Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brad Pitt buys new airplane.

Post Thanks / Like

Brad Pitt buys new airplane.

Brad Pitt's Airplane of Choice Comes Straight from the Skies of World War II

December 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM | by JetSetCD | Comments (0)

Fury, starring Brad Pitt and Shia LaBeouf, is a World War II drama following the trials of a tank squadron as they infiltrate Nazi territory. The movie's not due out in theaters until November 2014, but the crew has nearly concluded filming and Pitt's congratulated himself for his own hard work by buying an airplane.Since this is Brad Pitt we're talking about, the airplane in question won't just be any old thing; the purchase is in fact a WWII Spitfire flown by the Royal Air Force. The price tag? A cool $3.3 million.

In actuality we kind of feel bad for Pitt, as he's got this brand new toy and yet an inability to play with it. You see, Brad has his private pilot's license but no training in these historic aircraft, although rumor is he's working on that right now in Oxford, at the Boultbee Flying Academy. It was actually Angelina who got her license first, in 2004, and even son Maddox has taken lessons. How long do you think it'll be before the entertainment press start calling Brad "Spitfire Pitt?"

Post Thanks / Like
    More money than brains

Post Thanks / Like
    Well,, If'n I had that plane and he had a feather up his ass,,,, we'd both be tickled... Orrr maybe its the other way around....I cant remember...

Post Thanks / Like
    At least he didn't buy a cirrus. Maybe the p-51 was too trite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't Tom Cruise have a P-51?
    I should've been an actor, but being uglier than a mud fence...

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad WHO?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for him, I hope he doesn't hurt himself

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd give him a hand with anything he'd care to share...... I admire the guy, he's obviously worked hard to get where he is in one way or another... just different than ways than most of us, ha! On the flip side, No one cares what or where I do whatever I want.. priceless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, me too. Some really, really good aviators have died in such airplanes. Most recent was apparently in Texas off the coast. But then again, you only live once.

I think to fly one of these, 200 Cub hours would be a good start, so long as all of them were on or near the airport.

Post Thanks / Like
    While Brad is busy with his new toy I could make sure Angelina is not bored.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub junkie View Post
    While Brad is busy with his new toy I could make sure Angelina is not bored.
    Pretty sure I have neither the skills nor the pocketbook necessary to handle either one.

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RanchPilot View Post
    Pretty sure I have neither the skills nor the pocketbook necessary to handle either one.
    Haha, +1

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenLucke View Post
    I'd give him a hand with anything he'd care to share...... I admire the guy, he's obviously worked hard to get where he is in one way or an other... just different than ways than most of us, ha! On the flip side, No one cares what or where I do whatever I want.. priceless.
    I'd bet that you work 10 times harder making a living. I've never met you but his face is just better organized then yours that have opened a few more doors for him. Hollywood trash in my opinion.

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 12-05-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RanchPilot View Post
    Yeah, but you at least gotta try!!
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sensing a lot of negative comments here. It is important to say nice things about people, and as far as I know, Mr Pitt is a law abiding family man. Mr. Pitt earned the money, and he can spend it on what ever he wants to. If he wants to put that plane in his living room, so be it. It is a free country.

Remember it is the holiday season. Cheer and goodwill towards your fellow man, or in this case, a fellow pilot and his pilot wife.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is hard to admire much coming out of Hollywood these days. There are so few people there that seem to represent anything even remotely positive. Brad at least seems to place value on family and raising children. I'm not sure if buying a WWII fighter is the responsible path for a father of so many children. Being a low time pilot makes it seem even a bit more risky. Then again, I'm probably just jealous....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
    I am sensing a lot of negative comments here. It is important to say nice things about people, and as far as I know, Mr Pitt is a law abiding family man. Mr. Pitt earned the money, and he can spend it on what ever he wants to. If he wants to put that plane in his living room, so be it. It is a free country.

