• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Canadian Log Books, 337, Importing aircraft.

Marshmallow

Missoula Montana
Hello Everybody, I hope that all is well with you.

I have located a nice J3 in Canada that I am thinking about buying which will need to be imported to the USA. I understand the process mostly. It will go something like this. I will go up to Canada, and get a foreign pilot license (FLVC) for $45 that allows me to fly Canadian planes recreationally for a year. I will then fly the plane to Montana and clear customs. Once there, a bill of sale will be issued and the plane will be deregistered in Canada and the airworthiness certificate will be exported (not sure what the export fee is). Once deregistered, I will register the plane with form 8130-1. Now all I have to do is get the new airworthiness certificate and I think that involves form 8130-6. Here is where it gets a bit cloudy and the first question:

1) If I have an export airworthiness certificate, do I need a conformity inspection from the FAA or DAR after the annual as there is a bilateral agreement between Canada? Or...is there another form that I can sent in to just apply for a US airworthiness certificate other than the 8130-6 because, under the bilateral agreement, the aircraft conformers to TC A-691 because it conformed in Canada and I have the exported airworthiness certificate?

Next question and this might be a tricky one:
2)In Canada, is there a 337 equivalent form? Here is the reason for asking. The airplane will be coming into the states with 3 modification. a) new covering and paint (STC - Aero-Tech), b) Cleveland 6.00x6 wheels and brakes (STC? bought from Cub Crafters, if not Univair can sell me one), c) Wag-Aero 11.5 gallon wing tanks (installed according to their STC). It is my understanding that once the plane gets into the states, that the mechanic will not find a 337 for the 3 modifications and will need to create 337s modifications even though the modifications are listed in the log books. Since there is a STC for each modification, will he be able to sign off the 337 and there will not be any delay in completing the annual inspection? Am I even close here on the 337 question?

I don't have any problems bringing in the Feds, just that there would be a time delay with that. Also there is only one DAR in the state of Montana that I know of and that would also be a delay and added cost getting him to my city and back for the conformity inspection.

Thank you for your time in considering these questions. I have searched the forums, but frankly the search engine doesn't seem to work very well for me, but is another topic.

Merry Christmas and I hope your warm and toasty this holiday season.

Peace.

Not that easy. Check that the J3 has not gone in to the 'owner maintenance category' in Canada, it may be impossibly expensive after that.

No 337's just STC's and (rare) LSTCs (closest thing to a 337 that I can make out).

You might be licenced to fly a Canadian plane, but the previous owner will have to stay the owner and on his insurance while it is on the Canadian register, Make sure you have a permission letter from the owner allowing you to fly his plane when you cross the border. Personally I would not do this, we flew our Arrow down to the USA, and delivered it to the buyer.

It might just be easier to buy it, put it on the N-register, get a ferry permit then start flying?

Don

I have sent them across the border but not back into the states. Sounds like you would have to have a US mechanic willing to sign those major repairs/alterations off? I am sure it can happen just take some time.

Hello:
I think I have an answer to question #1 about exporting the airworthiness certificate, or sometimes called an 'Export C of A'. I call the local FSDO and no matter what the Feds or a DAR will have to get involved in issuing a US airworthiness certificate. The export airworthiness certificate only lets the Feds know that it conforms to the type certificate. Basically it eases their minds. Since the US and Canada are so close together in standards, it really is not needed. Form 8130-6 will still need to be filled out and the FAA or a DAR will still have to inspect the plane to verify that it does indeed conform to the type certificate.

Question 2 is a bit difficult with regards to the 337. I believe this is outlined in CARs Part V - Standard 571 Appendix L. Basically there is no form. The AME puts the major alteration down and sends it in. I call the place who would be doing the annual, and they said that if there is a documentation with the STC etc done in Canada that they can show the feds, then that would be acceptable. The feds said that the AI would have to do a 337 for the STC and the mechanic could sign it off and thus sign off the annual which is needed also on form 8130-6.

Getting closer to understanding the entire process.

Peace.

It is my understanding that we have a treaty that makes this stuff doable. We somehow recognize what other aviation agencies have approved, and that way we do not have to re- approve everything. I do understand that there are probably a lot of inspectors who are not up to speed on such things.

Coming into Canada, Transport Canada does not recognize 337's for minor modifications. If it's a 337 for an STC installation, then no problem (provided all the paperwork is there, including instructions for continued airworthiness). The upside is you shouldn't see any minor modifications going back to the USA, only STC'd modifications with a logbook entry. Your import inspector may require a 337 after the fact, you may even be able to track down the original installer who can fill in and sign a 337? For the most part, work done by a Canadian AME (aircraft maintenance engineer) is accepted by the FAA and vice versa. For some reason they can't do annual inspections.

Aerodon

Marshmellow, I'd recommend Darrell Freeman in Post Falls, ID. He is a DAR and has experience with importing Cubs. He inspected my experimental too. A good guy who knows how to get things done.

Canadian Aircraft Maintenance Engineers may not approve major repairs or major alterations for return to service, in accordance with 14 CFR §43.17(e)(1),(2)..bup bup

For an aircraft that was built in the US and was exported, no Export C of A is required to bring it back. It's just coming home. You will need proof that it was deregistered in Canada before registering it here. TCCA has a form that you include with your application for Registration and Bill of Sale that you send to FAA in Oklahoma City. You need to get the actual registration certificate or a flywire before you can make application for an Airworthiness Certificate. You will need a 100 hour inspection completed within 30 days of application for Airworthiness. You will need a complete AD listing for airframe, engine, propeller, and all installed appliances. You will need a weight and balance and equipment list that reflects the current configuration of the airplane. You need records that meet 91.417. The aircraft will need to be marked in accordance with 45.22 or 45.23 & 45.25. If any STCs are installed, you need a copy of the STC, and if the limitations on the STC identify a Flight Manual supplement or ICAs then you will need them. The airplane has to have all the placards identified in note 2 of the TCDS, and if a Flight Manual is required, you need that also. If the aircraft will be owned by a corporate entity, you will need a notarized letter from a corporate officer authorizing you to sign the application on behalf of the corporation, and the mechanic that does the 100 hr has to be available to sign the application also.

As a general rule, airplanes that come from Canada have better records than ones here in the US, but there are exceptions.

I would talk to the DAR that you are going to use to verify that he will be looking for the same things, but what I listed is pretty much right out of Order 8130.2h. I've done lots of airplanes coming home, lots of imports, and lots of exports. Canada is the best place to get an airplane from since that is the only country that we have a maintenance agreement with.

As stated by others, if it was on their owner maintained program at will most likely be more difficult. An example might be if the engine was overhauled by the owner, you would be looking at sending the engine out for overhaul by a repair station or an A&P. Any non FAA approved alterations would either have to be removed, or you would have to get FAA Approval for them.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is a older thread, but curious on average what the cost of importing a cub from Canada is? after all the fees and paying a DAR.

I don't know what the customs fees might be, but I usually charge $1000 for my DAR work on imports and exports for single engine airplanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is a Canadian maintenance engineer the same as an A&P? I note that A&Ps do not approve 337s here. It takes an IA. I think.

There are no customs fees, US and Canada have some sort of agreement on airplane and agricultural equipment that allows free import into the US, or at least that was the case when i brought in a set of EDO 2000's a few years ago. But if you want you can hire a broker to help you get across the border and fill out the non-existent paperwork for you and those fees start at $500 and go up based on value of import. When I crossed they looked at my bill of sale, tapped on the floats as they walked around them and wished us a good day, and that was US customs, I couldn't hardly believe it...

Back