Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Cummins

Post Thanks / Like

Dodge Cummins

Since this is going to take me to AK and Canada on hunting excursions I put it in this thread. I want to by a diesel truck and found a CO rust free 2001 stand. cab 4x4 with a Cummins/ 5speed. Has 98000 miles. Basic model with crank windows even. Is there anything I should fear with this model configuration? I just want to put a camper on it and tow a trailer some and go go go. Thanks All
    Thank a sheepdog today for they are standing guard!

Post Thanks / Like
    Fear everything surrounding the Cummins engine.

Seriously though, maybe the clutch depending on the treatment it's had. If there's any chance its been plowing snow, then lots of expensive front end parts. Other than that, with 98K it isn't even broke in yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good year, empty you will get 20 mpg. There are some mods you can do to improve the mileage and power. Google TDR, it's a dodge cummings web board. Everything you ever wanted to know. If by camper you mean a slide in camper, they can be heavy, mine weights over 4K, you will need airbags. With airbags and the right weight rating on the tires you'll be good to go. PM me if you want help with tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim's right.....air bags....I have an 02 and I get 21mpg empty on the open road all I've done is put on oversized exhaust.
    I agree with new clutch and sense your there through in some new drive line universal joints.

That's about half the mileage it should have so be sure it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy was I off, I thought this was going to be a thread about mooring ballast

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to make sure the recall has been done to the transmission. The nut falls off the 5th gear and most of the time doesn't hurt anything. The gear will sit there and ride( just no fifth). Occationally it will get jammed up. It would still be a long trip in 4th!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scout88305 View Post
    Since this is going to take me to AK and Canada on hunting excursions I put it in this thread. I want to by a diesel truck and found a CO rust free 2001 stand. cab 4x4 with a Cummins/ 5speed. Has 98000 miles. Basic model with crank windows even. Is there anything I should fear with this model configuration? I just want to put a camper on it and tow a trailer some and go go go. Thanks All
    Great trucks! I have owned 7 of them all 1999 -2001 models. Do not count on the fuel economy at all until you research the axle ratios. All of my trucks where dual rear wheels most quad cabs and one regular cab with the 6 speed stick.
    My 99 Cummins with 4:10 axles and stock little 215/85/16 tires delivers a real world 21 mpg at 63 mph at 70 it only gives about 18/19 mpg. all of the other ones only gave me 16 - 17 mpg. if I was lucky

TDR is the place to research those trucks. by 2001 it should have all disc brakes. also watch out for the Engine block casting number. you don't want to buy the 53 block. it may go forever but many have cracked. most 53 blocks where gone by 2001 but it is not guaranteed so look.
    Also check the factory carter lift pump ( fuel pump) it should be ready to fail right about now. it is very inexpensive but if it is allowed to fail it will kill the $1,000 VP44 injection pump. sometimes the lift pump has already failed and a real good VP44 will work hard and pull its own fuel but it will be failing soon.
    Last issue that must be checked is the dowel in the front timing case. the case is aluminum and the dowel is steel. the later timing cases have a shoulder to retain the dowel but there is no way to tell if a truck has the revised case or original. same exact part number. again very easy and inexpensive job but must be done now just like the factory fuel pump. If the dowel falls into timing case it can and doe streak out the bottom of case as it tries to travel around the lower gears. then you rapidly lose oil and have a problem.
    Do not skip the Killer Dowel pin inspection/ retaining.
    Do not skip checking the fuel pump for volume and pressure (to see if it has already taxed the VP44) and install a new one now.
    look at block casting number and make sure the price is good if it has the 53 block.
    My 99 has the 53 block but It is just too nice a truck to let go.
    TDR has all answers and feel free to pm me too. I love my Dodge Cummins.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think 01 has the dowl pin fix already, my 97 didn't. Sold that truck with 273,000 miles on it 8 years ago and I saw it purring along this past fall. Lots of performance fun to be had with that combination, mine (4x4 ex cab long bed) averaged 23 mpg and would pull anything you got in, on, or hooked to it. I replaced the clutch at 225,000 and I pulled lots of trailers. Neat trick to do is add a simple switched electric fuel pump in line to prime the system when you change fuel fitters (spring for an aftermarket remote mount but not untill you change the stock filter once just to experience it.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Some good answers there. My 2001 has 373 gears? And gets 25mpg on the highway @ 65.

