• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

150 HP vs 180 HP

I have flown and instructed in every type of Cub from a J3C-65 to a 200 Horse PA-14.

A good seaplane pilot will do just fine in a 150 horse PA-18 and you can burn car gas.

A 180 horse is nice, and will hide many poor take-off techniques.

It is all a balancing act between money, weight, fuel burn, and getting caught....

I just re-read this whole thread. Lots of good thoughts here.

One thing nobody has noted yet is that you cannot generalize about this stuff. I've flown stock wing 150 Cubs that were dogs, and others that just sang to me. I've flown the proverbial "piggish" 180 hp cubs and a couple that flew pretty nice.

Second, you cannot legitimately compare weights of O-320s to weights of O-360s unless you specify the specific engine. There are O-360s that are real close to the weight of O-320s, and there are heavy ones. Bear in mind that these cited weights are without accessories, so lightweight accessories really make more difference than any base weights. If your cub has a generator, stock oil cooler, stock starter and a ton of battery back aft, you can take about 45 pounds off the basic weight with the lightweight mods and Odyssey battery. As Crash noted, the biggest issue with the O-360 is propeller weight, and that hangs waaaay out front.

Which brings me to experimental vs certified. Unless you're talking about an experimental airplane, comparisons of engines running super low fuel flows are kind of irrelevant......I'd love to be able to run Electronic ignition, but so far, at least, that doesn't happen.

To me, there are three primary issues to consider: Weight, Gross Weight, and wing mods when talking seaplane cubs.

Frankly, there aren't many cubs that have a low enough empty weight on floats to LEGALLY carry two people and a decent load of fuel with the stock 1760 pound GW. If I were looking for a float cub, the Wip 2000 pound GW kit would be a must. I sold my Super Cub years ago because I wanted to instruct on floats, and about a third to half of the customers couldn't LEGALLY do a checkride in the airplane due to their weight plus the examiners weight.

So, to me, the Wip 2000 pound GW kit is far more important than which engine to choose, on floats.

Empty weight is also critical. While that 2000 pound kit is essential AT TIMES, I'm NOT suggesting that you have to operate at 2000 pounds ALL the time. A LIGHT Cub flies better and performs better, no matter the engine.

And, if I were buying a SC today, if it didn't have a fairly recent ACTUAL weight, I'd have it weighed prior to purchase. Not because of legalities, but to find out what it ACTUALLY weighs, and where the CG is. There are a lot of Cubs flying around out there with "fairy tale" empty weights. Again, I'm not suggesting this for legalities, but rather for you to know what you are actually buying.

Wings: Again, you can't generalize. For eight years, I worked a 160 hp Cub in Kodiak that had the "original" extended wing mod, ie: the wings were extended two bays, with Demer tips (drooped and extend the wing even further) but with stock ailerons and flaps. Flying that Cub in Kodiak, where there's usually a "little" turbulence, you quickly realized that the ailerons were pretty useless. Rudder was a much better roll control than aileron. Frankly, that cub taught me many things, largely the importance of rudder use, but, it wasn't the nicest flying cub I've been in.

A friend bought a newly rebuilt Cub that had the same length wings, but had the flaps extended and the ailerons moved out to the tips, and "Hoerner style" tips. He let me fly it, and holy cats, was that plane a dream to fly, compared to my work plane. Roll was still a little sluggish, but you still had solid control authority.

AND, both these airplanes got off the water much quicker than a stock wing Cub. Wing surface area is an important consideration in a float cub. On wheels, I would definitely stick with a stock wing or a squared off stock length wing, but on floats, those big wings really make a difference in getting on step and off the water.

BUT, extended wings add weight.....see my earlier comment on empty weight. Everything is a compromise.

There is no doubt that MANY O-360 powered airplanes will takeoff shorter and climb better than MANY O-320 powered Cubs. And on floats, that difference is more noticeable than on wheels. Power, weight and wing area are all key components in a seaplane. But weight is more important to me than the difference between a 160 and a 180 powered cub, in many ways, not the least of which is the "feel" and flight characteristics of the plane. Bear in mind that a very tiny percentage of your flight time is takeoff and climb. How often do you REALLY need that extra power? But every minute you're flying that plane the "feel" and flight characteristics are going to be banging you up side the head.

But, my primary point here is that you really cannot legitimately generalize about this stuff if you're shopping for an airplane. You really need to look at EACH particular airplane, its empty weight, whether it has the 2000 pound GW kit, the wing mods, and finally (and lastly in my opinion) the engine.

