• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Steve Lewis - Were you involved in this rescue?

Steve was flying the Jet Ranger last night, I heard his name mentioned on the news. Good article on the Johnson City Press website this morning. I can't paste the url.

Last edited:
Looks like Steve's horses would have been useful for transporting the patients and rescue gear. No need for a Cat dozer! :)

Yes, indeed, it was our very own Steve Bob Lewis, the dandy from the Elizabethton Municipal Airport!

Randy the shooter

MY crew and I were able to find the downed aircraft very quickly due to the good coordinates from Carter County EMS and our Comm Center. The crash was about 3 miles from the 0A9 airport where we are based so flight time was very short. The RN in the back right seat actually spotted the wreckage as we went overhead then guided me back into position over the scene. It got dark enough within 10 minutes that we transitioned to Night Vision Goggles almost immediately. After picking up the EMS Director, we stayed overhead, directing the ground team to the crash. It took them about two hours to gain access to the crash site through very rough, mountainous terrain.

It took additional ground personnel from several agencies another four hours to cut their way into the scene, treat the three people for their injuries and then transport them to an LZ. We picked up two of the three and flew them to the nearest Level 1 Trauma Center. The crash happened at 1930, we found them at 1950 and by 0345 everyone was at the hospital fro treatment.

Steve

Back