• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Can I put the new 180 hp lycoming in my old PA 18 150? Thanks Peggy

There are several STCs for this. Usually involves new baffles and exhaust, oil cooler and cowling. An O-360 is slightly wider than an O-320. CubCrafters has an STC, not sure who else does.

what year?
there was a cutoff having to do with what type of tubing(mild/4130?) or such(not sure.. was a Penn Yan thing if I remember right...)

A.E.R.O. is now handling the "Tigercub" 180hp STC, viz:

http://aeroinstock.com/Engine_Parts/Lower/180_Tiger_Cub_STC_Kits.php

I believe this is the successor to the Johnson/Jensen STC from many years ago, but with upgraded cowl, oil cooler and other details. And as Mike said, it depends on the model year/Serial number; I "think" it tracks with the introduction of the PA-18-150, which had some additional fuselage tubing for 1750# gross weight, and 16-rib wings (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks. cubscout

The 180 upgrade is not cheap!! Like most upgrades it might be worth it to just sell the plane and buy one with a 180hp. I tend to like to do the upgrades (as in pay someone to do it for me while I get in there way as I look over there shoulder and ask lots of stupid questions) Myself. My IA's have a limitless amount of patience with me. Charley Center also has a 180 upgrade for the 18. I run with a 180 cub a fair bit, his fuel burn is as good as mine (160 hp) at 85 mph and mine is worse as I try to push harder. He is faster than me with a better fuel burn. He can rip the cub off the ground and just keeps climbing.
DENNY

I researched this many years ago. If I remember correctly, the CubCrafters STC covers from 18-1 onwards. But you must bring the fuselage and wings up to a later status, for example buying new fuselage and new wings, unless some how you have got 16 rib wings, flaps and the necessary fuselage modifications.

The Penn Yan (now AERO) Tiger Cub is applicable from a certain serial number onward, I have this one and could search for the serial number applicability.

And I agree with the above comments and say it's not expensive if you have no engine, cowl, prop, fuselage etc to start off with. There is almost no difference in price between a 160 and 180hp engine, prop, carb etc. and you will certainly recoup your investment on resale. The costs mount if you have to sell your old stuff, do a lot of modifications etc. If thats the case, sell your plane and buy one with a 180.

Don

Cub Crafters' 180HP STC

Cub Crafters' 180HP STC is applicable to the PA18, PA18-150 (1) PA18A, PA18A-150, PA18-135, PA18-105 Special, PA18A-135, PA19 (1) PA18-125 in the normal/utility category and the PA18AS-125, PA18S-150, PA18S-105 Special, PA18AS-135, PA18S-125, PA18S, PA18AS-150, PA18S-135, PA19S in the normal category only.

All aircraft must have the following equipment or modifications installed to be eligible for the 180HP engine:
1. Equipment items approved by Aircraft Specification No. 1A2: Item 601 (flaps and counter balanced tail surfaces), Item 102 (right hand fuel tank), Item 201c (Cleveland wheels and brakes), and Item 204g (Scott tail wheel assembly).

2. Equipment items necessary to update older models: The dual grooved pulley stabilizer adjustment cable system must be installed I.A.W. Piper drawings 14486 and 12999, For airplanes originally equipped with Continental 95 Engines, the P/N 14849-02 fuselage cowl assembly and P/N 12430-00 windshield must be installed I.A.W. Piper drawing 14486, Torque tube assembly P/N/ 13735-00 and stick stub assembly P/N 13729-00 must be installed as used on PA18 aircraft after serial number 18-1969.

3. The airframe must be modified to increase gross weight to a minimum of 1750 lbs. and Center of Gravity limits to those approved for the "PA18-150" model Super Cubs. This will require landing gear strut assemblies P/N 14088-02 (Hydrasorb units) and P/N 30602-07 (cabane vee assembly) to be installed.

The above equipment allows the earlier model Super Cubs to be essentially equal to the PA18-150 models except for airspeed limitations. Since the airspeed limitations of earlier models of the PA18 are acceptable and compatible with this 180HP engine installation, the VNE of 138 mph, VNO of 110 mph, VA of 94 mph and VFE of 80 mph remain the same on these models. Hope this helps! ---Vera@cubcrafters.com and our 180HP Conversion kit comes with our 2-piece fiberglass cowling, modified fuel system kit (removes header tanks), rear mounted oil cooler, new carb airbox, parts to modify your existing exhaust and baffles (or buy new ones) and allows the big McCauley 1A200/FA82 prop or the Sensenich 76EM8 prop or if you are so inclined, a Sensenich wood prop can be installed as well (the W80CM8 model). Give me a call 509-248-1025 or email me if you have more questions. I can send you pricing or more information.

