• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Need Poly-Fiber color advice

I was trying to decide what color tin to use on the outbuildings and hangar, at the same time I was getting ready to order the plane paint. I coincidentally had the color charts from Poly Fiber and the metal roofing outfit on the kitchen table at the same time, and the light went on "screw it, everything green and cream". Everglades green and Daytona white that is. Certain times of the year that paint scheme really looks good.

I chose insignia white, Pontiac red and a silver trim color in Polly Tone. I chose Polly Tone for ease of repair based on recommendations from most all the guys up here. DO NOT, I repeat, do not use a color your wife didn't choose, pays dividends later. Go ahead and be creative though. My paint scheme started as an early Piper original but I added the Phoenix bird to the sides, it's the only part of a Beech Stagger wing I could ever afford. Their are a bunch of really nice looking Cubs on this site that have strayed off the reservation and came up with some cool paint schemes. Go for it, paint what you like, not what others like! image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgSorry for the double pic. Don't know how to delete it..image.jpgRon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 299
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 366
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 290
When I did my Avid I wanted something that looked Cub, but was easy to keep clean, and would melt the ice off in the winter. I went with Juneau white and Tennessee Red. The white has the slightest cream color to it and the red is pretty darn red without being fire engine neon red. On cold days, the red will absorb the suns heat and melt off the snow and ice where as the white won't.

Attachments

• AFF on the beach.jpg
    AFF on the beach.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 197
For the red, you probably want Pontiac Red as previously mentioned. Its a clean,bright red with no brown, maroon or orange in it. The whites a bit of a crapshoot but if you want something slightly cream, probably Juneau white is the one. Glacier is somewhat gray. I just had mine painted Insignia white (pure bright white) with Pontiac red stripes and Dakota black trim and I love it, but then I personally prefer straight bright white.

Those are the colors I am thinking of. But where did you put the Dakota Black Trim, exactly?

Leading edges, spinner and an accent stripe on the V-stab.

Attachments

• IMG_7523.JPG
    IMG_7523.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Perry would never do anything to make that a liability.

Nope, never.

Of course it might just be random quick-stick-on numbers.

Hope he can't remember mine - - -8)

Wow! That N-number sure is BIG!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
Wendy, I was going to go with little numbers on the tail, but all that white empenage looked barren in my layout drawings. Probably a dumb reason, but it's done now. And Gordon is right (for once), they ARE stick on numbers. As soon as I figure out HIS number, I'm going to buzz the state capitol. Of course, your airplane is the right color, what's your N number??

Run your stripe full length - it breaks up that white expanse better than foot-high numbers, and makes your fuselage look more graceful. Opinion!

I'm not messing with it! Its Aerothane, and it's not a lot of fun to work with after the fact. Finish /paint is a place I can get in trouble real fast. I'm happy with it as is.

Anybody know what the color matches j3 yellow poly tone? I need a A quart of enamel to do my cowling I want to buy it from Napa so I don’t have to pay the expensive hazmat charges

My local parts store paint dept can scan the old paint and match it. Last two times I brought the cowl to them to match, you can’t tell which parts are the new paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What store is it? My NAPA store doesn’t have that capability

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I use a PPG auto paint place. Most of the time I use Deltron for sheet metal. It a 2 part acrylic lacquer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back