• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Brake lines

C-YQK

HeyWant to use a flexable hose with an exterior stainless braidAny suggestions on which hose to use and the smallest diameter?ThanksGary

I have used the stainless braided Teflon on many aircraft. A #4 (1/4") or a
#3 works well. I have used this type of lines on brakes and hydraulic lines, on Cubs to Lancairs and never a line failure.

www.anfittingsdirect.com

Just for looks?

All you need is the appendix in AC23-27, and a conforming logbook entry, and you can use anything. They do not make hoses that are less than 4000 lb working pressure any more for brake application. Just make sure the flares are of the same type and that you keep pipe threads with pipe threads. The originals were black rubber, 800# hoses.

.... The originals were black rubber, 800# hoses.

If you have changed over to disc brakes and high pressure master cylinders, DO NOT USE the original black rubber hose with the crimped on fittings. They can leak around the fitting and can swell up when stepping on the brake thus reducing the brake effectiveness.

That is true, but I do not believe you can buy those old hoses any more. The proper hose is at your NAPA dealer, tested to 5000#. You need to cite a whole bunch of technical stuff in the aircraft log to use it, but it is now legal.

Steve P
Thanks for the hose recomend

666 isn't that number the sign of something bad about to happen???
Hope the plane doesn't mind

Gary

Back