Remember it is the holiday season. Cheer and goodwill towards your fellow man, or in this case, a fellow pilot and his pilot wife.
    I look forward to many more posts from the distinguished member from Missoula. Perfect way to start things off!
    Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by soyAnarchisto View Post
    At least he didn't buy a cirrus. Maybe the p-51 was too trite.
    I read somewhere that Angelina owns a Cirrus and he also owns a Caravan. I also believe that another actor, Cliff Robertson, also owned a Spitfire.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the earlier comment about refrain during the holidays!!

pathetic though when the gloves come off from these hollywood type they reveal their distain for the regular folks
    In other words I can have the expensive toys and burn all kinds of carbon but you cannot

Merry Christmas

Do like Angelina's dad he seems like a normal fellow

Post Thanks / Like
    I love that a person can purchase a Spitfire...

I love it even more that he is getting training before he goes and flies it!!!!!!

Just think, we get ten or twenty folks like him in the air flying war birds and super cubs, our political pull to stop some if the regulations will be increased ten fold!

He can bring that bird to my house any time!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post

Amen
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet if most of here had the money and the desire, we would have one too. I gladly accept him into the aviation brotherhood. Rick.
    Never stay level!!!!!

Exeter N.H.---Spruce Creek Fly-in(7FL6) Daytona Beach FLorida
    Post Thanks / Like
    "FLAUNT IT Brad----I love that MERLIN MUSIC-----there are 3 P-51s` based here at Spruce Creek and they sure attract a crowd----John

"You cannot teach experience, you must acquire it."
    Captain Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    What good is it if he keeps all his money? Better to spread it around to those hardworking craftsmen who restore beautiful airplanes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely have to agree with the last several comments. I hope he gets proper training and enjoys many happy hours in the Spit. If I could afford it, I'd have one too! NO, actually I'd have a F6F Hellcat. Just as AKTANGO said, we need more celebrity types like Pitt, Ford etc. on our side. --- P.S. I also want a Bearcat. --- and a F3F. --- and a Skyraider.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

Post Thanks / Like
    Having worked in a warbird restoration shop I have to agree with Tony. I am glad there are people who can afford to restore and maintain these airplanes and we all get to enjoy seeing them fly and even occasionally get to ride or fly them ourselves. The typical warbird owner has drastically changed in recent years from the good old boys who bought them when they were cheap to the wealthy who can afford what it cost to keep them flying now that all the military surplus engines and parts are starting to disappear. There is also a check out program in place that weeds out the majority of pilots lacking the ability to safely fly these airplanes. I would much rather see, hear and feel these airplanes fly than look at one from behind the rail in a museum somewhere.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Having worked in a warbird restoration shop I have to agree with Tony. I am glad there are people who can afford to restore and maintain these airplanes and we all get to enjoy seeing them fly and even occasionally get to ride or fly them ourselves. The typical warbird owner has drastically changed in recent years from the good old boys who bought them when they were cheap to the wealthy who can afford what it cost to keep them flying now that all the military surplus engines and parts are starting to disappear. There is also a check out program in place that weeds out the majority of pilots lacking the ability to safely fly these airplanes. I would much rather see, hear and feel these airplanes fly than look at one from behind the rail in a museum somewhere.
    Amen!!

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, seeing these airplanes in action creates great memories. Watching the warbird action at airshows is great. Have always thought the Spitfire a beautiful airplane and then there is the P-40 and the corsair, and---and-- As a young boy growing up in Wyoming watching the mighty B-36 fly over the Big Horn mountains----a sound unlike ANY other. Come buzz my house Brad--- anytime. Life is good and am happy to have had the experiences I've enjoyed. Most recent was a 450 P&W powered --40 foot wingspan work plane that reminded me of my first ride in a '59 Cadillac---only this Caddy FLYS.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the pleasure of meeting Harrison Ford when he and his wife came through Juneau and Glacier Bay a few years back. He was just another pilot - at least that is how he prefers to be recognized.

Bob Turner wrote:
    "Yeah, me too. Some really, really good aviators have died in such airplanes. Most recent was apparently in Texas off the coast. But then again, you only live once."
    That pilot of the P-51 from the Lone Star Flight Museum was a friend and very skilled. He was a former Navy jet jockey but while he was flying the fast stuff, he also owned and flew a Stearman. He was very proud of a picture of his Stearman in formation with an F-14 Tomcat. I have not heard of the results of the investigation.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know of a lot of very good warbird pilots that have been killed in them as I have known many a good Cub driver the same, they will all just about kill you.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I know no one personally who has been killed in a Cub. The guy who flew the Bearcat at Reno would buy me a tank of gas every time I flew in to his duster strip - he died when something happened during cruise flight. A good buddy's uncle died in a P-51 a couple decades ago. There are a lot fewer warbirds than Cubs, and my stories are not statistics, but I am going to go out on a limb here and say the Cub is significantly safer to operate than one of these WWII fighters.

