• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Buying a Super Cub (Mission, notes, specs included)

Drewch

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I'm just beginning my search for a Super Cub. I am hoping I can find the right one for me within 2-10 months. I just wanted to say what my goals with the plane are, and the specs of the plane I am looking for, and get your opinion on if I am looking for the right thing, or if there's something I should know about.

Mission
I have a few goals for what I want to do with my Super Cub, in order of importance.
  • Fly to my cottage all summer
  • Fly to very remote lakes/areas for weekend fishing/camping/hiking trips
  • Fly to hunting spots (either on bush wheels or floats)
  • Fly to my cottage in the winter and land on the lake with Skis

Notes

• I have a 75lb Golden Retriever
  • I would like to be able to have me (150lbs) in the front seat, a passenger (170 - 200lbs), and my dog (75lbs) in the plane
  • I will probably put about 100hrs a year on it
  • I have never flown a floatplane or a cub before

Specs I am looking for

• 160 hp - 180 hp
  • Float fittings

Things I'm okay with buying after I buy the plane (but nice if the plane has them already)

• Floats
  • Bush Wheels
  • VGs
  • Seaplane Prop
  • Skis

Questions
  • Am on on the right track?
  • Will a 160hp engine get off the water with myself, a passenger, and a dog?
  • Can I even carry myself, a passenger, and a dog?
  • Do I need a special mod to the cargo area to put a dog back there?
  • Will I be able to carry any bags, or say, a tent?
  • What price range do you think I am looking at? (before and after with any mods I might have to make)
  • Would the weight/balance be messed up with a heavy passenger + 75lb dog behind the passenger seat?
  • Am I missing anything?
  • Do you have any advice for me?

Thanks for the help!

Andrew

Last edited:
Sounds like it will be pretty darn tight in back. For stock gross weight you'll be right at, or maybe over, gross with passenger, dog, and full fuel (you said "remote") - and no "stuff".

What part of the country are you flying in? You can get the 2000 lb STC to help with the weight. Belly pod will help to bring back all the wet/bloody stuff. Dog in the back is no problem just pull the stick (add stick cover) and fold the seat back down. A good cub with floats will cost about 100 grand. It is best to buy one with all the things you want instead of adding them latter. Keep the dash simple!!!
DENNY

I'll be flying in Northern Ontario mostly.

What about a dog and a person in the back? Will the 2000lb STC be enough to get out of the water? Will I even have space for camping equipment with a passenger and a dog? I've never actually seen a super cub so I don't know how tight it will be.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I think you would be happiest with 180 hp, gross weight increase to 2000 lbs and 3rd seat/180 lb baggage mod.

Some/most Super Cubs are limited to 50lbs in the baggage area? There may be an STC to increase this.

I have 90 hours on a 172 - looking to buy a floatplane, after my research I've arrived at a super cub because it's in my price range and is often used for the stuff I want to do. The only thing throwing a wrench in my plan is the dog or passenger. I don't think a 172 on floats is that good of an idea, and a 180 is overkill.

If you go looking for a good 180hp Supercub float plane with a gross weight increase you'll definitely be it he price range of a good C180 float plane. You may be wise to consider both models. Maybe add a Maule to the list as well. If you intend to insure you may want to compare costs to insure. Float plane insurance rates for a low time pilot will bring tears to your eyes.

If you have made the decision that you want a "cub-type" aircraft, take a look at a PA12. You would still have the cub setup but given the wider fuselage and the certification for 3 persons, you would have the room you want. Find one with extended baggage and have a bit more space. They also make great float planes and most are less expensive than PA18's.

I think you want a 180 or a maule. 2 full-size adults and a 75 lb dog with camping gear - you are pushing 4-place territory. A PA12 might be a good compromise - or a hopped up 20/22.

Like Windy says, "A PA12 - like a PA18 only better." Hers gots 180 ponies and gets up and goes.

With extended bagage and belly pod it is very easy to fit 2000 lbs in a cub. A 12 will have more space but buy the time you do the 180 and gross weight upgrade it will cost the same if not more than the cub. Then your going to want the big wings, with big flaps on floats. The cessna looks better every day. If you leave the dog at home you will not be so overweight. Fuel is another issue you will have aprox 4 hours at 90mph for your range with stock tanks. The cub is a great one person plane. My wife who is light and I go on flying trips all over the state but we only need about 100 extra lbs of camping gear and some extra fuel. When I hunt with a buddy we end up making more than one trip to campsite with the plane.
DENNY

Dewch...

You have to decide what you really want the airplane to do. Both the super cub and 180 Cessna are great airplanes.
I live in upstate NY and for many years did a lot of float plane flying in Canada. For about 22 years I had a Cessna
180j on floats. It had an 0470R for power and aerocet floats. If you want travel longer distances with heavy loads
this combination is hard to beat. It was hard to believe what this 180 would pick out of the water, mostly due to the
floats.
I never left the rear seats in it. Many times I had a 190 lb. passenger, my 85lb. yellow lab and as much gear, groceries,
etc. that you could get it in it. When trimmed out it cruised at 106 knots. on about 12 gallons an hour.
I have a 150 horse super cub, a great airplane, 8-9 gallons per hour. On floats maybe 90 mph. You are limited as to
how much you can get in it, and a slower speed for long trips.
For many years I would make 10-12 trips a year to a club 100 miles west of Ottawa and at least one trip a year to the
Schefferville area.
There are trade offs in anything. The cub is cheaper to operate, but doesn't have the load capacity or the range of a
180. Oddly enough a well equipped cub 160 horse can cost 100-130 thousand. By looking around you can find a 180
for about that money. There is a very well equipped 180 in the Saranac Lake area of New York for about that money.
I really like my cub, but like I said it all depends on what you want the plane to do.