Oh yeah, and then there are the floats.....simple: if you can run straight floats, get a set of EDO 2000s. The Aerocets are nice, but all that extra $$$$ for a set of those will buy a LOT of gas, and you won't see much better performance, if any. Nothing else is even close.

And, if you REALLY need to operate on Amphibs, buy a nice Cessna 180 or 185.

MTV

Last edited:
Hello all
We're just finishing up a 180 hp cub on 2100 Wipair amphibs so all this in interesting reading. We'd like to get in touch with any owners of the same configured aircraft to ask for some specific tips and techniques as well as experiences with the cub crafters 180 kit. If you own/operate a SC with the Cub Crafters 180 firewall forward kit on Wipaire amphibs I would love to get in touch with you directly. Any contact would be much appreciated. You can just contact me directly via my profile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 220
Hello all
We're just finishing up a 180 hp cub on 2100 Wipair amphibs so all this in interesting reading. We'd like to get in touch with any owners of the same configured aircraft to ask for some specific tips and techniques as well as experiences with the cub crafters 180 kit. If you own/operate a SC with the Cub Crafters 180 firewall forward kit on Wipaire amphibs I would love to get in touch with you directly. Any contact would be much appreciated. You can just contact me directly via my profile

I see some resemblance...

add78a43e8618617f5278176afdd450d.jpg

Yours looks great! I think SJ could chime in, his cub was rebuilt by cubcrafters and was on wip anfibs. Where are you going to keep your new cub?

Hey Tom
We plan on keeping it in Switzerland for 2015 so my dad can go to all the seaplane fly ins. That's the only time you can land on these beautiful swiss lakes! We'll probably box it up and ship it to me here in North Carolina next winter. Can't wait!

Interesting old thread, lots of good info, I had a 160 Cub one fall and was guiding for a fella with a 180 Cub with all
Of Charlie's STOL stuff on it, I don't know what it weighed
But it was a heavy airplane. He had a Pawnee prop on it.
Mine was an old 135 Cub that had a 160 narrow deck slaped onto the front of it, there was hardly any difference, where they broke the water lightly loaded, but
His rate of climb was better. However we were landing into some very short beaver ponds chasing Trophy moose and some of the ponds had good sized trees around them, he had to carry more airspeed and used up
Considerably More water everytime we went in, I think my airplane would fly 5mph slower than his would? Once he was in getting out was no problem, I also watched him landing
Behind me on ridgetops on wheels with gusty cross winds another fall we were on Big tires, and he had some
Real wrestling matches with those big wings??
I am going with the theory if you could just place the battery back in the middle of the fuselage to correct
The CG issues ( why screw around with lead?) Plane is same weight and then balanced correctly, get rid of that HEAVY prop with a Catto, you would probably have a rocket, especially with jumbo tailfeathers.

Last edited:
Interesting old thread, lots of good info, I had a 160 Cub one fall and was guiding for a fella with a 180 Cub with all
Mine was an old 135 Cub that had a 160 narrow deck slaped onto the front of it, there was hardly any difference, where they broke the water lightly loaded, but
His rate of climb was better. However we were landing into some very short beaver ponds chasing Trophy moose and some of the ponds had good sized trees around them, he had to carry more airspeed and used up
Considerably More water everytime we went in, I think my airplane would fly 5mph slower than his would? Once he was in getting out was no problem, I also watched him landing
Behind me on ridgetops on wheels with gusty cross winds another fall we were on Big tires, and he had some
Real wrestling matches with those big winds??
I am going with the theory if you could just place the battery back in the middle of the fuselage to correct
The CG issues ( why screw around with lead?) Plane is same weight and then balanced correctly, get rid of that HEAVY prop with a Catto, you would probably have a rocket, especially with jumbo tailfeathers.
Turbo beaver, you lived the dream, flying Cubs on paying moose hunts! Stuff I dream about when
I was a brand new pilot. But, alas, never happened for me. Getting married at 19 changed that.
My brothers Super Legend is just complete, ready for TCs last inspection and then it can be flown.
For your interest, here are some numbers; empty wt. with 180 (superior 340), 26" AirStreaks, smoker
nice panel, lots of insulation, baggage door, and glossy paint = 1020 lbs. oh, and a Catto
prop. C. Of G. 36.2" aft. of firewall. Nice plane! If we can get some decent snow/ice conditions
we can fly this thing.
R

Roddy
That is an incredible empty weight! With that engine that will be an animal! Very nice set up
Be really nice to see some pictures! How did you set up baggage? Top and bottom ? External
Door for access? Bet your ROC is 2k a min! Sounds like you got quite the airplane there
And yea all of us that we're young pilots back in that era in Alaska,we're all lucky to get to see the state when it was still the Wild West! When I started flying 30" Airstreaks in late 70's folks back here had never even seen a set! Now everyone has them just to fly off paved runways..,,.. Lol

Turbo beaver I tried to send you a pm but your inbox is over capacity lol.
Was trying to send you my email that way I could send you some pictures.
Roddy

I've had both 160 and 180 hp, and I would take the 180 any day because on floats there is a greater safety margin

Real wrestling matches with those big wings??

