• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

North East camping / fishing

In the woods
Thinking ahead here for the summer for places to fly in and camp with good hiking or trout fishing. I know of a few in Vermont but how about Maine, NH, NY? Private strips, secret spots? What ya got?

How about Island Bob's, right on the Hudson River where you can catch some PCB laced carp, yum

Are you a purist or a worm dunker? Dunno about camping here, https://www.airnav.com/airport/NY78 , but there is some public fishing adjacent to the airport. http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/pfreastbranch.pdf . then there is the east branch of the famed Ausable adjacent to here https://www.airnav.com/airport/1I1 , of course the west branch is really the famed Ausable and this airfield tends to be a flea market on occasion but fishing is fishing, right? I do know of a strip on the Saranac river which permission to land probably would be granted with a phone call, I'll check on it. Maybe we can get Glenn to apologize to whomever necessary to get us on the West Canada creek, must be someplace we can land near there. Hydro releases control the flow but that is all public info and decent brown fishing to be had. I am based at 1B8, a mile or two to the Battenkill, turning into combat fishing with the tubers. Maybe others will help out, Jim

'Island Bob and the toxic carp' - I think I remember that band Tim.
Jim, I guess I am a purist, fly fishing only for me. The ones you show look great, thanks. I especially like the looks of the Downsville strip, maybe something more remote? How about you Maineiacs?

Up here in Maine there are some options. B21 Sugarloaf is my home strip and is on the Carrabassett river. Depending on the time of year, the Carrabassett can be decent fishing. The good news is that it's a really pretty river and there is a nice trail along it. If you landed here and had your camping stuff, I'm sure we could get you over to the Dead river outlet of Flagstaff lake and that can be very good fishing. You could spend a night or two there and do some fun exploring. There's also some abandoned strips up north that I could talk to you about where the fishing is good. I guess it depends on what you're exactly looking for in terms of immediate access from the airport, or if you're willing to walk or hitch a little.

Hey Pundy,
Up on Chamberlain and Eagle what can you fish for there? I like going in to see the trains. I also have a camp up near Shin Pond and we could all get together for a fly into Patten and then go fishing from there.
The other option is the Dartmouth strip I believe that is at the intersections of the Swift Diamond and Dead Diamond rivers. Obviously there is always Mikes Dick Beach in the middle of Aziscohos.
John

Heard a rumor that the Dartmouth strip had some ruts bulldozed into it. Any further info on that?

I know of the Sugarbush strip which looks good, but where are the rest of these places you all are talking about. Maybe some are private and don't want the world landing on them? If not give me some basic idea of location.

Take a look at this http://www.airfields-freeman.com/ME/Airfields_ME_N.htm It might give you some ideas. I don't want to be the guy that advocates landing at any of these strips, it's all at your own risk.

Cruiser, I had not heard that about Dartmouth, I sure hope it's not true. I flew over last May and it looked fine, but I didn't land there, and then never got back the rest of the flying season. If you can land there still, there's definitely good fishing.

John, I'm more of a river fishing kind of guy, so I'm not sure about Chamberlain and Eagle. That's gorgeous country though.

The Google earth view of the Dartmouth strip dated 9/13 does not show any ruts. Jim

I know of the Sugarbush strip which looks good, but where are the rest of these places you all are talking about. Maybe some are private and don't want the world landing on them? If not give me some basic idea of location.

Bearhawk! Don't go calling Sugarloaf, "Sugarbush". Sheesh, there's a reason I moved away from Vermont and I hate it when it haunts me like that... ;0)

me-17 has the swift river, but fishing is hit or miss and I quit fishing a long time ago because it was more miss, Zinks is on the andro and that is fun to fish but I wouldn't be eating the fish, Bethel is the same story. Phillips (Lindbergh) is a short walk to the river not sure of fishing there. Put on a set of floats and you can have some really good fishing up here. Douten

Hey Douten,
Good to hear from you!!
Can you go pull a couple of boards out so that lower Richardson Drains!!!!. We can land then up on the beaches of upper Richardson.
John

There may be a potato farmer up in Maine who's got some landable property near some water... I'd like to get the boy out to do some fishing/camping this year with the plane.

Stay tuned for this summer. JP and I are going to plan a three or so day jaunt around Maine from the top to the coast camping a different spot every day. He even has an island estate in MLT area. The plan is to make it float plane friendly as well. I have 2 different invites to new strips lately, one in northern Maine on the St John, the other on Moosehead Lake
im with Douten on the fishing, if you have time to fish, you have time to fly. Although I have been enjoying my week spear fishing in Spanish Wells Bahamas, these eat a lot better than some old skinny trout. Not a lot of ski flying down here, but have seen some interesting bikinis, or the lack thereof8)

image.jpg

Jim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 179
You could take Ford camping and fishing with you, and be guaranteed to catch crabs

Dont want to eat the dang things, although I ate a few out of Nesoewadnehunk a couple of years ago that fried up pretty nice.
Where is this Dartmouth strip?
Keep them coming!

Dave just northeast of Errol NH is the U strip near Aziscohos. If you look on Google they Call it Miller Quinn . It is operated by the Dartmouth Outdoor Club.

Hey Pundy,
Up on Chamberlain and Eagle what can you fish for there? I like going in to see the trains.
John

Those trains are neat. It is my understanding that Eagle is off limits, per F&G, to seaplanes except for some specific camps. At least it used to be. Has something changed?

That is true. You are supposed to land in the big lake and walk the mile. But some numb pilots land in eagle and walk the 100 yards. A warden friend told me that it is a stern talking to if you are caught by a pilot warden.

Miller Quinn looks good - that's what I'm looking for, good get away with some hiking and stream fishing. The satellite photo looks like the strip's in good enough shape.

Miller Quinn looks good - that's what I'm looking for, good get away with some hiking and stream fishing. The satellite photo looks like the strip's in good enough shape.
I agree but do you know anyone with DOC. We have been attempting to make a contact to see if we can get use of it. I have been told that they are not happy that we have landed there in the past. That is where the rumors have sourced that it will be shut to airplanes. Hey Dave look at this as well known as Colebrook right on the river and the folks are as nice as could be up there. I am sure we can get permission to camp. I am told it is a mile walk to town for a great bakery. http://www.airnav.com/airport/4C4
John

I see, didn't know there was a problem with that strip. Thanks for the Colebrook heads up, that's a nice little town.
How's the fishing on the brook by the WAD?

Poor Joe has a great idea about the "U" Why don't you " live free or die " New Hampshire boy get the RAF to work on keeping this open. SJ your 180 needs to discover the magic of this place, don't you have some pull?

Glenn

Back