• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Support the Third Class Medical Legislation

I have now been asked to brief a Very Senior Senator (not Angus King, he's still stuck on "staffer stupid") on the Third Class Medical issue. I need actual facts, stats and the very best articles/briefing sheets from AOPA, etc. on this matter. Any input /references/authoritative cites would be greatly appreciated as I prep the brief. This is a unique opportunity for all of us to gain a very powerful ally in our cause.

JP

May 16, 2014

Mr. David Allen
2 Buttercup Lane
Hancock, ME 04640-3126

Dear Mr. Allen,

Thank you for contacting me in support of S. 2103, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act. I appreciate your taking the time to do so.

As the senior Republican on the Transportation Appropriations Subcommittee, I am focused on the regulatory burdens on our transportation industry and the need for common sense approaches that maintain safety. S. 2103, as you are aware, would amend the medical certificate requirement for recreational pilots. Currently, recreational pilots must receive a medical certificate in order to fly.

This bill would allow recreational pilots to fly without this certificate, using their driver's license as a way to fill the requirement, as long as their flights meet certain criteria. This proposed bill has been referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation. While I do not sit on this committee of jurisdiction, I will benefit from knowing your views should this legislation come before the full Senate for consideration.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Susan M. Collins
United States Senator

It appears that the FAA is doing their own survey on this issue.

I received an invitation (randomly selected) to participate in an evaluation survey of our medical certification services.
I should have copied the survey questions prior to completing it online as I can no longer access the form but to the best of my recollection it includes...

Random questions about my last medical evaluation processes. Did the AME ask for certain documents. Did you receive a through physical... (asked if you had to remove any articles of clothing).
Did he review the forms with me etc etc.

The part that I found the most interesting was a question directed at the process itself and "Does the medical evaluation process work to increase the safety of the aerospace system?" (words to that effect) It gave the usual answer options but the last one on the list was "not at all". (My pick; as I was referencing the third class medical)

When selected it then takes you to another page and asks why you selected that comment; and they give plenty of space to reply.

The closing questions again asked if you want to make any comments and I repeated a few referencing the AOPA efforts and the pending bill in congress.

If you get one of these survey requests don't trash it; but please take time to give them your thoughts. It may make a difference.

Thanks for the heads up.

My office was just site visited last week to see if we met standards, and we do. I am concerned, however, about the questions that you are being asked on the survey, as they can contribute to your AME being hung out to dry. The FAA watches our every move, as AME's. Personally, I have been concerned that my proactive stance with regard to doing away with the 3rd Class medical might jeopardize my ability to "serve at the pleasure of the Federal Air Surgeon".

Randy

I have worried about that in your case also but:
"In for a penny, in for a pound" and I have to admit all the years I worked for and around the government I didn't have the guts to ever speak out. It takes character to take the stand you have while still active within the system! Only those who have been on the inside of the bureaucracy can understand how wasteful and self serving it has become and most of the time they can't admit it to themselves.

How many months ago did we send Emails to all of our Senators and Reps? Well I got an answer from our Faux Indian senior senator today. I suspect that she doesn't know that she sent it to me.

Dear Peter,
Thank you for contacting me to express your support for S.2103, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act of 2013.
This legislation, introduced by my colleague Sen. John Boozman (R-AR), would direct the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to relax certain medical certification requirements for the pilots of qualified small, lightweight aircraft.
General aviation is important to the success of airports across Massachusetts, and I appreciate your concern that the current safety requirements may impose significant costs for the pilots of small aircraft. In April 2014, the FAA initiated a rulemaking process to review these requirements. I am pleased that the FAA is taking a closer look at this issue and am confident that the agency will draw on sound data and reliable expertise to reach a decision that is in the best interest of public safety and everyone who flies.

I appreciate your reaching out to my office about this issue, and I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind as the FAA continues its rulemaking process.

Sincerely,
17323324c89225be475c82c036702cd0

Elizabeth Warren
United States Senator

Washington, DC
317 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: 202-224-4543
Boston, MA
2400 JFK Federal Building
15 New Sudbury Street
Boston, MA 02203
Phone: 617-565-3170
Springfield, MA
1550 Main Street
Suite 406
Springfield, MA 01103
Phone: 413-788-2690

Your observations are factually correct. And your facts about the 3rd Class medical are likely correct.

The reality on the ground is far different. Being a politician with the ability to make law is only about one purpose: the power to control how much and to whom money goes, period. And money goes directly to the constituencies who share your view of the world and will vote to keep you in power.

How does this relate to flying?

Simple--your privilege to operate an airplane is viewed by an ever increasing number of people as an inimical, elitist activity fueled by wealth that you have unfairly taken from others. Those who share this view have been promised that in exchange for a vote to place someone in power this inequality will be addressed and the wealth properly and fairly redistributed. In fact, there is an entire political faction that is devoted--slavishly--to this philosophy and won the electoral college, handily, twice in a row. It is now the majority view.

Social scientists, demographers and political scientist have all put forth studies portraying this as the way our country is inevitably headed and/or has arrived. You be the judge.
Hi JP--=eloquent and articulate----reflects my sentiments---Rush would be proud of you---John Fleurent

How many months ago did we send Emails to all of our Senators and Reps? Well I got an answer from our Faux Indian senior senator today. I suspect that she doesn't know that she sent it to me.

Dear Peter,
Thank you for contacting me to express your support for S.2103, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act of 2013.
This legislation, introduced by my colleague Sen. John Boozman (R-AR), would direct the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to relax certain medical certification requirements for the pilots of qualified small, lightweight aircraft.
General aviation is important to the success of airports across Massachusetts, and I appreciate your concern that the current safety requirements may impose significant costs for the pilots of small aircraft. In April 2014, the FAA initiated a rulemaking process to review these requirements. I am pleased that the FAA is taking a closer look at this issue and am confident that the agency will draw on sound data and reliable expertise to reach a decision that is in the best interest of public safety and everyone who flies.

I appreciate your reaching out to my office about this issue, and I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind as the FAA continues its rulemaking process.

Sincerely,
17323324c89225be475c82c036702cd0

Elizabeth Warren
United States Senator

Washington, DC
317 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Phone: 202-224-4543
Boston, MA
2400 JFK Federal Building
15 New Sudbury Street
Boston, MA 02203
Phone: 617-565-3170
Springfield, MA
1550 Main Street
Suite 406
Springfield, MA 01103
Phone: 413-788-2690

She say she check with medicine man, Big Chief Thunder Cloud. Him not sure yet. When him decide after many moons and vision quests, she say she agree with him. hm.

Back