in one direction or the other, will you be able to twist the stick grip at the same time?

Just trying to cover bases for you. I like your out of the box thinking!

Post Thanks / Like
    I also wondered if it would be awkward, ergonomically. I think that a person would about have to mock up a "dummy model" and try it out to know for sure. As to the cable flexing at the base of the stick, if it were clamped to the floorboard and firewall, I don't really see how it would be any different than the throttle cable on a motorcycle where the handlebars rotate around the frame.

The out of the box thinking might just be a result of seven months of winter!

Post Thanks / Like
    What OLDCROW said... love it, still laughing

Post Thanks / Like
    GREEN GRASS will be here soon....!! then you won't be incline to think of such things... as you'll be thinking about getting the bulls turned out. and fencing. ect....

BTW, what ya gonna do with your left hand....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a new idea. Most German airplanes from WWI had an Auxiliary throttle on the control stick. I make fully functional replicas for builders of Fokker DVII and Triplanes.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is always a good idea to think outside the box. I do it a lot. Often times the thought is abandoned, sometimes it is not. Thinking outside the box is the birthplace of innovation.

Which direction do you propose to twist the throttle to increase/decrease power? I had trouble with the throttle when learning to fly a helicopter. Because the helicopter throttle turns in the opposite direction than a motorcycle throttle. With that in mind, which hand will you be using to fly the plane, left or right? The decision to fly with the left or right hand is usually determined by the throttle location in the airplane. With the throttle on the stick, the wrist action will be opposite for the left and right hand. How will you keep the throttle from constantly changing while flying in rough air? Your hand moving the stick will be constantly trying to change the throttle position. The collective on a helicopter is moved very little and is coordinated with throttle movement through your arm and wrist motion.

I do not see where there would be much, if any, weight advantage. Also, do you plan on eliminating the throttle for the back seater?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Your idea makes me think of the older kick start Harley Davidsons with the throttle in the right grip and the spark advance in the left grip. Neither side was spring loaded and mostly stayed where set so no friction knob was needed. And the push-pull cable, one cable per side, entered the handlebar near the triple tree so it was a pretty clean installation with no cables hanging from the grip. The cable moving mechanism was a simple corkscrew affair hidden in the handlebar tube and I don't remember one ever failing unless ripped up in a crash. Both twisted toward the rider so if you stood them vertical, one turned left, the other right. jrh

Post Thanks / Like
    When I think back to my dirt bike and quadracer days I recall much more violent rides than my airplanes have offered and I never had a problem with twist throttles on those. Personally I wouldn't pursue a twist throttle on a stick because a rarely grasp a stick like I'd need to for controlling a twist throttle. Such a grip is exactly how I hold onto a motorcycle.