Just a quick question...what are the limitations if you have a wing with fewer ribs? Can you add ribs?

cafi

The 180 hp Tiger Cub STC now owned by AERO requires the a 1955 or later model PA18-150 series aircraft with serial number 18-3781 or higher.

Just a quick question...what are the limitations if you have a wing with fewer ribs? Can you add ribs?

cafi

Cub Crafters STC doesn't need to have more ribs. Just effects the Vne which you will never reach unless you are falling straight down with the wings off and your hair on fire.

I have flown several 180 Cubs. I would choose a good 160 over the 180 any day, but then I do not bring Meese out of the wilds of Alaska. I love the way they go straight up, but everything else is a real letdown in comparison to a lighter Cub.

Peggy is in Colorado which starts at five thousand feet above sea level. I would opt for more cubic inches rather than starting with only 75% of what she has.

Have you ever had a chance to fly a cub with a 160 in your area to see how that setup compares to the 150?
Thanks' Eddy

i have tried the 160hp in a cub when you towing a banner that is 40ft by 100 ft long you need a 180 cub looking at one with a crosswind stol on it the best i have found so far is the old Jensen stc

The Aero STC is no longer serial number restricted. It is approved in all PA-18-150's and earlier models modified to 150 series configuration by FAA approved means.

Which 180hp STC would you guys pick if you wanted to do the upgrade and why? There is the Aero STC and the Cubcrafters STC and the STC from Svennsaviation. There are differences but are they really impact the decision for you? The Aero STC has a nice cowl using the original latches and the Cubcrafters STC has a lot of fasteners that aren't as preferred. The Aero STC allows dynofocal and the Cubcrafters STC does not allow dynofocal.

Which 180hp STC would you guys pick if you wanted to do the upgrade and why? There is the Aero STC and the Cubcrafters STC and the STC from Svennsaviation. There are differences but are they really impact the decision for you? The Aero STC has a nice cowl using the original latches and the Cubcrafters STC has a lot of fasteners that aren't as preferred. The Aero STC allows dynofocal and the Cubcrafters STC does not allow dynofocal.

As you pointed out only the Aero "allows" the use of a dynafocal mount. It was recommended to me by a very experienced pilot/mechanic not to install a conical mount 180 in a cub. He said they shake too much. I did not ask him if a Lycon flow balanced engine would eliminate that. But that made the decision for me easy as I wanted the dynafocal mount. It should be noted that both the Cubcrafter and Svennsaviation STC list dynafocal engines as "approved" engines in their STC. Their only problem is they do not have an approved dynafocal mount to attach those engines to. How the FAA approved them, with no way to attach them to the aircraft is beyond me.

Svennsavaition uses Randy Rupert and his brother Jan to provide the mount, cowling parts, & firewall forward package if you want it. Svennsavaition also works with Dakota cub, mark Erickson. They provided my 180 conversion for my pa-12.

Svennsavaition uses Randy Rupert and his brother Jan to provide the mount, cowling parts, & firewall forward package if you want it. Svennsavaition also works with Dakota cub, mark Erickson. They provided my 180 conversion for my pa-12.

Did you install a dynafocal mount o-360? I have never research the install of an o-360 in a PA-12, I only have for a PA-18. I spoke last year to the owner of Svennsaviation who told me he has a DRAWING of a dynafocal mount that is not ready to be submitted to the FAA for approval. Unless they have had a recent development (and the FAA is actually able to approve something in less than normal slow motion process) they do not have an FAA APPROVED dynafocal mount for their STC. Again, this information is about a year old.

When you look at the STC's also look at what comes with it. If prop, mount, cowling doors, all the little things that add up are included than the STC worth it. I fly with 180HP cubs a lot they are faster, climb better, and use less fuel than my 160hp. We get off the ground about the same.
DENNY

Which 180hp STC would you guys pick if you wanted to do the upgrade and why? The Aero STC allows dynofocal and the Cubcrafters STC does not allow dynofocal.
I prefer Dynafocal for it's ability to better absorb engine vibrations. It does this by pointing the attach bolts directly at the CG of the engine rather than off to the side as does the parallel "old" style mounting bolts. Similar to balancing a prop for less vibration, only you are balancing the engine installation.

Back