• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tim's Sagging

SteveE

SPONSOR
Jenks, OK
Seems Tim's hanger is starting to take after Tim's other appendages according to his few friends from the North East....and is sagging in the middle..

Well, OkieEngineering Inc. has come up with fix for Tim's sagging hanger... a well designed fix that even the very weary can put together like their last erector set. Most of the cheap steel supplies came from Tim's junkpile, while the crane portion came from Harbor Freight. We pulled it a little tight, in case it settles, so be careful with the button on the lift, its a bit touchy. Click on the pic and you can see more detail in the engineering.

timshanger.jpg

Attachments

• timshanger.jpg
    timshanger.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 435
Tim's been doing a lot yakking about a truss recently. I didn't realize he was having problems at his hangar also. I guess that's why he didn't shovel the snow off the roof?

Hey Sagging Tim, we are spending the night and the next few days on Lake Crescent

Gary

Good for you Gary, I'm stuck up here in a snow bank. I knew my friend Eaton would come up with a fix for the front beam sagging and my sticking sliding doors. I didn't shovel off the roof because I didn't want it to start leaking around the screws. Anybody else got any ideas ? I have an adjustable post in the center but I have to take it out to get my plane out then the doors stick. I have all kinds of ideas on how to fix it but not sure which one to do.

I call BS on the Okie design. Not nearly enough duct tape and bailing wire for that job to pass as sufficient. Can we get Cliff to chime in on his solution?

Tim,

Plant two stout poles right beside each side of the hanger. Guy them away from the hanger. Put pulleys on top. Run a line and turnbuckles from a ground anchor. Thru the pulleys to a spot on the hanger that needs lifting from a both sides. Twist the turn buckles until the doors work. wish a I could write as well as I can drawl, but you get the picture. Lift from taller poles on each side.

gary at really mild crescent lake watching the students from Bunnel
make the evening landings.

Give us a picture from the inside, up above the doors, and in the corners above the doors, and total width. Ive seen steel bar joice companies have extras laying around, just wondering if you can loose any headroom?

Gary, I'v seen that done, and it would work on my hangar, but I would have to do a lot of work to get the cable attached to the beam in the center.

I hope 2 snakes crawl in your cabin tonight Ha

35mgpzm.jpg

6payx5.jpg

23towvs.jpg

42' inside, the post is hinged, when I have to take the plane out I swing the post up and hook it to the beam. I could lose a foot at the most

Last edited:
It's a 12 inch beam, so 12 inches from the bottom of the beam to the top where the roof rafters sit

Is it a 12" steel I beam? How about jacking it up in the middle a bit further than it needs to be... then take a torch and heat bottom flange every 4' or so in order to Pre-stress the beam? Hard to say though without actually seeing it if that might work.. after it cools (steel shrinks when cools after it's been heated cherry red). Just an idea.... cheap... just time if it doesn't work. Just don't burn the place down... ha

I drew it out on a napkin at breakfast for you. Why are you wasting all this time with this thread?

Glenn

I drew it out on a napkin at breakfast for you. Why are you wasting all this time with this thread?

Glenn

That would be my fault since I started the thread unknowingly to my Yankee buddy,, and I had the perfect Okie fix as seen in the top photo......its just that everybody else chimed in with their no knowledge of engineering opinions.....:p

I do like Garys idea of a couple of poles (Hi Gary), the best thing is that I could hang an Okie flag on the guy wires on one end and Tim can try to hang dry his underwear on the other end.....but I am sure even that would run the buzzards off...

Last edited:
We're forecast to get 1 to 2 inches of rain in the next couple of days, so I'll fix it today by shoveling the roof off. Darren that sounds like it might work. How big an area should I heat up?

We're forecast to get 1 to 2 inches of rain in the next couple of days, so I'll fix it today by shoveling the roof off. Darren that sounds like it might work. How big an area should I heat up?
Well, for maybe for a little while but it's not a fix for an over-spanned flexible-flyer beam subject to heavy snow loads (Remember; at show and tell, Little Timmy reported an inch of deflection with no snow and 2-3" with snow!) So, the only way to fix that black eye is with "meat, lots of meat" accomplished either by adding thickness to the web of the beam, deepening the beam (it already looks low in the pics) or by turning the beam into the bottom cord of a big-assed exterior truss of some sort.

Glenn

Glenn, go easy on Tim. He was just spotted using his superior thinking skills (compared to you) coming up with a solution:
tim inspecitng.jpg

Attachments

• tim inspecitng.jpg
    tim inspecitng.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 149
Seems Tim's hanger is starting to take after Tim's other appendages according to his few friends from the North East....and is sagging in the middle..

Well, OkieEngineering Inc. has come up with fix for Tim's sagging hanger... a well designed fix that even the very weary can put together like their last erector set. Most of the cheap steel supplies came from Tim's junkpile, while the crane portion came from Harbor Freight. We pulled it a little tight, in case it settles, so be careful with the button on the lift, its a bit touchy. Click on the pic and you can see more detail in the engineering.

View attachment 14999

Eaton, can you move the hook over by the pass thru door and make it taller. He built the thing for munchkins.

Glenn

At you command Glenn,,, moved the crane over and hoisted up the door so normal size people can enter....

timshanger2.jpg

Attachments

• timshanger2.jpg
    timshanger2.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 632
Damn Steve you're good. Kirby you're right, I stopped to see a local steel fabricator and he recommended a 1/4 plate welded between the top and bottom flanges the whole length of the beam.. I think this summer I'll do that, unless Eaton ships me that gantry crane

Tim, you may be in line for sainthood. These glassy-housed stone throwers are ripe targets, yet you calmly let it all slide by... :lol:

Are you doing yoga now too?

sj

Tim, you may be in line for sainthood. These glassy-housed stone throwers are ripe targets, yet you calmly let it all slide by... :lol:

Are you doing yoga now too?

sj

SJ, I'm saving up for when it matters

I'm not sure who SJ is talking about, I'm just trying to help out my old long time buddy with some fantastic ideas to fix his dilapidated sagging hanger. SJ is just trying to stir it up.....nobody I know is living in anything that even resembles a glass house......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim I could bring over a local field engineer. She claims she know how to fix any sags in your beam. At least temporarily, enough to get the horse out of the barn. Oh, I mean the plane out of the hangar.

Back