I'm approaching 190,000 and I don't have to add any oil between changes. You can bump the starter and the lift pump will run, do that before you start it up in the morning to check the pump. I caught mine the same day it went out that way. Keep the ball joints lubed with heavy chassis grease. Move the oil breather off the front of the engine, if it is still there, make sure you blow the radiators out through the fins with solvent and compressed air. The oil breather puts out a mist that ends up clogging up the cooling fins with dirt stuck to the oil. Find an Alaskan Camper or one of the other jack-up, expandable type campers. They are much lighter and more aerodynamic. Happy Travels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    With airbags and the right weight rating on the tires you'll be good to go.
    Little tight for you to crawl under there isn't it.......??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Little tight for you to crawl under there isn't it.......??
    I have 4 sets of jack stands now, so no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to extend the life of that pesky little electric lift pump thats been mentioned heres how. Buy two feet of quarter inch fuel hose and two self tapping screws. Unbolt the lift pump from the hot, rattley, vibrating engine block that is really hard on little electric pumps. Use the self tapping screws to mount the pump on the inner fender or firewall. Reroute fuel line as necessary. Doubles the life expectancy of the pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a '96 cummins/5 speed with 4:10 gears and got 19 mpg under tow with a trailer that weighed 12,500. I never had any transmission troubles but a friend with a later model had the 5th gear problem. He got it fixed but wasn't cheap for the R & R. There is tons of aftermarket stuff for them, just like blowing money on those "must have" cub items. Best truck I ever owned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wronghand View Post
    If you want to extend the life of that pesky little electric lift pump thats been mentioned heres how. Buy two feet of quarter inch fuel hose and two self tapping screws. Unbolt the lift pump from the hot, rattley, vibrating engine block that is really hard on little electric pumps. Use the self tapping screws to mount the pump on the inner fender or firewall. Reroute fuel line as necessary. Doubles the life expectancy of the pump.
    Yep did that one to, the electric pump is a neat deal goes between the tank and the lift pump, flip the switch and prime the system...flip the switch while you've got your foot in it and hang on!

Yep did that one to after going through two pumps, the electric pump I mentioned is a neat deal, it goes between the tank and the lift pump, flip the switch and prime the system...flip the switch while you've got your foot in it and hang on!

Also if you're going to use it in the winter check the intake air pre-heater gid and the fuel heater back on the frame rail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub junkie View Post
    I had a '96 cummins/5 speed with 4:10 gears and got 19 mpg under tow with a trailer that weighed 12,500. I never had any transmission troubles but a friend with a later model had the 5th gear problem. He got it fixed but wasn't cheap for the R & R. There is tons of aftermarket stuff for them, just like blowing money on those "must have" cub items. Best truck I ever owned.
    When I bought my '98 one ton, with 289 K on it, the guy who sold it to me had it figured just right. After the test drive, I made it out of town about 5 miles, and went to gear down to pull into a fuel station (the gauge was past empty) and the 5 th gear did it's well known thing! It is so well known it was an easy fix for the tranny shop I took it to, not their first time they fixed the problem that's for sure. I love the wealth of info out there for these rigs. Mine is geared real low, not sure what, but low. I drive it 55/60 and get around 20, bit more maybe if I stay out of town, with a dump flat bed and a heavy duty lumber rack, tons of power even though I think it's stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just buy it !! I have always owned one to pull horses with....have two now, both over 200,000K miles and would take them anywhere. I have had the 5th gear problem...it won't leave you stranded (you still have the other 4 gears)... cost 750$ to get the last one fixed. Enjoy your trip. R
    "Entropy just isn't the same anymore"
    www.TheCubWorks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by centmont View Post
    Just buy it !!
    Amen, I miss my truck!

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a local vet with a 2000 dodge cummins with 745k on the engine. He has purchased a dump truck full of ball joints, and the rest of the truck has fallen apart around the Cummins. She sure was loud at idle compared to the new ones.