We have been leaving the light weight battery in the stock location. Much better cg.

Roddy,
Try it now, just dumped a ton of pm's full of" counter intelligence" lol
Dont think your very far from us as the cub flys! We are right at the south end of East Grand Lake?
E

wow a lot of info i have 2 180hp cubs 1 with stock wings 82/40 prop 1102 ew fuel burn 9gph av over 250 hr and a long wing 180hp cub 82/41 prop 1160 ew 350 hr av 9gph av rpm setting between 2000 and 2400 i also have a stock 150 hp cub ew 1133 i just sold it would do what the 180hp cubs will do
it.It is all in what you are needing your cub to do? a lightweight 180hp cub is hard to bet

Roddy,
Try it now, just dumped a ton of pm's full of" counter intelligence" lol
Dont think your very far from us as the cub flys! We are right at the south end of East Grand Lake?
E
Ha Ha! I've seen some of the "intelligence" that goes back and forth across that counter of yours; pretty scary at times, but lots of fun.

Its interesting to read all of this. There are definitely some strong opinions in this old thread. I don't have a ton of experience flying many truly lightweight cubs, although I think a large number of "lightweight" cubs are not as fit and trim as they are portrayed. I went straight from a 7GCBC to a 180hp cub and have flown 6 other cubs with varying hp and weights. The owner sold me this cub after he nosed it over on top of illiamna and had the whole plane rebuilt as a result. In the cubs defense, he had also nosed over another plane a few years before he bought the cub. He was afraid of it because he said it was very nose heavy. When I went to pick it up he removed about 100+ of "safety" gear out of the tail of the plane.

I have done a few things to lighten it up, mostly in the nose, but not too much yet. I can tell you that when I was looking to buy a cub I wasn't looking for a 180. Now that I have it and have flown it about 110 hours, I will not have another cub that isn't at least 180. In my experience I don't have any nose weight issues with flying it any more than I did with my citabria. The cub is a bit heavier overall than the citabria, but it is faster, lands shorter and takes off much shorter than the 7gcbc as I had it configured.

I took my daughter on her Talkeetna mts caribou hunt and we were able to get out of a spot that was a small 500 ft bench at 5500ft elevation with 3/4 in each 24 gal tanks of fuel, me (180lbs), my daughter (150lbs), about 130 lbs of hunting and camping gear and a whole hog of a caribou in the belly pod. We got out of there in less than 300 feet. The prop I have is not real flat, and my cruise speed with 35" tires is right at 100 with no head or tail wind at 2300 rpm. And at that combo I have a 7gph fuel burn. If I am doing a lot of climbing or if I increase the rams significantly the fuel burn goes up, but not really any differently than my 150hp citabria would if I was working it hard either.

I really have no reason to cruise at any higher rpm and most of the time I am flying with other cubs and have to lower the rpms down to the 2000-2200 range to stay even with them... Then my fuel burn drops dramatically. With the engine and prop combo I can take off slightly shorter than I can get into, so there is never a question when it comes time to leave. All in all I think I found the perfect plane for my situation, although yours will likely vary.

12640513_10205986239037947_9221835469934308994_o.jpg

150hp A model on Wip amphibs last night. Doug gets out of impressively small lakes with this set up. One of the nicest flying cubs on floats I've had a chance to fly.

561461b341c67b6878bb79d1.jpg

BLR VG's
Extended baggage
X-Brace
82-41 Borer
150hp Narrow deck
That's about it (oh and a bum radio... :???: 8)

Last edited:
I've owned both hundred sixty horsepower supercub on 2150 and a cub Crafters hundred and eighty horse and 2150 and Iwith 60 gallons of fuel if you're going to travel heavy and you're going in and out of small lakes I would recommend a 180 horse just my two cents

Hello!
old thread but still valid.
I got 6,5 USG at 2000 RPM and 80 KTS in my 180 HP supercub (Jensen modification) without leaning the engine.
How does that compare to other supercubs?
/J

Back