• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The Hunt for Snowy Owls

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
I've been out east for Christmas and New Year's, and there has been a Snowy Owl eruption (their words, not mine) out here due to the loss of their usual diet of lemmings north of us.

Laura has been on a quest to find one and we have been out several times with no joy. Today we saw two, one right near our car after walking two miles of beach, and the other just off of busy highway 95 in New Haven. Laura got a few good shots... here is the one in New Haven.

owl1.jpg

There have been lots of "birders" around and what I have learned is that I may be an airplane and computer nerd, but there are some serious bird nerds out there. Pretty cool spotting scopes and camera equipment they have.

sj

Attachments

• owl1.jpg
    owl1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,117
Last edited:
Eskimo food, they could tell you. When I was a young man working on a bucket line dredge, mining platinum and gold on the Bering Sea Coast, we had dozens of Snowy Owls flying around all day long. They were hunting parka squirrel (Arctic Ground Squirrel). I've never seen so many in one place since. They are quite common in the Arctic in the Summer though. They head South in the winter in search of food... Don't ever get near their nest, they will claw your scalp...

My "birder" wife, says they have not been seeing them here in N/W Ontario this season. Quite disappointed, as a siting is another notch on the gun for her group.

Have not seen one, but several friends have spotted them lately. They have seen a fe around twitch ells airport.

Well, they actually taste pretty good, but it takes several to have enough for everyone. During hog-killing time, while we're scalding a hog or two, we'll throw the 15-20 snowy owls, we'd shot for that day, into the barrel while the hog's scalding. It makes it much easier to pluck their feathers. (They're kind of like a fox, after you get the feathers off there's not much meat).

Steve,

proceed to your local library and ask for the book "The Big Year". It's a hoot and it quite accurately describes some of the more "serious" birders.

MTV

when my mom and I first moved to Naknek Ak in 1984 there was a bunch of them hanging around the cabin we lived in that winter(along with the 4" B&W 'portable' TV/radio we borrowed.. remember those??)... haven't seen a single owl since....

mpRcgWy-pRLG_WG01LmbqkQ.jpg

It seems they show up here when we have the worst winters. Three years ago we had 2 1/2 times our normal snowfall and one showed up on our place. We watched it for a couple months. It was hard on the local rabbit population which worked out well!
When I was a dumpster we chased one for two weeks during Christmas vacation. One day during a blizzard we ambushed the wary owl in a grove. I remember how small the body was on that large animal and how bad I felt after we did him in.
I enjoy looking at them now and would not kill one again.

Glenn, why does Everyone always have to put stuff in there mouths. My kids always use to eat quarters.:smile:

Last edited:
If you want to go on a crash diet Try putting antelope in there sometime. Youll never put nothing in there again.

I've seen two of them on my property in the past few days. Also nearly hit one driving home from town. It was feasting on a snoshoe hare it had apparantly just killed. The owl was dining on its kill right on the white line of the road. It was dark and I nearly clobbered it when it ook to flight with its prey dangling from its claws. My wife was pretty amazed at seeing one so close.

We had a high cycle in the vole pop. Last summer on my place in Seldovia, a pair of Great Horned Owl's, couple of hawks and I would guess fox and coyote came to visit for a couple of months.Problem was solved! The owl's hunted as a pair, very neat. Still looking for a snowy, never have seen one. Also watched a sow black Bear catch a vole one day, guess food is food.

If you want to go on a crash diet Try putting antelope in there sometime. Youll never put nothing in there again.

Montana antelope must be better tasting than North Dakota antelope. It has a distinctive and delicious flavor in my opinion. I'd rate right along side elk and whitetail doe.

Complaining about Antelope... (maybe it was not cared for well when in the field), and some countries folks are happy to eat bugs.

Gary, those seem a lot more colorful than what we have seen here - maybe we are only seeing females.

sj

Gary, those seem a lot more colorful than what we have seen here - maybe we are only seeing females.

sj

Steve,

More variability in the barring between juvenile and adult birds than between the sexes, I believe.

They should be feeling right at home in the Midwest and east coast this weekend.

MTV

Yup...I'd say you are right Mike. Sure felt like the Arctic today when I was watching this one in Milford, CT today.
IMG_7988.JPGIMG_7980.JPGIMG_7979.JPG

cafi

Attachments

• IMG_7988.JPG
    IMG_7988.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_7980.JPG
    IMG_7980.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7979.JPG
    IMG_7979.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 124
I can't get enough of these things. They are so pretty (and so far away most of the time). One of these days I will get a good picture....clear.

Here are some shots from today. Saw 2 of them together.

IMG_8049.JPGIMG_8051.JPGIMG_8053.JPGIMG_8060.JPG

Kirby, I'm not a serious birder....but there was a time where if I could have figured a way to make a living I would have studied ornithology. Just love seeing all kinds of birds/wildlife.

cafi

Attachments

• IMG_8049.JPG
    IMG_8049.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_8051.JPG
    IMG_8051.JPG
    334.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8053.JPG
    IMG_8053.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_8060.JPG
    IMG_8060.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 109
Too cold for that this time of year.....but it is now in KC anyway. The long term plan is to have a nice big garage/shop. The short term plan is cramped and 1400 miles away.

No expiration date....I will get to it.

cafi

Back