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive got a 96 and a 2011. The motor in the 96 has never been touched. 397000 miles but eats automatic trannys like there m&ms. mustve carried them over from the minivans,but 21-24 mpg down the highway empty the 11 gets 12 down the highway empty. Now we burn twice as much fuel to have cleaner exhaust, the epa theyve come a long ways. I like the 11 but it needs a 1000 gallon service tank in the box. Had a 04 before the 11 and that so far has been the best one, wish i had it back. They also switched to a different auto tranny then. Also like someone mentioned bad ball joints, around here we all call it the Death Wobble. Its one of those things you will know it when it happens. Hang On.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    Ive got a 96 and a 2011. The motor in the 96 has never been touched. 397000 miles but eats automatic trannys like there m&ms. mustve carried them over from the minivans,but 21-24 mpg down the highway empty the 11 gets 12 down the highway empty. Now we burn twice as much fuel to have cleaner exhaust, the epa theyve come a long ways. I like the 11 but it needs a 1000 gallon service tank in the box. Had a 04 before the 11 and that so far has been the best one, wish i had it back. They also switched to a different auto tranny then. Also like someone mentioned bad ball joints, around here we all call it the Death Wobble. Its one of those things you will know it when it happens. Hang On.
    Get a Diamond eye stainles steel exhaust, and an H&S tuner for your 2011 and you'll see a big improvement in the mileage

Post Thanks / Like
    Its still under warranty to 100,000 miles or 5 years, will they frown on doing that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its still under warranty to 100,000 miles or 5 years, will they frown on doing that?
    My dealer doesn't care. I had my truck in for a recall a couple weeks ago and a salesman asked if I wanted to trade for a new truck. I told him about the exhaust, he said he didn't care. Ask the service manager

Post Thanks / Like
    After being warned about the 5 th gear thing, and then having it happen, the exact same thing happened with the front end death rattle ( like flutter in a control surface) a couple weeks later. I guess I better check that dowel thing, but surely by now it would have been fixed.!? It sure is fun to drive when it isn't in the shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Kdp

Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    After being warned about the 5 th gear thing, and then having it happen, the exact same thing happened with the front end death rattle ( like flutter in a control surface) a couple weeks later. I guess I better check that dowel thing, but surely by now it would have been fixed.!? It sure is fun to drive when it isn't in the shop.
    Lots of mystery surrounds the killer dowel pin and some will say only on older trucks but if you read TDR posts I am pretty certain it exists at least up to 2001. Nobody can say for sure what is inside until you put eyes on it. Easy enough job for sure and yours could be rattling around the gears already. And while in there don't forget to check, clean and locktite the bolts as well. Those have been found loose and will get you too. Easy job and just a little money. No need to buy repair kit either. Several ways to make the dowel captive.
    Love those cummins. Just replaced my trans last week. Original trans made it 130k stuck a used, built trans in for now and will rebuild my stock one after I catch up on a little cub work.

Post Thanks / Like
    02 Duramax/Allison 185,000, original exhaust, original starter. All I've fixed is 1 serpentine belt.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    My '94 is pushing 300,000 real hard. I load 6 Clydesdales and their gear in a heavy steel trailer and still get 14mpg down the road at 70mph...empty it's over 20 all the time. I did throw the 5 speed away and put a 6 speed from a 2004 in there and that was a fantastic upgrade! I also went with Diamond Eye 4" exhaust....dropped about 200 degrees at least off the pyro and the mileage went up a tad. It's really nicely made. TDR is good info but www.cumminsforum.com is where I head to. You'll love the '01.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE= Duramax/Allison 185,000, original exhaust, original starter. All I've fixed is 1 serpentine belt.[/QUOTE]

Nuff said. Thank you. Didn't want this to turn into a pissin match so I was keeping quiet

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 1996 5 speed I use for towing trailers, snow plow, and working

I had the crank sensor busting, still ran fine but not charging the batteries.
    I had the fift gear thing, downshifted in fourth.
    I had the light switch melted, bypassed for night driving.
    I had the fuel shotdown solenoid busted, mechanically put it open.
    I had the trailer hitch cracked and almost ripped off.

All those thing a few hundred miles from home. Always been able returning home under it's own power.