ADKCUB

When looking at a definate step up and you've got your options/ideas thought through give a good aviation insurance agent a call, maybe one that specializes in airplanes that get wet. You'll be surprised at the knowledge base. I purchased my super cub with no license and learned to fly in it, and then purchase my 180 when I needed something to go faster and both times I received great advise and steerage in ways to do it and to the pitfalls to avoid and believe me with a fresh landing oops in the cub happening mid-purchase of the 180 i put them to the test.

You mentioned operating in Northern Ontario. Not knowing exactly where you mean, I have heard folks refer to Timmins as Northern Ontario. It is not, it's only the jumping off point. The true north country will require a lot of fuel range for safety and comfort. Bear in mind that, with a float plane you often need to plan on the round trip fuel load, since your destination is on the other side of nowhere. A Super Cub on floats is slow. When you get a small head wind the Super Cub is really slow. Meaning that you will need lots of gas to carry your buddy and your dog along with your gear. You might be wise to figure your minimum load weight and range requirements before you decide on a particular type of plane.

Do not discount a 160 or 180 hp Cessna 172 on the proper sized floats. EDO 2000s are too small for your purpose. A light 172 will have a useful load in the 700+ pound range. And, it gives good enough performance for your experience level. You, being experienced in the type, will only be adding the seaplane process to something which you are already familiar. An older 180 is also good in the same price range. The only drawback is it costs more at the fuel pump. But it may be a good trade off. When you figure the greater speed, the miles per gallon comes close.

You need to take a look at a Cub to see what you might be getting into. Trying to fit a dog, 2 people and baggage in a Super Cub (or PA12 for that matter), will not be all that comfortable. A Super Cub is not that easy to get in or out of, especially if you are tall and as was said, they are slow if you are traveling any distance. I am on floats in Northern Ontario, have had a Super Cub, flown PA12's, but finally settled on a Cessna Skywagon for my mission. Speed, two doors (easy to get in and out), plus comfortably carrying a load without cramming everything in, may make a Cessna 180, Stinson or something similar, a better choice for your application.

Thanks guys, you really help me put it in perspective. I think my goals and what I want to do with the plane are a little bit much, considering I'm a low time pilot with no float experience.

A Cessna 180 or a decked out pa12 is like a dream plane, once I get that, I will never need to get another plane. I think what I should get right now Is a plane that I can learn on, and not be too expensive. Getting into all these mods for a super cub is great, and exactly what I want, but I don't think it's what I need now that I see all your comments. Most of the time I think I'll be flying alone or with my dog. Perhaps if I am doing a bigger trip I can just go back and forth twice.

I'm willing to spend around 100k, my ideal cost is around 60-75k. I know I won't get any of the sub mods for that price, but maybe a 160hp cub with float fittings is all I need right now to learn to fly on.

Thanks

Also skywagon, you are correct, I should not have said northern Ontario.

You might take a look at a Stinson 108 series as well. A whole bunch less money and a great airplane.

I gather that you are a young fellow. Get something small which fits your budget and start learning. Take small trips. Learn the ropes. You will eventually start to see what will fit your purpose. Then you can expand your horizons. You don't need to start out in a Norseman on floats with enough range to go to Bathurst Inlet. :) But it would be fun.

Last edited:
buy a j3c and put it on floats - fly the crap out of it solo then pass it on to the next bloke when you are ready to step up 1/3rd to 1/4 the cost of the supercub.

a lot can be said for buying your last plane first - but if the finances don't allow it - stick to the popular models which are easy to buy and sell

Yes skywagon I am 25. I think it's a good idea to buy a cheaper super cub or a j3 and just build time and experience, and worry about getting a lot of people at some other time.

Take a look at a Citabria 7GCBC. They have more room than a Cub and will also serve your purpose. And are a bit less money.

Low priced super cubs are cheap for a reason!! Look at a pacer now that is a great bang for the buck!! If you are buying a trainer plane (not a bad plan it is what I did) Then resist the urge to fix it up (I did not ) because any money you put into a plane will not come back out. Go hang out at the airport until you find an IA that will let you hang around and learn about planes. It took me six months of looking to find my first plane. Spend the money on pre buys and walk away if they are not good. Lots of good deals to be had for 30 grand. Fly the piss out of it for 3-4 years and you will be in a lot better situation to know what you want.
DENNY

Now that you are thinking intermediate plane before your dream plane, buy a Pacer. There is no better bang for the buck out there and you can do quite a lot with it.

Yup a Pacer or a 7GCBC I think would make great starter airplanes for you. You can get a decent Citabria with floats for $50-60k.

Maybe this plane would fit your needs? Already in North West Ontario...

Smith Cub with 2400 GW

2009_smith_cub_5.jpg

http://www.supercub.org/ppc/showproduct.php?product=2801&title=2009-exp-smith-2ftcow-pa-12&cat=6

Attachments

• 2009_smith_cub_5.jpg
    2009_smith_cub_5.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 168
I gather that you are a young fellow. Get something small which fits your budget and start learning. Take small trips. Learn the ropes. You will eventually start to see what will fit your purpose. Then you can expand your horizons. You don't need to start out in a Norseman on floats with enough range to go to Bathurst Inlet. :) But it would be fun.

My PA-12 is really fast and has enough range to get to Bathurst Inlet non-stop in about 1 hour 20!

Back