I agree with the sentiments above - Brad will probably be a superb Spitfire pilot. He should get a couple hundred hours in a Cub or Stearman first.

Opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    A very good friend and fellow PA-12 owner was killed in a 65 HP Champ - it was pilot error, stalled on takeoff. The Champ stalls differently than a Cub. And I would venture to guess that the warbirds are much less forgiving in flight characteristics than a Champ. I imagine that one must be very aware and focused to fly those old beauties safely. And even with perfect piloting, there are complex electric-hydraulic-mechanical systems that can fail. Just musing here - - I suspect it is every pilot's dream to fly those WWII fighters, but I think a more serious mindset would be required, as compared to hopping in the Cub for a little flight. As the man said, opinion!
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen nothing to give the thought that Mr. Pitt is not willing to be focused and engaged while flying his aircraft. Seems we are going into some sort of idea warp that we all know who the gentleman is...

Well, let us review what we know:

1. he is an actor that makes enough $ to invest in his passions, some by donation to others, some by buying his dream

2. he is married and adopted children

3. his choice of aircraft is impeccable

4. I am a bit jealous

5. We share his love of aircraft

6. contrary to others on this site, he decided to get training BEFORE he flies his new aircraft

7. He (I am guessing here) can afford to pay for a good annual each year, including having repairs made, to a Spitfire

8. He can afford to schedule, and fund trips to airshows to show children and adults that piece of history

9. his politics might be different than ours

And the one thing we know about him, the number one top ten:

10: we all sound like A$$s speculating about him and his life!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    11. He has Angelina to come home to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub junkie View Post
    11. He has Angelina to come home to.
    That might be the sole reason for me to crash the thing.... but some of the other comments here sound like they're coming from some of the posters neighbours... "look at that rich bugger flying low over my house, who the hell does he think he is... probably running drugs.. how else does he pay for that and his airstrip?"

Come'on folks... I have no real use for Pitt or his acting, but he earned his money and is free to spend it where he seems fit..... unlike someone that put his Saratoga in the Ocean ... with just a couple hundred hours of flight time after thinking Oshkosh would be a fun visit.
    Last edited by irishfield; 12-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Impeccable choice indeed! Good for him...
    perhaps one of the most beautiful aircraft ever made ...
    so cool to see them still flying ! what an honor it would be to own one

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Do you actually believe what you read on a celebrity website on the internet.
    2. Buying a Spitfire if an I emphasize IF its true is far from the worst thing a celebrity has done with their money.
    3.Why is it any of my business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pierce- What does it actually take to maintain one of these? Lets say you spend a few million on a restored airframe. How expensive is an annual? How long does a Merlin go before it needs overhaul? It seems that the restoration of a warbird is an epic undertaking but maybe once that is completed they might have relatively normal operating expenses...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    It is hard to admire much coming out of Hollywood these days. There are so few people there that seem to represent anything even remotely positive. Brad at least seems to place value on family and raising children. I'm not sure if buying a WWII fighter is the responsible path for a father of so many children. Being a low time pilot makes it seem even a bit more risky. Then again, I'm probably just jealous....
    +1 Unlike the Hollywood P-51 owner Tom Cruse who is a complete flake and the 99% rest of the Hollywood crowd. Brad & Jolie have adopted three kids. Made the largest personal donation to the United Nations refugee program and I applaud them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Rallyer View Post
    Pierce- What does it actually take to maintain one of these? Lets say you spend a few million on a restored airframe. How expensive is an annual? How long does a Merlin go before it needs overhaul? It seems that the restoration of a warbird is an epic undertaking but maybe once that is completed they might have relatively normal operating expenses...
    Thats funny right there!

MTV