• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aerial seeding?

cgoldy

Moogerah Queensland Australia
I want to throw out some small seeds on my hill country. I have done it before with my son hanging out the door with a 25 KG bag of seed on his lap. There must be a better way. Anyone have any ideas???

I use to fog seed up here in Anchorage in a twin commander in the winter. We would grind up dry ice and put it in 5 gal buckets then go fly a grid pattern above the fog and use a scoop to dump the granulated dry ice though a funnel with a hose connected and it was routed to the belly. Don't know if this helps but it sure beats the idea of having to come back to tell mom where the boy fell.

For spot seeding, make up paper seed bags and rip them open as you toss 'em... I'm told it works well, as someone once told me.

I want to throw out some small seeds on my hill country. I have done it before with my son hanging out the door with a 25 KG bag of seed on his lap. There must be a better way. Anyone have any ideas???

Hmmm,,, harvesting what those seeds grow could be tough going.... as I've been told, sittin here on my sack of seeds, that you need grow lights and irrigation..... just sayin.....

Have I got the set up for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Original super cub spreader for seed or fertilizer. Cut a couple holes in the floor make a little tank in the back seat and you are set to go. Or you could just do like you were doing and like many of us have over the years, Just dump it out the door !!!

The hard part was buying Johnson Grass seed, tossing it out over SteveE's was the easy part:wink:

I sure hope that doesn't happen in your new yard....or all over Sharps new runway.... Lespedeza I hear is a menace....

How about trailing a vacuum cleaner hose out the window, and siphonng the seed out of the bag with it. Heard of people scattering cremains this way & it sounded like it worked OK-- oughta work fine with grass seed too.

Thread bump

Still looking for good ideas. Vacuume tube sounds promising. Anyone have any idea how the prop wash / wing tip vortices would work in spreading the seed?

Prop wash will make it go left to some degree, tip vorticies are too far away to have any effect. The seed will be way too far below the airplane. If you'd have done this when you started the thread, you'd be a pot baron by now. Probably have a whole hangar full of Cubs.

Hmmm,,, harvesting what those seeds grow could be tough going.... as I've been told, sittin here on my sack of seeds, that you need grow lights and irrigation..... just sayin.....

Need irrigation in your neighborhood? Must have really dried out from the floods

The hose out the window is the way to go....good suction is provided and not messy at all, you’ll get a good spread but not sure how wide it will be....

Used the hose method for sucking horse fly’s out of the helicopter while flying loaded patrols. Every time you land up here you end up with 500 of em in the helicopter. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I used a piece of 2 inch pvc taped to lift struts with a pull plug in the bottom to spread acorns in some of my places I hoped oaks would grow. only thing is its a one shot deal per tube but it looks really neat to see the trail of acorns behind you.

I have spread people’s ashes by taking a large tube 4’ long and plug one end and making a plug with A wood dowel to push it out. Like a big syringe. First time I just tried to dump them out the window and half of them came back in the cabin. Works good,gets it out in the slip stream . You could make the “syringe” as big as you can handle.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Had the same challenge spreading ashes from the Cub without a hose or tube. Traumatic especially if family onboard.

I used to drop small fish into remote lakes with a RV sewer hose attached to a 70 gallon holding tank. Ran it out the Cessna baggage door and with flaps down flying 70 at 500' they slowed and dropped vertical into the water. Well most did if the lake was large enough and the lead right. The airflow would suck them out real quick.

Gary

Back