• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Edmonton to Kalispell MT trip advice

Marshmallow

Missoula Montana
Hello:
I would like some local trip advice. I will be flying a J3 without a transponder from an airfield just outside of Edmonton down to my point of entry into the US which will be Kalispell. I was wondering if any locals up in Canada could give me some trip advice. I will have about 34 gallons of gas on board and the C85 drinks about 5 gallons per hour. This is might be a 2 day trip. Anyway, before leaving Canada, I would like to fuel up. Looking for a place to set down where the wind does not blow 30 knots 24 hours a day kind of close to the border. Hoping to complete the trip within the next 3 weeks when a weather window opens up.

Peace.

The weather window might not cooperate with your schedule. There is an Arctic High sending very cold air down your route. January could be a tough month to complete this task. Short days and very cold wx means, two days enroute could be wishful thinking. The C-85 doesn't produce enough heat to keep itself at operating temps. I hope you have the winter kit installed in that J-3. You will also want to pre-heat or hangar that plane....

The wind is always blowing this time of year and you have the cold to deal with...might want to wait till spirng and warmer weather.

Canada.. just land on the highway and pull into a Husky station for fuel ! If you seriously want to do this trip... I can possibly get you into a friends hangar in the Calgary area before crossing the border.

Since the plane does not have a transponder, I don't think I can go into the Calgary area, correct?

I'd have to look at the charts... but he's outside the city at a smaller strip. I sold him his aircraft about 8 years ago and it left here without a transponder and not sure he ever installed one. He might already be in Arizona for the winter though. Sent him an email to find out both...

Last edited:
Garry is home... and you have to fly either east or west of the control zone to get to CEN4 and if you have no transponder, east is best. If you want his phone number just let me know. He says Wx there getting pretty cold for a day or two but clearing soon.

So you must have found a DAR to work with you on importation?

I'd clear Customs in GTF. That leaves you more options crossing the mountains while you're still on the east side.

If you don't have a transponder you need to complete a waiver to cross the border too.

There is a DAR in Helena who charges $750 plus mileage. He is scheduled to be in Missoula on the 11th for Northstar. The FAA come to Missoula ever other week and can also sign it off. I have called and talked to both the DAR and the Feds. The Feds are free, but you have to work with their schedule. If I go into Kalispell, there is a mechanic that did my Stearman which can do my annual right away and will sign form 8130-6, and then I can get a ferry permit and finally get the plane to Missoula. Great Fall will be an alt airport and is a pretty easy flight to Missoula from there. Once into Missoula, Minuteman can do the annual, but they are really busy with helicopters this time of year. I have signed up for the transponder waiver from TSA, and eAIPS. I have even called the customs agent in Kalispell to make sure that all paperwork is in order. There was some question about what form the customs people need to fill out to permanently import the plane into the USA. Once permanently imported in Kalispell, I would just wheel it over to the mechanic and get the annual done.

This sounds a bit more complacated than it is, but for every plan that I have, I have a backup plan if needed.

I really love to fly in the winter. I think it is one of the best times of year to go flying actually assuming the weather is clear, and most days you can get out for a local flight.

That High River airport looks nice (currently sunny with 5 km/hr wind). I really like their website with the weather info. Weather Cam also. Do they have fuel? I should be able to avoid Calgary Class C airspace. Red Deer looks like class D airspace so no transponder should be needed there.

Any more ideas for the flight?

Sent you a PM with Garry's email address Marshmallow. Great guy in his 60's.. more than willing to help you out if need be I'm sure.

Red Deer has a credit card pump--you do not need transponder there,,, Tower personal are real friendly too.

High River (CEN4) is a great little airport with a credit card fuel pump and possible options for hangaring with advance arrangements. Try calling Glen at Murray's Aircraft Service (403) 648-8910 - they do all my service and are about 10 minutes by SuperCub from my home strip. They've got a big hangar and access to others and probably can help you out. Definitely fly around the east side of Calgary - the airspace to the west is controlled well into the foothills. For the closest fuel stop to the border, you might consider Lethbridge which is also uncontrolled but has a manned Unicom (Lethbridge Radio). This might be too far east for you however, unless you do go into Great Falls. PM me if you'd like more local intel.
Good luck.
Chris.

Regards;

Chris Shopperly

Hi. January is fine for the trip. I'm looking out the window at 1:00 PM in the Calgary area and it's calm, -2 deg C, and high overcast, perfect J3 weather. You just have to keep an eye on the weather, pick your days, get an early start and be prepared to hold up some where for a few days if the wind picks up or the weather goes bad. Southern Alberta and Northern Montana can be a breezy place in the winter. Bring rope to tie the J3 down. There are lots of small airports South of Edmonton. A little less South of Calgary. I would stay to the East of Hw#2 (and East of the Calgary control zone) and on the East ide of the Rockies crossing at Del Bonita. Del Bonita has a grass strip on the border (Coutts also has a grass strip). Call ahead for runway conditions, not sure if the clear it in the winter. Have a good look at the maps and call ahead for runway conditions and fuel availability. I would suggest something like Wetaskwin, Three Hills, Vulcan, Fort McLeod, Cardston. Cardston is close to the border so it would be a good place to stay the night then a short run to Del Bonita in the morning. (an alternate stop would be Lethbridge but you would have to call to see if they would let you in without a Txpdr). Then make your way to Helena then Missoula. Cheers! Chris

No transponder is required for Lethbridge. It's uncontrolled. Unicom only.

Regards;

Chris Shopperly

Yes. The weather can very quite a bit in Southern Alberta and in Montana on the East side of the Rockies . -14 C in Edmonton, 0 C and calm in Calgary, +4 C breezy in Lethbridge, +3 C and breezy in Great Falls. The joke is Lethbridge uses a ball and chain for a wind sock. Cheers!

As Dan said: You need to get a waiver to cross the border without a transponder!!!!!!!

You have not mentioned that you have gotten one, if not, your schedule should consider the 3-6 weeks I was told it takes to get the waiver...

So, once you have it in hand, the weather should be considered.

Have fun, and good luck!

What's up with the transponder deal. You don't have to have one to fly in the USA, so why the waiver?? Doesn't make much common sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something about getting across the invisible line without getting shot down by US gun ships or drones Steve... I've never figured it out myself and why I can't be bothered to fly south anymore...

A "No Transponder" waiver has been submitted. I don't think it takes that long to get the waiver, but then again, I have never done one before.

Peace for the new year.

Took less than 24 hours to get my "No Transponder" waiver. Another box ticked off the list.

Peace and Happy New Year.

Darcy at Transport Canada just called. I just got my Canadian recreational pilot license issued. Is there an electronic chart app for an Android that pilots use in Canada? I have the garmin pilot app on my phone right now, but it does not cover Canada.

Peace

Darcy at Transport Canada just called. I just got my Canadian recreational pilot license issued. Is there an electronic chart app for an Android that pilots use in Canada? I have the garmin pilot app on my phone right now, but it does not cover Canada.

Peace

I think you can get a base map on Naviator, I don't need it so never tried to get it

Back