Good old truck for my needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Nuff said. Thank you. Didn't want this to turn into a pissin match so I was keeping quiet
    As long as you're only pulling loads down hill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Im considering a duramax next, i think it would be great to hear about them. Not where one is better than the other but where there week and strong points are. Probably help a lot of us out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im considering a duramax next, i think it would be great to hear about them. Not where one is better than the other but where there week and strong points are. Probably help a lot of us out.
    From what I gather the 06/07 were some of the better years, went from the 5 spd ally to the 6 spd and this was just before they started to smother the engines with emission stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had two Duramax trucks but went back to gas on my latest truck. The diesel truck chassis used to be heavier duty but now the HD series chassis is the same with gas or diesel. The Duramax upgrade is close to $10K and the newer ones require urea injection and a urea tank to meet emission standards. My two Duramax's both had fuel totalizers and averaged about 12mpg for the years I owned them.I enjoyed both. Lots of power and really good cold starting. The gas engine fuel use is about identical so with diesel costing more than gas my fuel bill is reduced by a little. My 6L gas engine pulls my 7000# trailer just fine and overall the truck is way more comfortable to drive for everyday use. My wife hated the diesels and has said many times how this new truck is the nicest truck we've ever had. I have a half ton 2wd 5.3L down south and an identical looking 4wd three qtr ton 6.0L up north. I prefer the 2500HD in every way. Great truck.

Early models like '01 and '02 had internal injectors that had some issues and made service more difficult. Mid-2000s models changed to external injectors, had more power, and in '06 went to the 6 speed Allison. '08 saw the intro of the exhaust incinerator. My '07 definitely had more power and smoother shifting than the '02. The Duramax was never eligible for the auto 4wd option. The hubs are auto (fairly quick to engage but not instant) but the truck is in 2 or 4 wheel depending on the driver's selection.
    Last edited by sierra bravo; 03-05-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    02 Duramax/Allison 185,000, original exhaust, original starter. All I've fixed is 1 serpentine belt.

Glenn
    Keep this up and Eaton will be bragging about his Ford
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 03-05-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I towed out one of them duramax with the cummins dodge
    We thought it was broken down but turns out we just couldn't hear it running over our dodge

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    Keep this up and Eaton will be bragging about his Ford
    If Eaton's Ford is a diesel, he's probably home putting a new turbo on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, complete with a yellow X on top

Post Thanks / Like

Dodge Cummins

Nope. I got the good 7.3 litre. 200,000 plus and counting, with a lifetime warranty on tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I have made 4 trips to and from SD - AK in the last 12 months all pulling trailers. The first was last May in an F-350 Crew pulling a 40' toyhauler. Weight of that load (truck and trailer was about 25K).
    The next 3 loads were in a F-550 pulling 40' trailers. The load in November had a combined weight of 38,800 lbs--(it was the trip from hell). This spring loads with total weight of 42,300 lbs and 38,200 lbs. Both F-350 and the F-550 had the 6.7 diesel engine. Tremendous power in that engine with 400 HP and 860 ft.lbs of torque. By the way the new (15) has 440 HP and 860 ft.lbs of torque.
    The 550 had two tanks that totaled 68 gallons plus I had a 100 gallon fuel tank that I mounted in the back for a total usable of 168 gallons. It worked very well to get me between fuel stops and through the nights. In addition it allowed me to skip some of the more expensive fuel stops and I was able to save a little on fuel.
    I have no intention of making this trip again for some time. However right now, I am intimately familiar with the route and stops so if anyone is thinking of making this trip in the near future and needs any advise I can be of assistance.
    tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently run 4 pre07 cummins in my diver fleet. Young divers know 2 speeds- full ahead and broke! Cummins in dodges are about the only thing I can get to survive their torture. The auto trannys behind the cummins are a tad troublesome if abused. Other than an injector pump fixed under warranty in a 2000 dually with 1100 miles on it ,we have never had a head off or any problem with the engine itself .We trade the trucks off at 300k+ miles and have had the last 6 make it fine. Post 06 cummins I had, I got rid of because of horrible fuel economy. Always looking for clean 03-06 5.9 pickups.

Post Thanks / Like
    EPA has it figured out that we need to burn twice the fuel in order to have exhaust twice as clean. I cant see where thats a gain.