• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Helena Mt to Rochester Ny in early April. Suggestions.

Colorguns

PATRON
Bloomfield NY
I'm picking up a new purchase. PA12. the first part of April. Flying from HLN to ROC. Any suggestions on routes and things to avoid would be helpful.
Thanks

Head down to Bozeman and then folow 90 east. Pick a calm day to leave and get out as early as possible.

Nothing better than flying across the country in these little planes.

Tim

Poplar Grove (C77) just NE of Rockford Illinois has grass runways, gas (including non ethanol auto gas), maintenance, etc.

I'm there as well. If I can help just PM me.

Bill

Not things to avoid, but a couple of things to see, unless you are on a tight schedule. With decent weather, the hills between Helena and Harlowtown are not too bad and an easy jaunt around the hills north of Billings. Early April, the snow is melting in Idaho........ the Big Creek drainage, Cabin Creek for sure, maybe Johnson Creek and the short runway at Moose Creek I'm sure will be open then.

If you make it as far as eastern WY on the first day and have some time, Gurnsey, WY (GUR) used to have self serve gas and a courtesy car. The guy that has the only hotel in town, is a pilot, and about a half mile south of town, there is a park where the Oregon Trail went by. The wagon ruts are impressive to see and just a short walk. If they no longer have a car at the airport, I understand the guy at the hotel is very accommodating with transportation, even to the restaurant for dinner.

If you happen by Bill's place in the afternoon, stop for lunch at Amana, IA, (C11) grass strip on the edge of town, no gas but about 2 or 3 blocks into town for 3 or 4 places with some family style German Food. (Weinerchnitzel is always a winner) You can pick up a couple bottles of local wine for the "We Made It" celebration back in NY.

Last edited:
Started the trip Tuesday April 8. Left Helena in morning flew to SE SD. Plane flies great 105 mph at 2450 burning 8.5gph.
180 hp. Borer 82" 43 pitch. 26" tires. Staying with friends in Grinnell Iowa for a day.
Helena to Bozeman towards Billings then south to Sheridan left to devils tower to Custer Co to crazy horse n presidents down badlands to chamberlain SD to vermillion SD. Great courtesy car there!! In Grinnell Iowa to see the Iowa college and Brownells gun part n tool distributor.

Back