• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Do 31's help the airframe

SamP45

Pennsylvania
I have 26" good years on my 12. They seem to transfer a rough field landing to my seat and the airframe...a bit rough.

I don't need 31's for the off field sort of thing I do, but I am wondering about the benefits of the 31" tires taking the punch verses the airframe?

Is this correct thinking or do I have a stiff kink in my think?

Thanks.

I just put some 29s on my 12, up from 8.50s, and I think there's a huge difference in the amount of bump the tires absorb versus what is transferred through the airframe to my seat. (not that I ever bounce my landings or anything...:roll:).

IMAG1202.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG1202.jpg
    IMAG1202.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 208
I've had 8.50's, Goodyear 26" and 31" on my -12 and there's no question that the 31" give more shock absorption than the other two tire sizes did on rough airstrips. Probably at least as important is to keep the tail up on the rollout to keep from bending the tail (ask me how I know!).
windy

No argument here, there is a big change going to the 31's. Make sure you run them with low enough pressure to get the most out of them though. Also, like Windy said, keep the tail up.

The only time I think they hurt the airframe is when you let their ego take you places that your egos not ready for.

Glenn

i've had 8.50's, goodyear 26" and 31" on my -12 and there's no question that the 31" give more shock absorption than the other two tire sizes did on rough airstrips. Probably at least as important is to keep the tail up on the rollout to keep from bending the tail (ask me how i know!).
Windy

learning here. Is it more important to keep the tail up with the 31's than it is with the 26 or smaller tires? Can you explain?

Better to keep the tail up period, less wear and tear back there and you can see what you might hit and avoid it

8.5's to 29".....Big Difference!!!! I don't do "The Long Prop Big Rock" stuff but landing pastures and hayfield... no way will I go back :)

No question.. Big tires are like Big Screen TV.. Bigger is always better..
Easier on the airframe?? Naw, ya just step up to rougher places to land.. haha..
But they sure put the fun back in flyin again...

These guys are crazy. 31's are the worst thing you could do to the plane. If you have them, I would take them off immediately and send them to :

Hangar #18
Willows-Glenn co. airport
Willows, CA. 95988

They will be properly disposed of. Also send talc.

Careful - - Ford guy puttin' forth that Willows suggestion - - -

I agree with Pops. Kinda like buying your first 4WD pickup - gotta see how much mud or snow it can go in, and ultimately find out how much can't go in!

Pops is right about 31s expanding your operating environment. -- Gordon, isn't it time to get in your Dodge and head off for another psychotherapy session?

Back