• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska to Texas - bringing the SQ-2 home

B

Barnstormer

In a little over a week (first week of April) I'll be bringing my new (to me) SQ-2 from Alaska down home to Texas. I've never flown a plane to or from Alaska. Route to the lower America's will be from Wasilla to Tok to Whitehorse to Fort Nelson to Grande Prairie to Ross Intl, and all points in-between. I am flying with someone who has done this a bunch before, but any tips/pointers/etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Oh, don't tell Goza. I want him to think I'm smarter then I really am once you guys impart your wisdom to me. ;-)

Thanks

Gonna be hard for him to swerve from the back seat :-; but I know what you mean!

If you have an IPad, get Foreflight for Canada. It has VNC charts, Sectionals, cheaper than buying paper and lots better too. Also get the Eapis app, best way to handle the border crossing. Tok has wifi in the FBO. Same at Lethbridge if you cross into the lower 48 there.

Gary, I do have Foreflight and the VNC charts, but was unaware there was an eapis app, and that Tok had wifi, thanks.

I'll be flying that basically the same route (Wasilla, AK, crossing at either Cutbank or Whetstone then on to Brigham City, UT) the first of May. I've never done it but have been doing lots of research and preperation. This is a good start: aopa.org/Flight-Planning/Canada.aspx I also have lots of other info, FBO fuel contacts, Nav Logs, an AOPA cross border Ops manual, ect. If your interested PM or email me. Dave

I doubt that you will get this far west but if you do, please stop by. Coffee pot is always on, the chow is good and there is a place to bunk. I'm crazy Gene's neighbor to the north. We are just pulling fuse cover on the WB with QS2 front end, it would be interesting to look at yours if time permitted.

Let me know if you guys are planning to stop in Douglas. I may fly over and meet you. We've got room in the hangar here too, if you're coming down the western side of Wyoming.

Does the Alaska Airmen's Association still put out its "Logbook" guide to flying to Alaska? That was/(is?) a very helpful publication.

Does the Alaska Airmen's Association still put out its "Logbook" guide to flying to Alaska? That was/(is?) a very helpful publication.
I haven't seen a copy in several years. You can sometimes find them on Amazon or Ebay, but be prepared for sticker shock. I've seen used copies advertised for over $300. I loaned my copy out several years ago and never got it back -maybe the borrower sold it when he found what it was worth. Don Bowers ( the original author) was working on an update when he was killed in a crash. Don't know if the association ever completed an update.

Phil Goza will show you how to do Dutch rolls from Alaska to Texas he told me that's the way to figure out a new plane!!!! mikeo

If you need to stop in Fort St John BC, give me a shout, have room at house, park my cub at a private strip and 180 is at the airport. Dieter

I'm south of Pocatello about 15 miles, got a couple spare cars, and may have one of the more amusing strips on your route. 400', uphill, 5460' asl, clear approaches, short but narrow! Put that new bird to work doing what it does best!

Phil Goza will show you how to do Dutch rolls from Alaska to Texas he told me that's the way to figure out a new plane!!!! mikeo

That's great! Every time I try and do Dutch rolls they turn out missing the Dutch part, and people on the ground think I'm about to crash!

courierguy
gntw
soyAnarchisto
RanchPilot
dougsappllc

Thanks for your offers, I'll PM you guys.

Phil the reason they call them Dutch rolls "GOZA " invented them!!!! Airline Pilot "DUTCH" mikeo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto for me. Dont have hangar space but I can offer a warm bed if you guys end up over nighting in Whitehorse. PM me or better yet gimme a call 867-333-9485. If nothin else can have supper and/or a beer.

Weather has been clear on the coast, and warm the last couple of weeks, but looks like it will go back to storms now.

If you get stuck near Haines, call: (907) 767-5589. It trapped in Haines Junction call anyway, couple hour drive is all.
We have some rooms open right now.

Beware. Heading down the coast you may get an invitation to stay with a guy in a skirt ... ohoh too late

;)

Last edited:
Phil,

You probably already know this but….. Don't cross the border on a temporary registration (pink copy). You must have permenant registration, not temporary. Have fun and don't push the weather.

Kurt

Remember not to put your Canadian cash in your passport prior to the trip and then forget to take it out before handing it to the Customs agent. Tends to result in some raised eyebrows...

Are you on your way yet? If so, update us on your progress when you can.

Hi all. We left Wasilla Monday morning, got held up for three quarters of a day in Alberta because of snowing. We made Wayne Mackey's yesterday late afternoon (the SQ-12 looks great, a family of four would fit in the baggage compartment), this morning we changed the oil and tweaked a wing strut to get rid of a left turn tendency. Shortly after lunch Randy kicked me out of the nest (he's ferrying the 12 back to Anchorage soon). I sit tonight in Yuma Colorado. If I'm lucky I make home before sunset tomorrow, if the winds are not too bad. Once I'm back I'll post some pictures and tell you more about the trip. This is the first "Super Cub" I've ever flown and what a blast I'm having!

Back