• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anchorage FSDO no longer allowing External loads???

polardds

Eagle River, Alaska
Today I called the Anchorage FSDO to try and get the paperwork for the restricted airworthiness certificate so I can haul external loads. I was informed by the FSDO that external loads were no longer going to be permitted in Alaska. The old snow shoes, gun boot fishing rods were ok but the antlers and Atlee lumber racks were not. Can anyone else confirm this for me?

Today I called the Anchorage FSDO to try and get the paperwork for the restricted airworthiness certificate so I can haul external loads. I was informed by the FSDO that external loads were no longer going to be permitted in Alaska. The old snow shoes, gun boot fishing rods were ok but the antlers and Atlee lumber racks were not. Can anyone else confirm this for me?

eeek!!!

You say no longer permitted--are you implying; no more will be issued? Or, if you have one already they will longer be allowed to use legally?

i got mine in the fall of 2012 and they made no indication it was on the chopping block--in fact they said they were re-working the dated phamplet/guidance they give you upon receiving the cert....

I'm glad that I already have the Dodge rack and the external load permit approved.

Did they bring a new manager from down here in the lower 48 that says no to every thing asked of him.

Yep got the same answer from an Anchorage Fed "no more external loads". The head Fed in DC sent out a directive telling the all FSDO's in the country that internal FAA memos from DC could not be used as a basis for approvals any more. As i understand it the external load permit we have been using was approved using one of these memos. If you have already have an approved external load permit your grand fathered in.

My cub's for sale, 5500 hours 2100 since major overhaul, now at 65K with external load permit... :)

If you have already have an approved external load permit your grand fathered in
Now
seriously, is this common sense or is this a confirmation from the FAA?

Important Note : External load permit is not transferable with the aircraft during ownership changes. Also, the following items have been evaluated and are not considered to be major alteration as defined by FAR 1.1. Snow shoes cross country skis, hunting rifle/scabbard, backpack frame and game tracking antenna. There are some exceptions to this requirement for certain aircraft, please contact your local FSDO for details.
http://www.faasafety.gov/SPANS/noticeView.aspx?nid=3219

another link of interest. Read the last paragraph of the opening page. Note the date.
http://www.alaskaaircarriers.org/servlet/download?id=566

Last edited:
SpainCub I'm not sure what your asking exactly but I would not use FAA and common sense in the same sentence very often. :)

Did you see SB's quote about not transferable does that mean that all of your field approvals are not transferable????

No your field approved 337's would stay with the aircraft they are field approved for regardless of aircraft ownership. SB's quote was about an external load permit which is not transferable.

No your field approved 337's would stay with the aircraft they are field approved for regardless of aircraft ownership. SB's quote was about an external load permit which is not transferable.

That is correct Ex load permit is for pilot and plane and does not transfer on a sale.

Lets see if I have this correct . Yesterday I could get an Ex. Permit, but today, because a bureaucrat in DC, who probably has never seen a Cub with moose antlers hung on the struts, decided I can't do that anymore. Why? Is it unsafe? How many Cubs with external loads have crashed lately? If it is unsafe today was it safe yesterday?
Just more bureaucratic BS from DC.
I wish I was a lawyer, I'd have fun with this one.

Whether a lawyer could make a case that the FAA arbitrarily rescinded a well established policy without notice or a comment period would be interesting since the policy was a local exception that allowed us to deviate from restrictive regulations the FAA enforces elsewhere. Bottom line this change is more incentive for private guys to go experimental.

Whether a lawyer could make a case that the FAA arbitrarily rescinded a well established policy without notice or a comment period would be interesting since the policy was a local exception that allowed us to deviate from restrictive regulations the FAA enforces elsewhere. Bottom line this change is more incentive for private guys to go experimental.

True. I'm curious though, are there many commercial fixed wing operations involving external loads?

sj

Seems like it could be worded......Not to be used over populated areas and no passengers. Thus, if you want to take the risk and kill yourself thats OK, just don't hurt anyone else. That policy is the same in so many other parts of the FARS so why not here? You can do aerobatics without a parachute but if you have a passenger you must all have chutes. Same concept. Oh boy, here we go, the victimless crime debate....

Bill

Beavers are allowed external loads per their type cert. The bigger impact of the rule change will be on Cub guys hauling antlers. Every new Cub owner wants to tie stuff to their struts.

Beavers are allowed external loads per their type cert. The bigger impact of the rule change will be on Cub guys hauling antlers. Every new Cub owner wants to tie stuff to their struts.

If only the fish and game would do away with the 50 inch antler restriction on Moose I wouldn't have to strap them antlers on the out side of my cub .

It might be time for me to move away from Lake hood and go to the valley on a private strip or lake and start flying alaskan style.

True. I'm curious though, are there many commercial fixed wing operations involving external loads?

sj

Steve,

No.

The external load policy specifically prohibits such operation. On Page 3 of the policy booklet, under eligibility, part E: "When the aircraft is operated in the restricted category, carrying an external load as defined by paragraph D, it shall not be operated for compensation or hire."

Note that many guides and outfitters in Alaska operate their aircraft under Part 91, ie: not for compensation or hire. They are selling a "hunt package" or a "camp package" or....which happens to include transportation to or from the field.

The policy specifically defines things like tracking antennas, rifle scabbards, snowshoes, backpack frames and skis as NOT being considered major alterations, meaning the airplane may be operated in the standard category, as opposed to the restricted category, which is required to carry boats, antlers, lumber, etc.

One question, with the change in this policy, is are they throwing the entire policy out? In other words, are they going to abandon the notion that rifle scabbards, snowshoes, etc are okay? And, what about tracking antennas? It is impossible in many districts in the Lower 48 to get approval for game tracking antennas, even by referencing the Alaska Region policy on external loads.

I felt a change was probably inevitable when FAA Headquarters held meetings in Fairbanks and Anchorage to consider a new National Policy on carriage of external loads. It was pretty apparent that FAA HQ was pretty queasy about going with the AK policy as written, and that significant modifications would "have to be implemented" to make a national policy. It was made clear that if a national policy were to be developed, it would also apply to Alaska, even though it might be more restrictive. That initiative to develop a national policy died on the vine pretty quick, but it looks like ultimately, it is happening, as in Alaska is now having to conform to the lower 48 "policy", or lack thereof.

As Stewart notes, the deHavilland Beaver was actually type certificated for external loads (on floats only). The TC requires proprietary attach hardware, which most everyone including the FAA seems to ignore. As far as I know, the Beaver is the only relatively common airplane out there with external loads called out in it's TC.

MTV

Sorry FAA, but I have been waiting 10 years to be able lash a pair of Moose and Caribou antlers onto my struts and I am going to allegedly do it anyway.

I wonder if it would be possible to get someone from the FAA to explain the rationale for the departure from such a long-term policy? Anyone heard of antlers falling from planes and wiping out school kids?,…canoes through roofs of houses?,…sheets of plywood scattered across the land. Anyone heard of an aircraft accident caused by an external load?

Likely it's just another knee jerk CYA action for a perceived but non-existent problem.

Wonder what would happen if we all started submitting applications for external load permits? Perhaps some politician up for re election might be convinced that going after a government agency ignoring the needs of their constituents could get them some votes.

Jim W

Back